Ladyfashun

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Ladyfashun

Post by Warren » 21 Jul 2019, 12:25

Ellie wrote:
21 Jul 2019, 11:07
Today Facebook wants me to buy this dress. It's cute and all, but how do you actually stand up straight in it without (in the immortal words of Project Runway) showing all the good china?
I'm sorry. Did you say something? I was thinking about something else.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 22 Jul 2019, 11:49

Ellie wrote:
Today Facebook wants me to buy this dress. It's cute and all, but how do you actually stand up straight in it without (in the immortal words of Project Runway) showing all the good china?
I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jul 2019, 15:38

Male gaze is inappropriate. Sorry lost in thought.

The good china you say?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 22 Jul 2019, 15:55

Ellie wrote:how do you actually stand up straight in it without (in the immortal words of Project Runway) showing all the good china?
You could bend over in it. That seems like an excellent idea. I strongly recommend bending over in it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Aug 2019, 20:15

This is not actually "fashion" so much as "antifashion," but: I found this sweater in a Goodwill today and originally decided not to buy it, then changed my mind after figuring it might come in handy someday as a half-ass emergency Halloween costume. It's a little bit big on me -- size "small" but runs large and in a baggy cut* to boot, but if I can find a wide yellow belt, pants or leggings in the right shade of blue, and maybe something like a red leotard (or miniskirt?) to wear under the sweater, it could work.

*Come to think of it: even though I found this in the women's section, this might actually be a man's sweater.

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Aug 2019, 21:44

Ellie wrote:
Apropos of nothing, I happened to recall this old post of yours today and figured out the answer to your question: I think this is one of those dresses where (seriously) you're supposed to use double-sided sticky tape to hold things in place.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Sep 2019, 04:31

Is there an official name for that variant of button-front shirts where you can't see the buttons because they and the buttonholes are hidden behind a thin fold of cloth?

nicole

Post by nicole » 30 Sep 2019, 05:29

The feature itself is called a “hidden placket” or “hidden button placket.”
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Sep 2019, 07:01

Thanks!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Oct 2019, 21:44

Jennifer wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 14:23
I'm still going through the process of trying to replace pretty much the entirety of my summer wardrobe, after discovering that clothes which work very well for New England summers, and passably well for northern Virginia, plain do NOT cut it in the sweltering soup that is north Georgia. But one thing I find maddening is when I see what would be a perfectly good lightweight blazer, skirt, dress or something -- right color and cut for me, and also made of linen, rayon or silk rather than sweat-hoarding cotton or some non-breathable synthetic -- except the designer gave it a non-breathable POLYESTER LINING.

I'm wondering: is it possible to buy such a piece and then cut out the lining altogether, without damaging the shape or cut of the garment? Or would removing the lining be the clothing equivalent of tearing down a house's supporting wall?
For future reference, I learned something important regarding blazers/jackets (and whether or not you can remove a polyester or otherwise-bad lining): check to see if the lining only lines the torso part of the jacket, or if the lining goes into the sleeves. I found two blazers in the past two weeks which are awesome -- exactly my size, very flattering cut, and both the right shade of black to transform almost any of my "black pants and solid-color blouse" combos into professional/interview-acceptable outfits -- but of course both have polyester linings.

For one jacket, only the torso was lined, and the lining only attached to the jacket at the seams. That meant I could not go with my original idea of using a seam ripper to remove the lining, but with fabric scissors it was easy to rip the lining and simply cut it out in one piece -- when the jacket is inside-out you can clearly see the thin strip of polyester left over from the lining, but not when I'm wearing the jacket, and since the jacket itself is rayon that thin string of polyester won't make it unwearable even on hot and humid days.

Second blazer is mostly cotton, which would make it a "winter" blazer down here ... except the polyester lining covers the entire inside of the jacket, sleeves included, and after feeling around -- I'm not sure how to describe it, but I think the lining might be more integral to that jacket than the lining of the first one (as in, connected to the jacket itself in multiple places, not just seams).

That jacket is nice enough that I'm thinking about taking it to an alterations place to see if maybe a professional can do it. Dunno what they'd charge even if it were a feasible service, though.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Oct 2019, 17:54

Seriously -- what the HELL is up with this business of hybrid button-front/pullover blouses? At first glance, on the hanger, it looks like a regular buttoned shirt that you'd put on via taking the unbuttoned shirt, putting your arms in the sleeves, then fastening the buttons... except at the very bottom of the front, the two sides of the shirt are sewn together, so if you wanted to wear it you'd have to pull the whole (unbuttoned, or at least partly unbuttoned) shirt over your head, same as a regular pullover top. I've found a handful of such items lately -- not enough to call it an actual "trend," but enough that it's clearly not just an odd one-off. And I am fairly certain the shirts were MADE that way; this is not something the shirt's original owner decided to do for some reason before donating it to the thrift shops.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Oct 2019, 19:57

