Petty annoyances

Aresen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Petty annoyances

Post by Aresen » 05 Jul 2019, 20:20

Jennifer wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 19:53
A thousand kilometers? That's, like, almost three dollars in American money!
It's actually about 74° F.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kolohe » 06 Jul 2019, 23:32

The Nats dressed like Expos today which were almost 1000 km and over 10 years away
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 07 Jul 2019, 09:15

Maybe they're trying to protect against the cockamamie Rays scheme to play half their season in Montreal and half in St. Pete.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 09:36

Highway wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 09:15
Maybe they're trying to protect against the cockamamie Rays scheme to play half their season in Montreal and half in St. Pete.
The international border makes it a no-go. But there's a significant "Snow Bird" population that might support a team that migrates between Fl and either NYC or Boston.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 08 Jul 2019, 10:39

Incidentally, the paint thing was also partly the manufacturer's (Montana) fault. They don't put regular lids on their spray cans, they put a safety ring under the cap, so it can't be pressed during transit, "to reduce reduce waste from packaging material". (See https://www.montana-cans.com/en/how-to- ... shake-well) That's great and all, but it also leaves the cap/entire top of the can otherwise completely exposed to damage, and I wonder how many lids you have to not-use in order to equal the waste of one entire can that gets trashed.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jul 2019, 16:58

In a country with first-world infrastructure this would be more than a "petty" annoyance, but -- today I woke up to no running water for the nth time since moving here three years ago. Supposedly it will come back at 5 p.m., but since that's only two minutes away as I type this, I'm not counting on that.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jul 2019, 17:56

Warren wrote:
Highway wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 09:15
The international border makes it a no-go. But there's a significant "Snow Bird" population that might support a team that migrates between Fl and either NYC or Boston.
Yes, but they are typically in the North during baseball season. My in laws are snow birds and head south after the World Series and leave weeks before opening day.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Jul 2019, 15:50

Firefox Dark Mode: Tabs, Address Bar, and Bookmarks render in black and grey, pages still render in eye-bleaching white.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jul 2019, 16:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 15:50
Firefox Dark Mode: Tabs, Address Bar, and Bookmarks render in black and grey, pages still render in eye-bleaching white.
I just googled "firefox dark mode" clicked the first link, installed the extension and it stuck a toggle switch on the address bar.
When I set it to dark, at least Grylliade and Reason are rendered dark.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Jul 2019, 16:18

Warren wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 16:07
Hugh Akston wrote:
I just googled "firefox dark mode" clicked the first link, installed the extension and it stuck a toggle switch on the address bar.
All the extensions I found also require full access to all of your web data. If I wanted to give that shit away to just anybody I would be using Chrome.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jul 2019, 17:36

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 16:18
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
All the extensions I found also require full access to all of your web data. If I wanted to give that shit away to just anybody I would be using Chrome.
So what are you talking about? How do you do dark mode on firefox?

Also, this is the extension I installed
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... extension/
I don't think it's grabbing my data.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Jul 2019, 19:10

Warren wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 17:36
Hugh Akston wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

There's a Themes menu on the add-ons manager that lets you select from default, light, and dark. But it's just for the application window itself, not the sites.

I downloaded three different dark mode extension, and the first thing they all do is drop down a confirmation that they can access your data for all websites. I've never had an extension ask for that before.

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jul 2019, 20:14

Hugh Akston wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 19:10
Warren wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 17:36
Hugh Akston wrote:
Warren wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:

There's a Themes menu on the add-ons manager that lets you select from default, light, and dark. But it's just for the application window itself, not the sites.

I downloaded three different dark mode extension, and the first thing they all do is drop down a confirmation that they can access your data for all websites. I've never had an extension ask for that before.
Try my link, it didn't do that. But I'm using a Mac.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Jul 2019, 17:44

Spent the better part of the day making sure the thieving bastards from whom we've been renting an efficiency apartment in Austin for our son don't go ahead and try to debit our account for anything after he moves out in two weeks. But the frustration has been entirely with the bank, which seems to think I should pay them $30 to stop an automatic debit agreement. "Well, have you contacted the rental agency; it's really between them and you." Fuck, no, it isn't between them and me; it's between me and you, my gawddamned bank where I keep my gawddamned money!

