The Techno-Bleg Thread

Painboy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Painboy » 13 Aug 2019, 19:57

Dangerman wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 18:42
I wouldn't spend money on RTX until there are more than 3 games with ray tracing.
The RTX cards are a better buy than the GTX with the release of the Super series. A RTX 2070 Super is basically equivalent to a GTX 1080, or even 1080ti, for less money. Also the higher end GTX cards are starting to go out of stock. And you get the bonus of being able to use ray tracing when it becomes more ubiquitous (ex. Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to be using a fair amount of the capability).

JasonL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2019, 20:06

Painboy wrote:This was something I just threw together on pcpartpicker website. Spec wise this would be just under cutting edge. GPU is the biggest variable in price. CPU coming in second. GPU and CPU are just below top end on that build. Going top end will add another ~$100 for the CPU and another $300 or so for the GPU. You can play around on it and do some research on the individual components if you want.

I went Intel but AMD has some a CPU line that is currently the new hotness. However some of the parts are having stock issues right now. Also with computers I tend to stay away from brand new versions as there always seems to be a number of teething problems early I don't want to deal with. But you may get a little more bang for your buck if you go AMD.

Also I have personal brand preferences for Gigabyte, eVGA, and Corsair.

Also also I wasn't sure if that price was supposed to include the monitor. That would change things some.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.88 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1430.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-13 18:27 EDT-0400
You can drive all that on 550W? I had a 700 in my old ass build.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Aug 2019, 02:33

JasonL wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 20:06
Painboy wrote:This was something I just threw together on pcpartpicker website. Spec wise this would be just under cutting edge. GPU is the biggest variable in price. CPU coming in second. GPU and CPU are just below top end on that build. Going top end will add another ~$100 for the CPU and another $300 or so for the GPU. You can play around on it and do some research on the individual components if you want.

I went Intel but AMD has some a CPU line that is currently the new hotness. However some of the parts are having stock issues right now. Also with computers I tend to stay away from brand new versions as there always seems to be a number of teething problems early I don't want to deal with. But you may get a little more bang for your buck if you go AMD.

Also I have personal brand preferences for Gigabyte, eVGA, and Corsair.

Also also I wasn't sure if that price was supposed to include the monitor. That would change things some.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.88 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1430.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-13 18:27 EDT-0400
You can drive all that on 550W? I had a 700 in my old ass build.
The site says the estimated wattage is only 414W. Not sure how accurate they are but a lot of processors are a lot more efficient these days. And I assumed you weren't going to be into overclocking or dual GPUs.

Also I've been doing more research and you might be able to save a $100 or so with a different CPU. The one I listed is probably a little overkill even for game focused computer. I'm still looking into it.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Aug 2019, 12:41

One assumes that we don't need to factor a Windows seat into the hardware budget?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Aug 2019, 13:38

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 12:41
One assumes that we don't need to factor a Windows seat into the hardware budget?
The last Windows OS I bought was Win 7. I used that to upgrade to 8.1 and then to 10. That software key has lasted through several PCs.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Aug 2019, 13:44

Yeah, I'm thinking of a new build, but will wait for AMD CPU stock issues to clear.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Aug 2019, 11:14

I have an off-brand video camera with an off-brand battery that says "Fits CAS. NP-40, 3.7V, 1250mAh." It's faulty. I found a different off-brand battery on Amazon that says, "Fits Casio NP-40, 3.7V, 1500mAh." Does the difference in mAh mean I can't use it, or would it be fine?

(When it comes to electricity, I'm barely one step above James Thurber's grandmother.)
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Aug 2019, 11:17

mAh stands for milliamp-hours. More is always better. If a battery is the same voltage and physical form of the one you're replacing, you're good to go.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 18 Aug 2019, 14:41

Thank you! Yay!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2019, 09:24

Still thinking about the new desktop. Another friend proposed this build. Same case and GPU so I’ll probably do that. Thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sniperthe ... iew=9V9vWZ

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2019, 09:29

Also, I have spotty wifi in back deck/patio area. Cable modem is in office near from of house and I want to use wired connection to desktop in that office, so I can’t really move the modem and router as a unit into the center of the house. What’s the best way to get improved signal in the back yard?

I’ve heard signal boosters kinda don’t work well. Mesh network?

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Aug 2019, 09:32

JasonL wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 09:29
Also, I have spotty wifi in back deck/patio area. Cable modem is in office near from of house and I want to use wired connection to desktop in that office, so I can’t really move the modem and router as a unit into the center of the house. What’s the best way to get improved signal in the back yard?

I've been happy with the signal booster we've been using for a couple years in the previous apartment and this apartment. We did just buy the equipment for a mesh network in the (no longer all that) new place though. But we haven't set it up yet so I don't have a sense of how much better it will be.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Aug 2019, 09:35

JasonL wrote:Also, I have spotty wifi in back deck/patio area. Cable modem is in office near from of house and I want to use wired connection to desktop in that office, so I can’t really move the modem and router as a unit into the center of the house. What’s the best way to get improved signal in the back yard?

How are the wires done? It's really not that difficult to put in cat 5e wiring, especially if you can go into the basement or attic. Could you move the router easily if you wanted?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2019, 10:50

I probably need to figure out my wiring. There’s a bundle of cat 5 in the basement but I don’t see it run into a junction

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Aug 2019, 10:55

JasonL wrote:I probably need to figure out my wiring. There’s a bundle of cat 5 in the basement but I don’t see it run into a junction
It may be that the house is wired, but the previous owners took the switch with them, or that they were all connected to their ISP router that they needed to return. You might be in good shape. Are there any jacks that look like network ports in your rooms?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 19 Aug 2019, 13:06

The H500 has terrible cooling, so be prepared to lose GPU performance, like actual measurable clocks +/- 100MHz. New GPU archs are very thermally limited. Not a big deal but make sure you are prepared to add a fan or two above what is stock with the case.

I would recommend something with a mesh front.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2019, 14:10

Highway wrote:
JasonL wrote:I probably need to figure out my wiring. There’s a bundle of cat 5 in the basement but I don’t see it run into a junction
It may be that the house is wired, but the previous owners took the switch with them, or that they were all connected to their ISP router that they needed to return. You might be in good shape. Are there any jacks that look like network ports in your rooms?
I think this is right. The bundle of cat 5 in the basement was tucked away but had split out ends. May have been a switch at some point.

PS why do switch boxes not support plug heads in and out.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 19 Aug 2019, 15:15

JasonL wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 09:24
Still thinking about the new desktop. Another friend proposed this build. Same case and GPU so I’ll probably do that. Thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sniperthe ... iew=9V9vWZ
That looks good to me. After having done some more research I've changed my opinion on the new AMD processors. I'm even going to trying the same one myself here shortly. Hopefully I'm not still cursed when it comes to AMD.

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Aug 2019, 20:47

JasonL wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 14:10
Highway wrote:
I think this is right. The bundle of cat 5 in the basement was tucked away but had split out ends. May have been a switch at some point.

PS why do switch boxes not support plug heads in and out.
I'm not quite following your PS there. Every switch I've seen has been a bank of jacks, and you need to plug patch cords into them. Now, I have seen where you wire the house, and you run all the wires to a patch panel, but then you take that and use pre-made patch cords (because they're cheap and reliable, a lot moreso than making your own cables) to connect to your network switch. Maybe the people in your house pulled out the patch panel and took it with them, if they have a whole big nest of Cat 5 cabling just sitting there with no ends.

Are there jacks in your rooms? If so, you'll need to figure out what wiring pattern they used to bring the wires into a patch panel.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Aug 2019, 21:52

There are jacks in some rooms - 3 I think total. The builder was very committed to having coax running everywhere and cat 5 only some places. Ugh yes I need to figure out pattern it's unattached in the basement.

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Aug 2019, 22:16

It might be something that you could pay an installer about 2 hours worth of work to do. Would you want more wires run? Like maybe from the prime place to set the router? They could probably also run coax to it.

Our house is about the same way (built in 1998). There is coax and phone in every single room, but there was no ethernet anywhere. It only took me about 3 years to realize that I really needed the ethernet everywhere, and I was able to do that myself - used plenum rated cable to drop down the air return from the attic to the basement, and then cheat wired the first floor from the basement through the HVAC vent openings, and dropped the wires down the walls from the attic, so now I've got wired ethernet in every room upstairs, and in the family room with the home theater downstairs. And I learned that punchdown jacks are super easy to use, while trying to make your own patch wires with plugs is a super big pain in the butt.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Aug 2019, 14:15

Gonna be honest, because you can pick among name brand components and with the pricing they have, these guys have a compelling story for my preferred toolbox approach.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD ... nfigurator

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Aug 2019, 14:36

JasonL wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 14:15
Gonna be honest, because you can pick among name brand components and with the pricing they have, these guys have a compelling story for my preferred toolbox approach.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD ... nfigurator
If I ever buy a whole new computer again I'll probably go a similar route. But I tend to update incrementally so it always seems like a waste of money to buy a whole new thing when often a number of parts in the current computer are only like year old.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Aug 2019, 14:49

I'm just at cycle for most things. 2012 for core components. I've got at least a power supply busted, but not 100% that will solve the woes all told. Also had weird heating shut downs that my guy said was almost certainly a faulty heat sensor that he just turned off. I hate my tower. Even keyboard is janky. It's time to reset I think. Yeah those guys have a lot of stuff on sale and a much wider set of name brand options for almost every piece than I used to see in custom shops.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Aug 2019, 15:35

I think I'm going to spring for that Samsung PCIe SSD. That thing is screaming fast compared to everything else I see. The m.2 SATA WD 500gb does read/write at 545/525. The Samsung PCIe 500gb does read/write at 3,500/3,200. Zoiks. Now my budget is off tho.