The Techno-Bleg Thread

dhex
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by dhex » 11 Jan 2019, 09:10

so chrome has decided i can't upload files anymore. not in gmail, or my cms, or basecamp or anything. been turning off all extensions and nothing works. updated to latest version. can drag to upload but upload file buttons are all broken across all sites.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jan 2019, 11:49

dhex wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 09:10
so chrome has decided i can't upload files anymore. not in gmail, or my cms, or basecamp or anything. been turning off all extensions and nothing works. updated to latest version. can drag to upload but upload file buttons are all broken across all sites.
But it works with other browser?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dhex » 11 Jan 2019, 11:51

Yuh.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Jan 2019, 20:08

Weird. I'd suggest making sure Chrome is fully updated and restarting it. If it's still a problem and you use any extensions, try disabling all of them. If it works them, try re-enabling until you identify the extension that breaks it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Jan 2019, 19:01

i prepared to start the extension turnoff cha cha cha (i'd already tried adblock and ghostery and even https everywhere) this AM but lo and behold everything in chrome is working again.

it was up to date on friday so i got nuttin

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Apr 2019, 09:44

ARGGH iMac only a few years old and wifi died.
Anyone have experience/advice for wireless adapters?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Apr 2019, 09:54

Warren wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 09:44
I've found this site useful:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Apr 2019, 10:21

dbcooper wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 09:54
Warren wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 09:44
I've found this site useful:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
That's too much for me. I'm hoping I can just plug this in and problem solved.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 22 Apr 2019, 11:05

That should work. Don't know how well, or for how long, but it should work.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Apr 2019, 17:02

There do exist wireless USB adapters, IIRC. Could be wrong, but pretty sure.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Apr 2019, 17:52

The trouble started shortly after I started charging the remote for a 'made in China' selfie stick.
Coincidence?

Yeah got to be a coincidence. Whoever got malware from a selfie remote?
Run a Sophos scan just to be sure... System looks clean. wifi definitely shit the bed tho.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 May 2019, 02:07

Do two positives make a negative?
I bought the wifi adapter, and fortunately I have an external CD drive to run the install program, and with a minimum of fuss everything worked fine.
Only thing is, between the time I ordered it, and the time it arrived, my computer fixed itself.

That's twice this year some tech hard faulted and then came back like nothing had happened. I fear I have been chosen by the tech gods as the designated "let's fuck with this guy for shits and giggles".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 May 2019, 10:11

So, I need (for stupid reasons I'm not getting into) to install linux on an old box. I need a graphical interface, a VPN and a web browser. What's my best bet for a distro in terms of least fuss/muss? When setup, it will be used by the borderline technically illiterate.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 08 May 2019, 10:16

tr0g wrote:
08 May 2019, 10:11
So, I need (for stupid reasons I'm not getting into) to install linux on an old box. I need a graphical interface, a VPN and a web browser. What's my best bet for a distro in terms of least fuss/muss? When setup, it will be used by the borderline technically illiterate.
CentOS, probably. Pretty much everything is in CentOS and they've done a decent job of making it pretty easy to use. The VPN may be the hardest part, mostly because there are about fifty billion variants of VPNs.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Jun 2019, 17:27

My desktop just up and said fuck you after nine solid years (with some added stuff in between). Couldn't repair from the disc, so I formatted the ssd and it has failed to install windows four times now. Error message is useless.

Ive cobbled laptop to stuff so I can keep on keeping on but fuck this was weird and disappointing. I don't wanna think about having to learn about whats good with atx mb and proc combos yeeesh it's like joining a cult.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 21 Jun 2019, 10:27

Go to r/cabalofthebuildsmiths, they maintain up to date evidence based tables for performance to cost, and can recommended builds or parts for your use case.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Aug 2019, 23:20

And suddenly I find myself in the same situation dhex recently suffered; namely, a dead desktop computer or, more precisely, dead SSD. The backup failed me and now I'm going to have to take the SSD to see if I can get some data salvaged from it while I wait for a replacement, probably from Newegg. This is going to be a huge pain in the ass, but it's probably still easier than having to replace the entire desktop motherboard and CPU.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Aug 2019, 12:14

It will be less pain than replacing the Mobo/CPU because Windows will recognize your hardware and probably reinstall without a fuss, whereas replacing the Mobo often means having to buy Windows again.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2019, 17:32

Ok, decision time. My pc started crashing into safe mode reboot then getting hung, only occasionally booting back to desktop then crashing again. A friend took a look at it and is pretty sure it's an issue with the power supply. Thing is, it's a 2016 setup and many other things may not be much longer for this world - like I'm worried about how much writing happens in games to my boot drive ssd, and I already had a temp sensor go goofy telling me the CPU was 198F when it definitely was not. Also I hate my case because it has cheap buttons that tend to fall out and a janky front fan.

So, I'm thinking maybe a new build. What are good specs for a $1500 ish gaming and streaming build? I typically do the A-/B+ tier GPU. Quiet matters to me. SSD boot because I can't go back. Probably storage in another drive.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Aug 2019, 17:44

My desktop is significantly older, so if I had a PC that was only three or four years old, I'd start by changing out the power supply and seeing what happens. My biggest single mistake the last time I replaced the power supply in mine was not going with modular cabling. The good news is that if you still want to go ahead and put together an entirely new PC, you've already got your new power supply.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Aug 2019, 18:12

Oops most of it is from 2012, my last gpu update was 2016 (i lumped all this under one document in dropbox to retain specs). So yeah older.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Aug 2019, 18:39

Go to r/cabalofthebuildsmiths and use their build request form. They do up-to-the-day price/performance evaluations for any given budget.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Aug 2019, 18:41

This was something I just threw together on pcpartpicker website. Spec wise this would be just under cutting edge. GPU is the biggest variable in price. CPU coming in second. GPU and CPU are just below top end on that build. Going top end will add another ~$100 for the CPU and another $300 or so for the GPU. You can play around on it and do some research on the individual components if you want.

I went Intel but AMD has some a CPU line that is currently the new hotness. However some of the parts are having stock issues right now. Also with computers I tend to stay away from brand new versions as there always seems to be a number of teething problems early I don't want to deal with. But you may get a little more bang for your buck if you go AMD.

Also I have personal brand preferences for Gigabyte, eVGA, and Corsair.

Also also I wasn't sure if that price was supposed to include the monitor. That would change things some.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($359.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.88 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1430.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-13 18:27 EDT-0400

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Aug 2019, 18:42

I wouldn't spend money on RTX until there are more than 3 games with ray tracing.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Aug 2019, 19:07

I've been starting to look into new PCs for me and my wife (because Windows 7 deprecation at the end of the year), but haven't gotten too far into it. It really looks like the 3rd gen Ryzen chips are the thing to get right now. I think that $1500 might be a price point where you're looking for things to spend money on, and you'll end up with half the cost of the PC in your video card.

For me, the 3 main things that work to be quiet are case, vid card, and coolers. The SSD helps also, but the platter drive in my current computer is not a significant source of noise. I like my current case (Fractal Design Define) so much that I might just buy another one, or even go for the smaller one (Define C). So then it comes down to what cooler and video card you buy, and it's harder to get a read on those these days. Might need to follow some subreddits for suggestions. Plus, ratings on all the parts are horrible now, because they're dominated by people who complain about their DOA part.

I'll probably be looking to build later in the year, but will try to ramp up my learning about it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."