Jennifer wrote:
07 Oct 2019, 17:54
Seriously -- what the HELL is up with this business of hybrid button-front/pullover blouses? At first glance, on the hanger, it looks like a regular buttoned shirt that you'd put on via taking the unbuttoned shirt, putting your arms in the sleeves, then fastening the buttons... except at the very bottom of the front, the two sides of the shirt are sewn together, so if you wanted to wear it you'd have to pull the whole (unbuttoned, or at least partly unbuttoned) shirt over your head, same as a regular pullover top. I've found a handful of such items lately -- not enough to call it an actual "trend," but enough that it's clearly not just an odd one-off. And I am fairly certain the shirts were MADE that way; this is not something the shirt's original owner decided to do for some reason before donating it to the thrift shops.
That sounds like some horrific mutation of a polo shirt.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Oct 2019, 00:53

Or just a really badly executed henley or anorak. But henleys are almost always knits and anoraks are that way to make them more weather-tight.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Oct 2019, 02:16

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 00:53
Or just a really badly executed henley or anorak. But henleys are almost always knits and anoraks are that way to make them more weather-tight.
[Googles "henley shirt"] No, definitely not that; judging from the photos, it appears a henley is basically a pullover shirt with a few buttons below the neckline, presumably so the wearer can choose how deep of a V-neck to have. And anoraks are cold-weather gear, which definitely doesn't apply to ANY of the clothes I've been looking for these past many months.

Imagine a regular pullover shirt with a regular hem sewn all around the bottom. Then imagine you take scissors and cut the shirt down the middle, from the neckline to just above the hem, put buttonholes all down one side and buttons all down the other -- basically, imagine you're converting that pullover into a button-down, EXCEPT you keep that hem unbroken all the way around. Which is why I did not so much as consider buying it and then cutting the bottom to make it a regular non-pullover shirt. (None of my Atlanta-summer shirts are pullovers, ever since I discovered the non-stinging facial sunblock I always wear outdoors will sometimes leave grease-spot-style stains on fabric. Luckily, I made this discovery with a very old shirt that was only a couple more wearings away from the ragbag anyway.)

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Oct 2019, 06:56

Jennifer wrote:
It’s called a “popover” and they’ve been semi common for years.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Oct 2019, 16:08

Popovers were a staple of brooks brothers style yacht frat dudebros for a while in the 50s and 60s iirc.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Oct 2019, 17:17

nicole wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 06:56
Jennifer wrote:
It’s called a “popover” and they’ve been semi common for years.
Thanks! In future, I think I'll just go ahead and tag you the next time I have a "WTF, clothing?" question. :)

That said: I still don't understand why they bother doing this -- if you want to sell pullovers, make pullovers. If you want to sell button-downs, make button-downs. I have no idea what is the presumed benefit of combining both into one garment.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Oct 2019, 18:18

dhex wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 16:08
Popovers were a staple of brooks brothers style yacht frat dudebros for a while in the 50s and 60s iirc.
Were they buttoned most of the way down, though? When I looked up men's popovers last night, they were described as only going down a quarter of the way.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2019, 05:01

Eric the .5b wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 18:18
dhex wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 16:08
Were they buttoned most of the way down, though? When I looked up men's popovers last night, they were described as only going down a quarter of the way.
[Googles "women's popover shirt"] Huh, turns out what I saw is not a popover shirt after all. With popovers and henleys, it's obvious at first glance that the wearer had to put it on by pulling the whole shirt over their shoulders and head. With these weird hybrid shirts I saw, it is not.

I just thought of a more succinct way to describe those shirts I saw: imagine a shirt that is exactly identical to a "button-on" as opposed to "pullover" top, including a line of buttons going all the way down one side of the shirtfront and buttonholes down the other side -- literally the only difference is that the bottom hem is the "unbroken circle" of a pullover shirt, rather than the "line" of a button-on shirt.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Oct 2019, 21:44

Disappointing but not surprising: I took the "awesome blazer with evil polyester lining" to the nearby cleaner/alterations shop, told him about my wish to remove the lining, and asked if he could do it and if so, what the cost would be. He inspected it and told me that given the labor involved, the cost would be much greater than the value of the jacket, but once he realized how dead-set I am to wearing anything 100 percent polyester, he was kind enough to spend a couple minutes giving some tips on how I could cut out the lining without completely wrecking the jacket (things like, "cut THIS far away from the seam, not closer as you might think").

I still haven't done it, though, for fear of wrecking it. Currently inventing justifications like "Well, there's maybe six or seven winter days a year here where it's cool and dry enough that I could MAYBE get away with wearing a polyester-lined jacket over a linen shirt" and so forth. If this were any other blazer/suit jacket I own I'd just say "fuck it" and re-donate it to a thrift shop, but this one happens to have the single most flattering-to-me cut and fit of ANY jacket I have EVER owned. Like, flattering up to and possibly beyond the point of dishonesty.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Oct 2019, 08:53

Jennifer wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 05:01
I just thought of a more succinct way to describe those shirts I saw: imagine a shirt that is exactly identical to a "button-on" as opposed to "pullover" top, including a line of buttons going all the way down one side of the shirtfront and buttonholes down the other side -- literally the only difference is that the bottom hem is the "unbroken circle" of a pullover shirt, rather than the "line" of a button-on shirt.
I wonder if that's a temporary stitch to help it hang nicely on hangers in the store, and you're supposed to snip that apart before you wear it, but whoever originally bought it didn't know that?

Like how there's all that stuff you're supposed to snip on a jacket: https://www.thread.com/tips/categories/ ... ew-blazer/
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Oct 2019, 10:17

I simply won't know what people are talking about in this thread till it starts a new page.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Oct 2019, 14:55

Ellie wrote:
24 Oct 2019, 08:53
Jennifer wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 05:01
I wonder if that's a temporary stitch to help it hang nicely on hangers in the store, and you're supposed to snip that apart before you wear it, but whoever originally bought it didn't know that?
That was my guess the first time I saw such a shirt, until I inspected it more closely -- it wasn't merely "one or two threads" connecting the bottoms of the two front pieces; this was a HEM -- the bottom-most bit of fabric folded up and sewn into place all the way around the bottom of the shirt. (Of course, now that I have posed this mystery to the Gryll I've been looking for an example of such a shirt to snap a photo, and of course now I'm not finding any.) Had that first shirt only had a thread or two connecting the bottom, well, even MY non-existent sewing skills can cut a piece of thread.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Nov 2019, 14:48

Grrr. Once again I need to re-learn, apparently from scratch, the entire concept of "how to dress appropriately for local climate conditions." I know how to dress for overly hot and humid weather (ideally everything rayon, second-best option being the lightest lightweight linen or silk). I know how to dress for cold-dry weather (wear layers, and make sure the layer closest to your skin is NOT cotton, but some material that will wick moisture away from you), and chilly-dry weather (single layer is fine but bring a jacket just in case, and since it's only "chilly" rather than "cold" you can even wear cotton). What I can't figure out is "How to dress appropriately for temperatures that would be pleasantly 'crisp' or 'brisk' or 'bracing' someplace like New England, but Atlanta-level humidity makes it miserably chill and damp."

Jeff and I went to the botanical garden yesterday afternoon (51 degrees, gray, damp, chilly and with a fairly brisk wind). Getting dressed at home, at first I wore basically the same outfit I would've worn on a 51-degree day in Connecticut: cotton pants over a skintight pair of thermal underwear, and long-sleeved cotton shirt under a moderately thick corduroy blazer (one of the "journalism blazers" I bought back in Connecticut because it met two criteria: the color goes with dark blue jeans AND most shirts I'd typically wear with same; and the pockets are big enough to hold a reporter's notebook, my old voice recorder, several pens and other working-journo paraphernalia). The temperature in the apartment was perfect, only 72 degrees though muggy, yet within only a very few minutes I started getting that unpleasant "clammy" feeling until I remembered "Oh, right, no cotton next to the skin in damp weather." So I replaced that cotton shirt with a silk one (reminder: all else being equal, silk holds body heat better than the equivalent weight in cotton, AND keeps you drier than cotton too), and we went to the botanical garden, and ... yikes. I was unpleasantly chilly the whole time, but it was the EXACT OPPOSITE of unpleasant cold in the north: up there (provided you're wearing the proper clothes), you feel nice and warm "inside," but might experience some unpleasant chill "outside" (goosebumps on exposed skin, say). But yesterday, 51 degrees but super-damp, I never had a goosebump, my skin felt warm to the touch ... but I had a persistent nagging little chill at my core, and my clothes didn't help at all.

Come to think of it, I remember a similar experience our first year here, when we went to an outdoor flea market on a day pretty much identical to yesterday -- only on THAT day, I wore full-fledged New England COLD-weather gear: not just layers but a long wool overcoat, wool hat, gloves ... and still had that nagging persistent chill in my very core.

Serious, related observation: no WONDER lifelong Deep Southerners are so appalled at the very idea of living in the sort of climate you'd find anywhere north of maybe Delaware: if you don't know just HOW INTENSE is the difference between damp chill and dry chill ... if your primary experience of "it's 51 degrees outside" is that ultra-damp 51 from yesterday, and naturally think "If 51 is that bad, 31 must be absolutely MONSTROUS," and if you haven't experienced it yourself, no WONDER you disbelieve any Yankee who tells you "No, seriously, 30 degrees up there is a HELL of a lot nicer than 50 degrees down here. And 50 degrees up there is freakin' gorgeous, so long as you wear the right clothes." Whereas down here, I'm starting to doubt there ARE any "right clothes" to wear in those conditions.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Nov 2019, 22:42

Jennifer wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 14:48
Serious, related observation: no WONDER lifelong Deep Southerners are so appalled at the very idea of living in the sort of climate you'd find anywhere north of maybe Delaware...
Humidity is no joke. Chilly and cold weather is just nasty when it's wet.

There should be some drier weather headed your way from my neck of the woods, though.