Twitter!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Dangerman

Re: Twitter!

Post by Dangerman » 03 Sep 2019, 08:00

Better banned than v&.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2019, 10:52

Dangerman wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 08:00
Better banned than v&.
???
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Sep 2019, 11:34

Warren wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 08:00
Better banned than v&.
???
Better banned than vampersand!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Sep 2019, 11:58

Better banned than vitameatavegamin! Though I disagree a bit.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 Sep 2019, 12:07

Getting vanned is what happens when the FBI pulls a van up to your house.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Sep 2019, 12:54

Dangerman wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 12:07
Getting vanned is what happens when the FBI pulls a van up to your house.
Down by the river?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Sep 2019, 00:56

Ouch.

@CaseyMattox_
Sohrab says civility is a secondary value.

French:: “what does this mean? What did you do in the great culture war of 2019? Well, I was an asshole on twitter.”
From a thread on a debate between David French and Sohrab Ahmari.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Sep 2019, 13:42

Oh you totally owned her, he said God not Jesus. A Christian totally believes they’re different things.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Sep 2019, 14:11

My fault for not knowing the audience, but still, how is one able to be an Air Force intel officer who was born in the 60s or 70s and not get a tribble reference?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Sep 2019, 20:40

Kolohe wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 14:11

My fault for not knowing the audience, but still, how is one able to be an Air Force intel officer who was born in the 60s or 70s and not get a tribble reference?
Gender norming
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Twitter!

Post by Mo » 13 Sep 2019, 18:51

What person in an $800k house in DC has a chef? Stephen Miller?

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Sep 2019, 20:33

I just retweeted Kim Kardashian. I feel weird.

But then, this block of tweets, amongst all the yammering about her product lines, is weird in a way I approve of:

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Sep 2019, 21:26

Mo wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 18:51
What person in an $800k house in DC has a chef? Stephen Miller?

Somebody's reply was "Man, Stephen Miller is angry."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Sep 2019, 21:58

Kolohe wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 14:11

I am disappointed that you explained it to her.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Sep 2019, 17:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 20:33

But then, this block of tweets, amongst all the yammering about her product lines, is weird in a way I approve of:

FWIW, there have been a few times before when she said or did something I approve of, and even times when I'd sympathize with her over her critics. One thing I recall (vaguely, and don't feel like looking it up) -- she married Kanye West so, while Kardashian and her sisters are considered "white" by American racist standards, her kids most certainly are NOT. And sometime after she had her first baby she started saying things to the effect of "I'm learning that black Americans even today face all sorts of discrimination which whites do not" ... and people criticized her for not knowing this already. (Seems like a counterproductive way to run an outreach program, if your standard welcome greeting is "You should've known this already!")
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Sep 2019, 18:10

Jennifer wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 17:44
Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 20:33

FWIW, there have been a few times before when she said or did something I approve of, and even times when I'd sympathize with her over her critics. One thing I recall (vaguely, and don't feel like looking it up) -- she married Kanye West so, while Kardashian and her sisters are considered "white" by American racist standards, her kids most certainly are NOT. And sometime after she had her first baby she started saying things to the effect of "I'm learning that black Americans even today face all sorts of discrimination which whites do not" ... and people criticized her for not knowing this already. (Seems like a counterproductive way to run an outreach program, if your standard welcome greeting is "You should've known this already!")
Yep. "Fuck you for trying to learn and come up with more informed positions."

JD

Post by JD » 16 Sep 2019, 10:17

I appreciate the more enlightened Kim K., and I don't want to come down on her too hard because I think her heart is in the right place. But the "did you know we don't let people on parole vote" thing is...kind of silly. I mean, parole is part of your sentence. People who are on parole aren't just randomly being fucked with; they're still working off their sentences, and they could often just as legitimately still be in prison. (That said, the larger issue of "why don't we let felons vote anyway" is worth discussing.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Sep 2019, 10:49

JD wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 10:17
I appreciate the more enlightened Kim K., and I don't want to come down on her too hard because I think her heart is in the right place. But the "did you know we don't let people on parole vote" thing is...kind of silly. I mean, parole is part of your sentence. People who are on parole aren't just randomly being fucked with; they're still working off their sentences, and they could often just as legitimately still be in prison. (That said, the larger issue of "why don't we let felons vote anyway" is worth discussing.)
I think you need to grade KK on a different scale. She's not so much making a point, and tending her brand.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Sep 2019, 13:17

The only really good thing on twitter (occasional Nick Mullen gems aside) is a quick interaction with Jesse Walker on country/roots rock.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Sep 2019, 18:19

Warren wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 10:49
JD wrote:
I think you need to grade KK on a different scale. She's not so much making a point, and tending her brand.
Eh, from what I've seen I'm inclined to believe she is sincerely trying to make the world a better place. After all, her "brand" as I understand it was/is about clothes and fashion and jewelry and hanging out with celebrities and otherwise living a luxe lifestyle, all of which have exactly fuck-all to do with trying to improve things for the worst-off members of society. It's not as though Kardashian's newfound "wokeness" consists merely of things like "Here's a photo of me looking hot at some $5,000-per-plate Poverty Awareness fundraiser ball."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Sep 2019, 18:43

JD wrote:
Yeah, and? It's a perfectly reasonable thing to argue that disenfranchisement shouldn't be part of that punishment in California. There's every combination of "no disenfranchisement at any point" to "you better get a pardon if you ever want to vote again" in various states. All of four states, including California, specifically ban parolees from voting.

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 Sep 2019, 06:38

Oh OK
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Sep 2019, 07:19

dhex wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 06:38

Oh OK
Yeah, like shitheads like that would not start complaining after day 1 on the railroad, or humping trees up a mountainside. Although if you got any useful work out of those clowns at 18 dollars an hour for doing trades work, you'd be way ahead.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 17 Sep 2019, 10:06

Eric the .5b wrote:
16 Sep 2019, 18:43
JD wrote:
Yeah, and? It's a perfectly reasonable thing to argue that disenfranchisement shouldn't be part of that punishment in California.
Sure, and that's not what she was arguing.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Sep 2019, 10:06

The best part is "the twerking video" is...of an exercise class

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex