If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Eric the .5b

Re: If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2019, 19:45

thoreau wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 18:59
Meanwhile, Quebec is denying immigrant status to a French citizen who grew up speaking in France, completed k-12 and college studies in France, and did a doctorate at Laval University (where the language of instruction is French) in Quebec. Why? Because one chapter of her dissertation was written in English.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5351155
But they have to protect their Frenchness, Thoreau. It's constantly under assault from anyone, anywhere, who knows any English. Especially sneaky French girls.

(I have to admit, I genuinely wonder why she wants to emigrate to Quebec, but maybe she got into a graduate program she really likes or something.)
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Nov 2019, 19:50

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 19:33
Why isn’t there an explanation of why she couldn’t send proof of three years of secondary school in French? Did she go to some kind of English school for high school in France? That part is just weird. (Second bullet in the photo of her rejection letter.)
It's not about fluency it's about anglo-hate. She had the temerity to publish English words in her thesis. She is untouchable.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Nov 2019, 20:10

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 19:45
thoreau wrote:
Meanwhile, Quebec is denying immigrant status to a French citizen who grew up speaking in France, completed k-12 and college studies in France, and did a doctorate at Laval University (where the language of instruction is French) in Quebec. Why? Because one chapter of her dissertation was written in English.

But they have to protect their Frenchness, Thoreau. It's constantly under assault from anyone, anywhere, who knows any English. Especially sneaky French girls.

(I have to admit, I genuinely wonder why she wants to emigrate to Quebec, but maybe she got into a graduate program she really likes or something.)
She moved there in 2012 for a PhD, finished her PhD there in the past few years, and presumably made a lot of friends and professional contacts. She's seeking to stay permanently. She wouldn't be the first person to spend several years doing a PhD somewhere and then say "I want to stay in this city."
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Nov 2019, 20:12

thoreau wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 20:10
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:

She finished her PhD there, and presumably made a lot of friends and professional contacts. She wouldn't be the first person to spend several years doing a PhD somewhere and then say "I want to stay in this city."
Quebec tho?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2019, 20:14

Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:

She probably chose Quebec because Quebec has lower barriers for people whose first language is French, so it was an easier way to get into Quebec (and ultimately, Canada).

As for her thesis, that one chapter was a collaboration published with an English speaker in an English language journal. FWIW, even the cabinet minister responsible for the program has admitted it was a screw-up. (Even though it was his government that promoted the new restrictions.) From 4,000 km away, it looks like another case of the 'pure laine' true believers that infest the Quebec Francopolice flexing their intolerance. [The ultra-nationalist Quebec Sovereigntists have nothing that distinguishes them from White Nationalists except their language of choice.]
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2019, 20:33

thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:

She moved there in 2012 for a PhD, finished her PhD there in the past few years, and presumably made a lot of friends and professional contacts. She's seeking to stay permanently. She wouldn't be the first person to spend several years doing a PhD somewhere and then say "I want to stay in this city."
Yeah, I get that...but it's in Quebec.

People shit on Texas all the time, but the only selling point of Quebec's I've ever heard is "it's where Canada keeps its French speakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Nov 2019, 21:54

The Quebec Ottawa suburbs are less awful from brief experience and damn-near-having-that-as-my-place-of-employment aren't nearly so militant and are indeed generally chill about the whole thing, except when you get to the government district that's full of Francophone bureaucrats, some of whom are the mirror of the Loud American.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Nov 2019, 22:56

No telling how that works in the rather rural spot she lives in.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Nov 2019, 00:48

Eric the .5b wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 20:33
thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:

People shit on Texas all the time, but the only selling point of Quebec's I've ever heard is "it's where Canada keeps its French speakers."
Lol, really?

You’ve never heard of the lowest drinking age around, plus full nudity with touching at strip clubs?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Nov 2019, 01:45

nicole wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 00:48
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:

Lol, really?

You’ve never heard of the lowest drinking age around, plus full nudity with touching at strip clubs?
Doesn't appear to be any lower than Mexico's drinking age.

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Nov 2019, 05:22

nicole wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 00:48
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
thoreau wrote:

Lol, really?

Also, almost everyone in Montreal, men and women, is hot.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Nov 2019, 07:00

Mexico is not exactly nearby.

I mean, I don’t care, I obviously don’t want to live there myself, but in my experience it’s a popular destination. And it definitely has its draws.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 08 Nov 2019, 11:14

Old Quebec City is really nice. (And probably the most English-speaking part of Quebec, ironically.) I haven't seen much of the rest of Quebec, but what little else I saw seemed unremarkable. But one man's poisson is another man's poison, of course.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Nov 2019, 11:24

Old Quebec City is a sort of quaint touristy place. Like a big Frankenmuth MI.
Fun to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Nov 2019, 12:31

Montreal is definitely the most English-speaking part of Quebec.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 08 Nov 2019, 12:38

nicole wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 12:31
Montreal is definitely the most English-speaking part of Quebec.
Because it has a major English-speaking university, hosts an international jazz and international comedy festival and because, truth be told, Francophone Quebecois don't hate English speakers, they hate English speaking Canadians.

But for its winters, Montreal would be a lovely place to live.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Nov 2019, 16:39

nicole wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 07:00
It's only the other country bordering the US by land and a Hell of a lot closer to Texas, California, etc. than Quebec. :)

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Nov 2019, 20:04

Eric the .5b wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 16:39
nicole wrote:
It's only the other country bordering the US by land and a Hell of a lot closer to Texas, California, etc. than Quebec. :)
Yeah...but it’s nowhere near Quebec, which was my original point. I think the idea is, Quebec is the Mexico of New England.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Nov 2019, 20:11

nicole wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 20:04
Eric the .5b wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 16:39
nicole wrote:
Yeah...but it’s nowhere near Quebec, which was my original point. I think the idea is, Quebec is the Mexico of New England.
Well, it helps to point out the context you mean (that is, to a New England teenager) when you just say it's "closer" (when Mexico's closer to about half the country than New England or Quebec is) and act incredulous that I don't find the lower drinking age there (one year less than the rest of Canada!) significant when I'm in my forties.

Mo

If We Build It, They'll Probably Still Come

Post by Mo » 09 Nov 2019, 15:29

Do they know the bad guys built this wall? Also, that it didn’t really work (well, not without the mines and the machine gun nests)

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Nov 2019, 17:28

Mo wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 15:29
Do they know the bad guys built this wall? Also, that it didn’t really work (well, not without the mines and the machine gun nests)

5 man guard post every 100 m manned 24/7 = 5 men x 3147km x 10 posts per km x 4 shifts = over 600,000 jobs!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 10 Nov 2019, 00:24

Mo wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 15:29

Hans, they want to be the baddies.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 10 Nov 2019, 00:31

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 10 Nov 2019, 21:45

EEK!

Just in case the tweet gets memory hole'd: https://gothamist.com/news/armored-ice- ... earms-bust
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Nov 2019, 22:01

Jesus actual fucking Christ.

is-this-real-life.gif
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex