It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Kolohe

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by Kolohe »

Which is possibly the drawback of the binge era vs the episodic era, where the seams were always plastered over by week long breaks.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 13:04
Which is possibly the drawback of the binge era vs the episodic era, where the seams were always plastered over by week long breaks.
Not to mention 23 eps. per season with reruns.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 12:56
What's the "Hollywood Neverloader"?
Guns that don't run out of bullets.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 13:13
thoreau wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 12:56
What's the "Hollywood Neverloader"?
Guns that don't run out of bullets.
After seeing some of the tech in season 2 (e.g. climate-controlled outdoor areas so that they can have jungles, deserts, and Alaskan wilderness on the same island), how they reload guns is just not even a concern.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

I got through my Prisoner randomization watch. I can see why this bounced off me when I was younger. It's very much a show where you need to just roll with things no matter how sketch much of the "technology" is. I was much more into verisimilitude early in life.

I did mix up the episodes randomly but ended up saving the last episode for last. When I started watching it I realized they were showing clips from a prior episode that hadn't seen. So I put that aside until the end. In an odd coincidence the last episode I watched before that was actually the first episode. So I watched all the intervening episodes then watched the first and last back to back.

I don't think randomizing the episodes mattered that much actually. They are an episodic format so he always ends up back in the village at the end. There are some that have some reoccurring characters but there isn't a lot of deep characterization so watching them out of order wasn't full of too many surprises.

I'm still trying to decide how much I actually liked the show. There are episodes I liked and in general the themes in it were interesting. But there was also a lot of ideas that they really didn't do that much with (or went way off on some odd tangent). One of the problems with being innovative is that often everyone following you copies you but actually end up doing a better job than the original. I feel like I've seen a lot of these concepts in later works done better. So the show sometimes feels kind of thin in places. Something at the time likely wouldn't have been an issue.

My favorite episodes where Checkmate, A.B.and C. and Free for All. I found the Village interesting and the more they strayed from it the less interest I had in it. The ending was kind of whatever. I can't decide if there was something to it or it was just pretentious and vague.

McGoohan really had a lot of charisma and I really enjoyed his performance (even if he does run like a spaz). He's at his best though when bouncing between sarcasm and indignant scene chewing proclamations. His face is fun to watch. When things strayed out of those areas it didn't work so well and felt a little forced or artificial.

And finally, in the command room, what was that rotating see-saw thing with the two guys looking at cameras on either end? I imagine it was just supposed to look hi-tech but every time they cut to that room I would find myself trying to come up with some purpose for it (I failed).

Also if this pic isn't used in a meme already it should be.
McGoohan1.png
McGoohan1.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1836 times

Warren

Post by Warren »

Painboy wrote:
05 Feb 2020, 23:11
And finally, in the command room, what was that rotating see-saw thing with the two guys looking at cameras on either end? I imagine it was just supposed to look hi-tech but every time they cut to that room I would find myself trying to come up with some purpose for it (I failed).
Then it worked perfectly!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I've finally watched HBO's Carnivale over the past several days. I'm sad it's over.

I haven't read up on it too much yet, but I suspect when word came down they were cancelled, the producers and writers kinda hurried the story along. The last few eps and the finale left a bit to be desired, even if it also left me wanting more.

I wonder if the combination of slow storytelling, rather hopeless setting, dense mythology, and fantastical elements were just too ahead of its time? I mean, Twin Peaks aired more than a decade before Carnivale, but that was killed seemingly through a combination of the network execs interfering for an answer to Laura's murder, Lynch walking away from it, and lowered ratings. From the little I've read about Carnivale, it was just lower ratings in season two that killed it. I haven't seen anything about network interference, and the showrunner had 4 more seasons outlined. I think if it premiered within the last few years, we'd have gotten more seasons.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I watched in on DVD after the show run so I don’t remember the TV exec politics of it. (Frankly, I’m still a little mystified on how HBO does ‘metrics’ with a broad subscription base on no ads.) I do think now they might be picked up by someone else if HBO wanted to pull the plug.

In hindsight, the project was missing just one more big star, either already established or breakout, to make an iconic character - which is the other defining feature of Golden Age TV. Clancey Brown certainly pulled his own weight, but Nick Stahl (who I had to look up) and the other woman (who I’m not going to bother looking up again) were in some other things at that time (the 3rd terminator movie is underrated) but haven’t done anything else in 10 years?

ETA ok I looked it up and the woman’s been in VEEP and Handmaids Tale. So I blame Nick, who was a proto version of one of the Chris’s (Pine/Evans/Hemsworth/Pratt) but didn’t quite make the cut.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD »

Watched the first two episodes of Hunters. It wasn't terrible but I don't think I'm going to watch anymore. The production values are generally high, the worldbuilding is pretty good, and the acting is pretty good. But at its core it's a big-budget Nazisploitation flick. It can't really decide whether it wants to be a dark and gritty exploration of morality and consequences, or a goofy 1970s-style buddy action movie, and as a result it comes across like somebody aping Tarantino, but without the talent. If you're going to go from painstakingly recreated Holocaust atrocities to chopsocky over a funk soundtrack, you'd better have a really deft hand with it, and these showrunners don't.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

JD wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 10:44
Watched the first two episodes of Hunters. It wasn't terrible but I don't think I'm going to watch anymore. The production values are generally high, the worldbuilding is pretty good, and the acting is pretty good. But at its core it's a big-budget Nazisploitation flick. It can't really decide whether it wants to be a dark and gritty exploration of morality and consequences, or a goofy 1970s-style buddy action movie, and as a result it comes across like somebody aping Tarantino, but without the talent. If you're going to go from painstakingly recreated Holocaust atrocities to chopsocky over a funk soundtrack, you'd better have a really deft hand with it, and these showrunners don't.
Pretty much this. I will say, however, that if Thoreau watches far enough into the series, he'll be amused by the nature of the big Nazi plot.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I thought people told me The Good Place was clever and funny. I’m not detecting either.

Warren

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 17:07
I thought people told me The Good Place was clever and funny. I’m not detecting either.
Hmmm. I'd heard the same thing, but was skeptical from the clips.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 17:07
How far into it are you?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

3/4 into season 1

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 19:34
3/4 into season 1
Finish season one. If you’re not hooked by then it’s not your show.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 20:02
JasonL wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 19:34
3/4 into season 1
Finish season one. If you’re not hooked by then it’s not your show.
And report back. I wanna know how you land.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Ok. The jokes are kinda landing as obvious right now. I’ll get through s1.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I liked it quite a bit. (I have only seen the 1st season).

JD

Post by JD »

I am sorry that Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda is over. I understand and appreciate why they ended it (running out of decent cases, basically, and it was starting to show) but I will miss it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

My wife loves that show. I do appreciate his laconic-ness. (I'm sure he appreciates that a much better looking dude plays a young him).

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 11:11
I am sorry that Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda is over. I understand and appreciate why they ended it (running out of decent cases, basically, and it was starting to show) but I will miss it.
Air Disasters has now had an entire season of here-are-three-previous-cases-that-are-alike (all distracted pilots, all skillful landings with dual engine failure, all terrorist or missile attacks, etc) so I assume they're out of cases, too. Or at least out of money.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 17:52
JD wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 11:11
Air Disasters has now had an entire season of here-are-three-previous-cases-that-are-alike (all distracted pilots, all skillful landings with dual engine failure, all terrorist or missile attacks, etc) so I assume they're out of cases, too. Or at least out of money.
I thought they were just repeat shows, because I remembered seeing all of them. But the "repackaged as a triplet" thing sounds right too. (sarcasm)Oh darn, there just aren't enough airplane accidents to keep that show going. (/sarcasm) Disasters at Sea just doesn't cut it, tho, as a replacement. They just don't have the formula right (too much repeated going over things).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

The Henry Louis Gates genealogy show, Finding Your Roots, seems to be doing this repackaging thing lately as well. The last couple of episodes have all been people that were profiled a season or two ago, but with a single theme (but not biology) linking all the guests on that episode.

Which is also odd, because there’s really just 3 or so recurring themes. 1) Someone is Askenazi Jewish, and so has ancestors in the Pale of Settlement. 2) someone is African American, and so
traces their family tree to an enslaved ancestor where the plantation owner is also an ancestor. 3) someone has a ancestor in a tiny village in Italy or Scotland

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Well I gave Killjoys a fair shot. I was hoping it would fill the Firefly-shaped hole in my heart, but unfortunately it was all high-contrast lighting, lens filters, overbearing soundtrack, douchebro dialogue, and confusing worldbuilding. It's a shame too, because I like Aaron Ashmore.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Finished the first season of Into the Badlands, a post-apocalyptic kung-fu western soap opera. It's not good in the sense of writing, acting, or direction, though the camerawork is pretty solid. The real star in the fight choreography, which raises the question of why a cheap basic-cable action drama can shell out for a decent fight director and Iron Fist just couldn't be bothered.