Home $weet Home

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Home $weet Home

Post by Warren »

If all you're looking for is manual labor and not experience/expertise (an you have the proper tools) I'd think you'd be able to find some muscly lads what would work under the table. Don't you have Mexicans in WI? Or did Donald deport them all?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

We are battling Pantry Mice. Assholes. Can't find entry point.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Ellie, you might be able to ask around to find some carpet installers that want some extra work on an evening or weekend or day off, not through their employer. They'd be less tied to the idea of wanting you to buy it from their company. Probably a friend of a friend of a friend thing.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 08:36
We are battling Pantry Mice. Assholes. Can't find entry point.
You'll never seal mice out of your house, too many small openings. Mice are battled with traps. I recommend bog standard spring traps baited with peanut butter.

I find it concerning that you're getting mice at the height of summer. Grass is in full bloom and they shouldn't be coming in from the outside searching for food. If you are continuing to get mice week after week they may be nesting in the house. Definitely need to hunt that down and tear it out if that's the case.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Spring traps are affordable but tend to make a VERY bloody mess. If you want to avoid that and are willing to spend a little bit more (assuming it's just a couple mice, and you try dealing with this yourself rather than hire a professional exterminator), you might want to splurge on the individual plastic-box traps where the mouse is lured inside (IIRC we used peanut butter as bait), and dies pretty much in the same manner as with a spring-trap, except the dead mouse and assorted ick is all trapped in the box itself. (IOW, you need not handle any mouse corpses; merely dispose of a small box containing one.)

OTOH, those traps are pretty pricey. IIRC, we had to pay something like four bucks per single-use trap, five or six years ago.

We also had success with those standard poisons, and FWIW the mouse who ate the poison fortunately died in the middle of our kitchen floor, rather than crawl away to some hidden spot to die and thence stink up the house.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex »

cosign the plastic snap trap solution w peanut butter but be prepared to deep clean your surfaces because mouse guts, once forced through a mouse anus by incredible force, are very messy.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Warren

Post by Warren »

Are you guys using rat traps? I've murdered scores of mice with Victor spring traps and only occasionally have had a drop of blood and guts leak out. Usually on the trap itself.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Caught 2 so far using enclosed hide the crime traps because wife. The evidence is it isn't that many and they occupy the space between the back of the fridge backing up to the garage wall, and the pantry right next to it. Sealing door keeps them out of pantry.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I'm back on my tiny house bullshit and have been watching a lot of tours on the Living Big in a Tiny House YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL999ZDYL8QbTqnT8PZshZzJa7tat-Vdcj). The host is Kiwi and has that accent of raising all the vowels, where a short "e" in America becomes a short "i" in New Zealand. Which is, of course, extremely hilarious to me when he and his guests talk about decks.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

:D :D NEW OVEN :D :D
IMG_2204-compressed.jpeg
IMG_2204-compressed.jpeg (99.25 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
See how well it goes with the uwave. Coffee maker and air fryer fit right in as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Totes jelly. we need one because the oven won't always stay on after preheating. Nothing like coming back a barely warmish oven when you thought your food was going to be done. Even when preheating it often doesn't start up until a burner on top is started.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Nice!

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ha! We just ordered a new oven for our rental house and, dammit, it's nicer than the one we have at home.

Because we unfortunately have other priorities that have driven our housing decision, we've been stuck in houses without gas ranges for decades now and it sucks. I don't really give a shit about a gourmet kitchen because most of our cooking is and will remain fairly basic, but damn I wish I had a gas range!

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 19:34
Ha! We just ordered a new oven for our rental house and, dammit, it's nicer than the one we have at home.

Because we unfortunately have other priorities that have driven our housing decision, we've been stuck in houses without gas ranges for decades now and it sucks. I don't really give a shit about a gourmet kitchen because most of our cooking is and will remain fairly basic, but damn I wish I had a gas range!
Oh how I feel your pain. I feel it so acutely because it is also my pain. The only gas range I ever had was in my first apartment. It was a basement studio apartment next to a flop house. Also, I didn't know how to cook then (Ask me about the gravy). There's no hope of getting a gas range here as even the furnace is electric (there was a detached wood burning furnace when we moved in, but we sold it to one of the guys that installed our heat pump when the AC unit gave out).

The old oven has been on it's last legs for the past few years. I had to dig two appliance bulbs out of the ceramic socket when they burned out and then the socket was so worn away you couldn't screw a new one in. This unit has two lights and I don't know that they're even replaceable.

One thing about the new oven, the old one vented out a small tube in the top, this one has forced air ventilation out the whole width of the bottom. You can hear the fan run but it's pretty quiet, for now at least. And it's an INCH BIGGER. It fills the cabinet completely. Any bigger and we'd have to remodel the kitchen. The guy that installed it had to cut away the opening all the way to the walls, and then had to gouge out a bit more for a couple of screw heads. I'm really digging the extra space. Oh and the heating element is under the floor which can be huge if something makes a mess in there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway »

I've been really impressed by the quality of the oven on our 2 year old GE Profile range. Very stable temperature, very good heat retention. Takes on the order of 3-4 hours to cool down if you keep it closed. And yeah, heating element below the floor, with a depression in the floor even for a "steam cleaning" (pour some water in and turn it on, but I've never tried it).

I'll recommend induction again for you guys that think you're missing out because you don't have gas. It's really been great.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 19:50
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

Oh how I feel your pain. I feel it so acutely because it is also my pain. The only gas range I ever had was in my first apartment. It was a basement studio apartment next to a flop house. Also, I didn't know how to cook then (Ask me about the gravy). There's no hope of getting a gas range here as even the furnace is electric (there was a detached wood burning furnace when we moved in, but we sold it to one of the guys that installed our heat pump when the AC unit gave out).

The old oven has been on it's last legs for the past few years. I had to dig two appliance bulbs out of the ceramic socket when they burned out and then the socket was so worn away you couldn't screw a new one in. This unit has two lights and I don't know that they're even replaceable.

One thing about the new oven, the old one vented out a small tube in the top, this one has forced air ventilation out the whole width of the bottom. You can hear the fan run but it's pretty quiet, for now at least. And it's an INCH BIGGER. It fills the cabinet completely. Any bigger and we'd have to remodel the kitchen. The guy that installed it had to cut away the opening all the way to the walls, and then had to gouge out a bit more for a couple of screw heads. I'm really digging the extra space. Oh and the heating element is under the floor which can be huge if something makes a mess in there.
Propane.

And propane accessories.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 01:43
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

Propane.

And propane accessories.
I grill out on the deck when it's nice out.
Some people do have exterior propane tanks for their furnace, just not us.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 02:07
lunchstealer wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 01:43
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

Propane.

And propane accessories.
I grill out on the deck when it's nice out.
Some people do have exterior propane tanks for their furnace, just not us.
I'm just sayin' get one for your range. Or lump charcoal if you're hardcore but temp control is harder for non broiling applications.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

dhex

Post by dhex »

Gotta find me some parts and fix this cam riser on my fridge. Door keeps opening at rando times.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Highway

Post by Highway »

dhex wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 07:50
Gotta find me some parts and fix this cam riser on my fridge. Door keeps opening at rando times.
Isn't that more of a problem with the seal? If the weight of the door can pull it open, it seems like less of a problem with the cam riser.

dhex

Post by dhex »

The upper part of the riser blew apart due to stress. Gonna replace both parts.