Our AI Overlords Will be Dumb as Rocks

the innominate one

Re: Our AI Overlords Will be Dumb as Rocks

Post by the innominate one » 06 Sep 2017, 00:07

I like Twitter and get good use from it despite the existence of occasional shitshows.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Sep 2017, 00:31

I think the teaching point here is that we should all periodically post phrases like "is dead to me" on Facebook and Twitter.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Sep 2017, 11:35

Sigh. Programmers don't design features. Project leads, marketers, and UI people do. That's where most of the diversity in tech is concentrated, though when they want to announce someone not-SWM is "in tech" they count and when they want to highlight the problem of diversity they don't.

But engineers do not come up with features on their own nor design success criteria nor functional testing plans.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Sep 2017, 11:50

Jadagul wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 21:33
Jennifer wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 21:30
Mo wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 21:28
Jennifer wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 21:22
Mo wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 21:00
I think it's because a lot of the engineers/leadership is too young to have experienced the death of a close loved one, so they, for the most part, don't care.
Even if you're too young for it to be statistically likely that you've lost a spouse, same-age friend, parent or child, didn't these people have grandparents, for fark's sake?
It's way less jarring to lose someone whose time it is and who you likely only saw on holidays and major family events. When I was in high school, my grandfather died the same year as a good friend of mine from high school. I was sad when my grandpa died, but my friend dying fucked with my head for months.
No doubt, but even in high school, would you have thought grandpa's death was one of those happy-fun-awesome occasions you want your "year in Review" to remind you about?
If year-in-review reminds you of seven things and two of them make you go "meh", that's not a problem. Like, I've definitely had friends actively broadcast their amusement at Facebook reminding them of a skinned knee or some such.

It's only really a problem when the thing you're being reminded of is actually traumatic. And most of the Facebookers probably haven't experienced enough trauma for that to have occurred to them as a possibility. (It certainly wouldn't to me).
I think there's also the factor that people primarily post positive things to these sites. There's a strong presumption that if you shared something once, you'd want to see it again and possibly share it again (as part of a larger pro-sharing bias since they're trying to get you to make content and data for them).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

JD

Post by JD » 06 Sep 2017, 13:04

thoreau wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 22:47
My least favorite sentences in the English language are those that begin with "Can't you just...?"
Confucius say, "Everything is simple to man who doesn't actually have to do it himself."

But yeah, what a lot of people don't get is that while AI is almost creepily good at certain things, it's also hilariously bad at a lot of things, and - most important of all - it is not necessarily easy for us to judge which is going to be which. We've gotten a lot better at domain-specific AI (e.g., "play chess", or "recognize whether this picture is of a cat") but general AI (like, "decide whether or not Jennifer would consider this incident both important and not emotionally painful") is still incredibly difficult, because it relies on so many disparate pieces of knowledge that are implicit and that we don't even know how to represent well.

I'm reminded of one of the AI experiments that would receive data from its handlers during the day, and then at night it would mull them over and come up with hypotheses that it would run by its handlers in the morning. One morning it proposed, "Most people are famous." Uh, no, said the handlers; how did you come up with that one? Well, said the AI, you've told me about these 938 different people, and most of them are famous, so by induction it seems likely that most people are famous... That's an example of an AI kind of mistake that humans don't make despite never having been explicitly told, because it just doesn't occur to us.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Sep 2017, 13:28

AI and animal research both suggest that our intuitions about the significant features of cognition are pretty far off. In general there seem to be a lot of solutions that seem "clever" that have little to nothing to do with reflection, awareness or active cognition. It's not that animals are more human than we thought, it's that we look at the low hanging fruit as being more significant than it is.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Sep 2017, 14:19

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Sep 2017, 23:09

Watson for Oncology akin to a Mechanical Turk.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Sep 2017, 00:03

Youtube just recommended for me a Xtian video about how the True Understanding of the Council of Nicea shows the Hand of God at work.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 07 Sep 2017, 14:42

Mo wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 23:09
It was secretly powered by a midget inside it?
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Sep 2017, 14:44

JD wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 14:42
Mo wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 23:09
It was secretly powered by a midget inside it?
I don't know how tall the doctors at Sloan Kettering are.
In the case of Watson for Oncology, those human operators are a couple dozen physicians at a single, though highly respected, U.S. hospital: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York. Doctors there are empowered to input their own recommendations into Watson, even when the evidence supporting those recommendations is thin.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Sep 2017, 10:22

I'm super late to this discussion but wanted to observe that the multiple reaction options on Facebook now will probably help with the unwanted memories. It's hard to teach a computer the nuances of human emotion, but easy to say "if this got a high proportion of 'sad' reactions, don't include it in the memory feature."

I really like the Facebook memories, but that is because my own memory is shit so I'm always getting reminded of things I had completely forgotten.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Sep 2017, 10:43

Facebook is blocking accounts of ethnic cleansing in Burma. What a despicable company.

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Sep 2017, 10:56

Mo wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 10:43
Facebook is blocking accounts of ethnic cleansing in Burma. What a despicable company.
I don't believe that's the whole story. It doesn't fit with their left bias.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Sep 2017, 11:17

Warren wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 10:56
Mo wrote:
19 Sep 2017, 10:43
I don't believe that's the whole story. It doesn't fit with their left bias.
You misspelled "their $$$ bias."

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 19 Sep 2017, 20:26

My assumption is that a bunch of Burmese flagged the posts as offensive and they got eaten by an automatic filter.

I want to say that this is the problem with attempting to remove offensive speech at all.

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Sep 2017, 21:11

Seems like you should have a higher bar than "A bunch of people clicked 'Report'" before shutting down accounts. At the very least do some contextual analysis or have an actual person look at them, especially if you're doing it in places where the government is literally oppressing their people.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2017, 09:11

The rohingya should pivot to video
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Sep 2017, 09:17

🙃

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Sep 2017, 23:38

Making fun of this almost feels mean. Like picking on a baby because its dumb.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Sep 2017, 16:38

My new tablet insists on autocorrecting "Westminster Abbey" to "Westman sterling Abbey."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2017, 16:45

ducking thing

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Sep 2019, 14:47

It's VOX, but WTF?

Robot priests can bless you, advise you, and even perform your funeral
A new priest named Mindar is holding forth at Kodaiji, a 400-year-old Buddhist temple in Kyoto, Japan. Like other clergy members, this priest can deliver sermons and move around to interface with worshippers. But Mindar comes with some ... unusual traits. A body made of aluminum and silicone, for starters.

Mindar is a robot.

Designed to look like Kannon, the Buddhist deity of mercy, the $1 million machine is an attempt to reignite people’s passion for their faith in a country where religious affiliation is on the decline.

For now, Mindar is not AI-powered. It just recites the same preprogrammed sermon about the Heart Sutra over and over. But the robot’s creators say they plan to give it machine-learning capabilities that’ll enable it to tailor feedback to worshippers’ specific spiritual and ethical problems.

“This robot will never die; it will just keep updating itself and evolving,” said Tensho Goto, the temple’s chief steward. “With AI, we hope it will grow in wisdom to help people overcome even the most difficult troubles. It’s changing Buddhism.”

Robots are changing other religions, too. In 2017, Indians rolled out a robot that performs the Hindu aarti ritual, which involves moving a light round and round in front of a deity. That same year, in honor of the Protestant Reformation’s 500th anniversary, Germany’s Protestant Church created a robot called BlessU-2. It gave preprogrammed blessings to over 10,000 people.

Then there’s SanTO — short for Sanctified Theomorphic Operator — a 17-inch-tall robot reminiscent of figurines of Catholic saints. If you tell it you’re worried, it’ll respond by saying something like, “From the Gospel according to Matthew, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Roboticist Gabriele Trovato designed SanTO to offer spiritual succor to elderly people whose mobility and social contact may be limited. Next, he wants to develop devices for Muslims, though it remains to be seen what form those might take.

As more religious communities begin to incorporate robotics — in some cases, AI-powered and in others, not — it stands to change how people experience faith. It may also alter how we engage in ethical reasoning and decision-making, which is a big part of religion.

For the devout, there’s plenty of positive potential here: Robots can get disinterested people curious about religion or allow for a ritual to be performed when a human priest is inaccessible. But robots also pose risks for religion — for example, by making it feel too mechanized or homogenized or by challenging core tenets of theology. On the whole, will the emergence of AI religion make us better or worse off? The answer depends on how we design and deploy it — and on whom you ask.
At least you can program them not to touch the altar boys.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Sep 2019, 14:53

You missed the part where it’s Japan.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Sep 2019, 15:18

And the part about how it's been the plot of upwards of a dozen Star Trek and Twilight Zone episodes.