So, anyway, I think maybe that got resolved after over an hour on the phone and at least four different bank employees.

By contrast, putting in the end-service order for electricity there was easy as 1-2-3, but the woman who worked for the city utilities department wanted to explain to me in detail sufficient for at least a master's thesis how it all happens, what to look for on the final statement and blah, blah, blah. I guess I shouldn't be angry at her, though. At least she didn't want to charge me more money to stop using their electricity.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2019, 19:58

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 17:44
But the frustration has been entirely with the bank, which seems to think I should pay them $30 to stop an automatic debit agreement.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
So, anyway, I think maybe that got resolved after over an hour on the phone and at least four different bank employees.
Holy shitsnacks. Your time is cheap. I think I can scrape a couple hundred bucks up, can I put you on retainer? :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Jul 2019, 20:11

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 19:58
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
But the frustration has been entirely with the bank, which seems to think I should pay them $30 to stop an automatic debit agreement.
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Holy shitsnacks. Your time is cheap. I think I can scrape a couple hundred bucks up, can I put you on retainer? :)
My son and I both get better hourly rates for my services than you do.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2019, 20:30

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 20:11
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Well sure, who doesn't. But I thought you were a member in good standing of the legal profession and know the secret high-sign that tells the judge you've been paid and your client should go free.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 16 Jul 2019, 20:33

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 20:30
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 20:11
Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Well sure, who doesn't. But I thought you were a member in good standing of the legal profession and know the secret high-sign that tells the judge you've been paid and your client should go free.
Yes, the Rule in Shelley's Case.

BTW, I didn't spend over an hour haggling over the $30 stop payment fee, in case that was your take-away; it took me that long just to get the damned thing done so I could be reasonably confident the thieves who leased my son's apartment didn't debit my account after this month leaving me to actually have to do some lawyering to get it back.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2019, 07:03

A few days ago, after our latest unexpected water shutdown followed by "The water has come back but WTF it's the color of a two-flusher after only the first flush," Jeff suggested we buy some water-filter pitchers. So we bought two Brita pitchers plus some extra filters, filled the pitchers according to the instructions (which are a time-consuming PITA -- filling just one pitcher takes several minutes) ... and come to discover that, compared to our regular (non-discolored) tap water, filtered Brita water has a terribly dull and flat taste even when it's ice-cold.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Jul 2019, 11:59

It's the lead and arsenic with a hint of mercury that give good tap water its flavor.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2019, 14:03

Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2019, 17:21

I can't believe I have to buy shoe/boot laces off amazon. I just got back from the big Walmart where their style/size selection was extremely limited, and not at all what I was looking for. So I went the the shoe store a block farther down. Got that? A fricking shoe store. Their selection was even worse.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Jul 2019, 17:52

Warren wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 17:21
I can't believe I have to buy shoe/boot laces off amazon. I just got back from the big Walmart where their style/size selection was extremely limited, and not at all what I was looking for. So I went the the shoe store a block farther down. Got that? A fricking shoe store. Their selection was even worse.
Not that there's anything wrong with buying from Amazon, but I've found shoe repair shops to be the best bet for shoe or boot laces these days.

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 18 Jul 2019, 19:09

With box-store level market penetration comes very small selection of any one particular product. :/ That's one reason why Amazon will take over the world and actually already has, who are we kidding?

Here's one: in 2017, the CIty of St. Louis contacted me to let me know that I had failed to pay adequate city taxes during 2016. This is one of those local taxes that is removed from my paycheck automagically, so I'd been complacent and hadn't checked. The finance office at work was apologetic for the error and corrected it, but of course I still had to pay what I owed. Fine, whatever.

A week ago, I got a letter from the city collector's office informing me that I also apparently owe taxes from 2014 and 2015. Why they did not discover this or alert me until now, I don't know.... but as considerable time has elapsed, they intend to make me pay back not only what wasn't paid back then (fair enough), but also around $1,000 in penalties and interest.

Yes, yes, I should have checked. Shut up.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jul 2019, 19:23

I fucked myself on city taxes back in MI. Didn't pay them and moved away. They tracked me down. Wound up paying four times what it would have cost me had I filed when I lived there, plus time off work, plus an attorney that did nothing but show up in court with me.

Yes yes, I was young and stupid. Shut up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT