Light laffs

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Light laffs

Post by Warren » 06 Jul 2019, 09:48

Heh. Good one.
She should have dreadlocks though.

ETA
#$@&%*! new page
Ellie wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 23:35
ariel black.jpg
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dbcooper » 07 Jul 2019, 07:42

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 09:46

You're giving me a headache DB
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by dead_elvis » 07 Jul 2019, 11:40

Miss Teen South Carolina would have known these things.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Jul 2019, 13:26

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 09:46
You're giving me a headache DB
It doesn't matter. They're all engineering students.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Jul 2019, 15:04

Scenes like that really shouldn't exist in this day and age. All three of those girls almost assuredly have smartphones. Google it. You don't even have to type anything. Just speak into the information machine and it will give you the answer.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jul 2019, 15:30

Painboy wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 15:04
Scenes like that really shouldn't exist in this day and age. All three of those girls almost assuredly have smartphones. Google it. You don't even have to type anything. Just speak into the information machine and it will give you the answer.
I think the ignorance is a product of reliance on smartphones. The reliance on external memories or computations means there is less internalization of knowledge.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Jul 2019, 15:51

Aresen wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 15:30
Painboy wrote:
I think the ignorance is a product of reliance on smartphones. The reliance on external memories or computations means there is less internalization of knowledge.
It's at least in part a function of how the craftsman uses the tools. Those girls don't use their smartphones for what was once disparagingly called "book learnin'." If anything, they've been discouraged in school from relying on search engines' capability to answer such questions in the classroom, so why would they think to use them at the bar?

My wife is reasonably well educated in the sense I continue to make fun of Warren for not being, but no one has an encyclopedic, let alone a search engine fast knowledge or memory, so when she can't remember or never knew in the first place, say, what river runs through which states (a question that happened to arise at home recently), her first instincts are to grab an atlas from our dead-tree library because books have been her reference source far longer and more dependably than Google. It's just the other side of the current generation gap. She's so old fashioned, she uses her smartphone mostly to talk on the phone.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 07 Jul 2019, 15:56

I will confess I have trouble at times remembering if Rome is a city. I think because my brain also has the concept of "Roman Empire" rattling around in there somewhere. I do know that Barcelona is not in Italy, but I bet if you named ten European cities I wouldn't know for sure which country at least three of them were in. This is not so much to defend these women as to express how very bad I am at geography! :lol:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 15:51
If anything, they've been discouraged in school from relying on search engines' capability to answer such questions in the classroom, so why would they think to use them at the bar?
This is a really, really good point.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Jul 2019, 16:29

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
no one has an encyclopedic, let alone a search engine fast knowledge or memory
Just wait until I finish my project to memorize the entire internet.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Jul 2019, 16:52

Andrew wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 16:29
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
What are you up to so far?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Jul 2019, 06:13

Aresen wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 15:30
Painboy wrote:
Nah, it's an old gag from decades of pre-web TV to ask random people on-camera "common knowledge" questions and laugh because they flub them.

It doesn't matter to these girls where Rome or Barcelona is, any more than it matters to Italian or Spanish girls which states Chicago, Houston, or Miami are in. So, while they learned it, they don't remember it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jul 2019, 07:24

Trivia is trivia and capital cities are trivia.

The real thing is that no one says "I don't know". There is nothing wrong with not knowing trivia.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Jul 2019, 07:57

dhex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 07:24

The real thing is that no one says "I don't know". There is nothing wrong with not knowing trivia.
My wife's pet peeve is people not admitting when they don't know something. I hadn't noticed it before I met her but once you think about it it's shocking how often this happens, people would rather speculate than admit they don't know. It was so disappointing how Gary Johnson was pilloried for doing the smart thing ("what's an aleppo?").

When we were in Bolivia the book said (and our experience bore it out) to be careful that people will give you directions even if they don't know the answer, in an effort to appear helpful. It's the opposite of helpful, but I guess this isn't a phenomenon unique to the US, even if the motivations are different.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Jul 2019, 08:52

dead_elvis wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 07:57
dhex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 07:24

My wife's pet peeve is people not admitting when they don't know something. I hadn't noticed it before I met her but once you think about it it's shocking how often this happens, people would rather speculate than admit they don't know. It was so disappointing how Gary Johnson was pilloried for doing the smart thing ("what's an aleppo?").

When we were in Bolivia the book said (and our experience bore it out) to be careful that people will give you directions even if they don't know the answer, in an effort to appear helpful. It's the opposite of helpful, but I guess this isn't a phenomenon unique to the US, even if the motivations are different.
When I was interviewing for a job for on campus tech support when I was a student, there was an interviewer who would ask progressively more difficult and esoteric questions. Once you got beyond a certain point, where you demonstrated sufficient knowledge to get hired, he did not care if you answered the question, he just wanted you to say, "I don't know." That filtered out the more people than the sufficient knowledge part.

Re: Bolivia, the same is true in Egypt. The advice is to wait until you get two people who have matching answers because it is unlikely that two people would make up the same wrong answer.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jul 2019, 11:35

Warren wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 16:52
Andrew wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
All of Jezebel, Cringely's blog, about 75% of Time Cube
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Jul 2019, 12:13

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 11:35
Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
:lol:

Make sure you get Feministing's searing expose on jeggings.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 08 Jul 2019, 12:21

Painboy wrote:
Well, to be fair, the white girls are named Siri and Alexa.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2019, 12:35

dbcooper wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 12:13
lunchstealer wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 11:35
Warren wrote:
Andrew wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
:lol:

Make sure you get Feministing's searing expose on jeggings.
Ha ha. Well played both of you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Jul 2019, 19:09

Poor Rob Schneider. If you have to tell people you're a bona-fide comedy star...
Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 7.06.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 7.06.58 PM.png (843.97 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Jul 2019, 19:27

Whereas Arlo Guthrie needs no qualification, lol. Speaking as one of the dozen millennials who knows who he (or his father) is.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 09 Jul 2019, 20:42

Dangerman wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 19:27
Whereas Arlo Guthrie needs no qualification, lol. Speaking as one of the dozen millennials who knows who he (or his father) is.
This is the little theater in downtown Plymouth NH- I’m actually disappointed he plays the day after I leave to go back, I’d be curious to see him.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Jul 2019, 20:47

That's funny, I'm only a few hours from Plymouth, and I'll be closer that weekend because I'll be back home visiting friends in the White Mountains.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 09 Jul 2019, 21:09

Standup comedy is generally not funny, but I still kick myself for not seeing a Dave Coulier set at the Burbank chuckle hut when I had the opportunity.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 Jul 2019, 08:45

I'm guessing below Arlo Guthrie is Tab Benoit, a really good delta-blues guitarist. If you're local and like the blues, he'd be worth seeing.

I'm trying to convince my wife to go to his show in Hartford on Aug. 7.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex