Video Games!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Painboy

Re: Video Games!

Post by Painboy » 16 May 2019, 01:44

Shem wrote:
16 May 2019, 00:45
JasonL, have you seen this?

(We need a way to tag users for notification other than quotes)
I actually just played the first one recently for the first time. It's super rough around the edges even with the fan patch but it's pretty good for 15+ year old game. I'm curious what Hardsuit Labs is going to do with it. They've only produced one game so far. Of course they may have worked on other game projects behind the scenes. I even put in a job application to them when I heard they were working on this (no luck so far).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 16 May 2019, 07:09

Shem wrote:JasonL, have you seen this?

(We need a way to tag users for notification other than quotes)
Saw that. The original is one of the best bad games of all time. So buggy but with a kernel that got lots of things nearly perfect.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 16 May 2019, 14:32

JasonL wrote:
14 May 2019, 16:15
I have high hopes for Team Witcher doing Cyberpunk.
QFMFT
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 17 May 2019, 12:15

That game play demo didn't fill me with a ton of hope. It's still early tho.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 May 2019, 00:45

JasonL wrote:
16 May 2019, 07:09
Saw that. The original is one of the best bad games of all time. So buggy but with a kernel that got lots of things nearly perfect.
I played it when it first came out; even for being buggy nearly to the point of unplayability, it was still one of the best RPGs I'd played, especially from a story perspective. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the story; canonically, the vampire world was wiped out in about 2006 (the game was actually the kickoff for Gehenna, which was how they ended V:tM) meaning they got some explaining to do from a lore perspective. I hope they do it well, since it was such a huge part of why the first game was so good.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2019, 00:43

Not really a "video" game, but I do play it online. I just discovered Set on the NYT website. I am fucking terrible at it! Haha!

https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/set
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2019, 00:45

Speaking of being fucking terrible at things, Modspawn's love of io games got me hooked on wormate.io, where you play a worm who (inexplicably) eats cookies and candy to grow bigger. You get all kinds of power-ups so you can get big fast, which is why I like it so much, because it makes me feel accomplished. Never mind that I about poop myself with joy the rare times I score over 100,000 while meanwhile everyone on the leaderboard has over 7 million. It's a fun timewaster.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jun 2019, 00:46

Also also (I promise this is my last post), speaking of Modspawn playing video games, he's been hopping onto David's accounts on Steam and elsewhere, and David is always signed in as "grylliade." I have decided the new official pronunciation of "grylliade" should be the way Modspawn says it -- "grin lady." :D

dhex

Post by dhex » 07 Jun 2019, 13:35

I've said it before but the Witcher 3 is the best dad simulator ever made.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 10 Jun 2019, 15:32

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jun 2019, 16:54

dhex wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 13:35
Haha wait more on this please
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Jun 2019, 19:18

nicole wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 16:54
dhex wrote:
Spoilers for a four year old game but the entire outcome of the main game hinges on what kind of dad you are to ciri. If you're an overprotective anxious cunt who undercuts her she dies. If you try to baby her too much she picks emperor dad and takes over his job to be dadmom to the known world.

But if you're supportive and take time to trust her decisions and have a snowball fight after your dad and her uncle dies, she becomes the messiah.

Just like real life.

This is separate from geralt's obvious daddy-Ness and also his very strange/completely understandable abusive relationship with yennefer.

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Jun 2019, 20:01

dhex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 19:18
nicole wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 16:54
dhex wrote:
Spoilers for a four year old game but the entire outcome of the main game hinges on what kind of dad you are to ciri. If you're an overprotective anxious cunt who undercuts her she dies. If you try to baby her too much she picks emperor dad and takes over his job to be dadmom to the known world.

But if you're supportive and take time to trust her decisions and have a snowball fight after your dad and her uncle dies, she becomes the messiah.

Just like real life.

This is separate from geralt's obvious daddy-Ness and also his very strange/completely understandable abusive relationship with yennefer.
Ah okay obviously that makes sense

I’ve played it twice but Geralt the Sex-Daddy was much more prominent in my mind than Geralt the Actual Adoptive Dad

Second time I got him and Yennefer happily ever after and I was like fffffffffffyeah
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Jun 2019, 20:21

Y+G is the only obvious ending. Triss is the woooorst and Shani is 12.

Tho the consequence if you try to sex daddy yen and Triss is remarkably awesome.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jun 2019, 22:23

Who has the patience to get the triss thing to work? It’s a dialogue minefield. G-Y with adventurer ciri was the best I got.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 11 Jun 2019, 14:16

Even at 90% off, borderlands 2 with all the DLC is still a meh proposition because it takes so long to slog through the first level +intro, so playing as a new char is super tedious. The game is much better on PC than PS, although PhysX breaks your saved games if you adjust it.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 11 Jun 2019, 14:17

I couldn't complete W3 because Geralt only had like 3 attack animations and once I noticed I couldn't deal with it more than a few battles. I know I know, it's story driven and beautiful.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Jun 2019, 14:57

I'm on Steam as Hammerlocke and literally everyone thinks it's because of Sir Hammerlocke in BL2. The origins of it predate the first BL and is esoteric so I just say yes sir hammerlocke. I do like BL2. It is tedious but for some reason in a way that allowed me to play through. Unusual for me. I think I just liked finding weird plot jokes and shooting stuff. Biggest problem in that series is 10 million guns you can't tell apart.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Jun 2019, 15:57

Keanu in cyberpunk 2077 doesn't make me more excited about the game bc that initial game play demo was not too hot. I am reserving judgements and a lot can happen in the next nine months.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Jun 2019, 20:55

dhex wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 15:57
Keanu in cyberpunk 2077 doesn't make me more excited about the game bc that initial game play demo was not too hot. I am reserving judgements and a lot can happen in the next nine months.
I don't know, I'm pretty sure you couldn't have cast a better Johnny Silverhand. Although I'm kind of curious as to his age. I was under the impression that they were still using the original 2020 timeline which would make Johnny 70 odd years old. Of course future and cybernetics and all that.

Also I'm not sure what trailer you watched because most felt that was one of the best gameplay previews anyone ever put out. I would generally include myself in that opinion. What about it rubbed you the wrong way?

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 11 Jun 2019, 20:56

JasonL wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 14:57
I'm on Steam as Hammerlocke and literally everyone thinks it's because of Sir Hammerlocke in BL2. The origins of it predate the first BL and is esoteric so I just say yes sir hammerlocke. I do like BL2. It is tedious but for some reason in a way that allowed me to play through. Unusual for me. I think I just liked finding weird plot jokes and shooting stuff. Biggest problem in that series is 10 million guns you can't tell apart.
Just tell everyone that they based him off your exploits.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Jun 2019, 21:38

The voice acting was fucking horrible. It was a bit janky looking. I did like some of the action bits and I trust cdpr to do a good job.

I'm wholly unfamiliar with the setting so I have no sense of what's good or bad in their approach.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Jun 2019, 21:49

However outside of the Keanu bit this trailer was far better organized and felt more comfortable with itself.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Jun 2019, 16:15

Painboy wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 20:55
dhex wrote:
I don't know, I'm pretty sure you couldn't have cast a better Johnny Silverhand. Although I'm kind of curious as to his age.
Note that he flickers out for a moment right after he appears. (I missed this on first watch, too, among the other signs of the guy's hardware rebooting.) He's apparently a digital ghost of some kind in the protagonist's head, according to other press.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Jun 2019, 12:11

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 16:15
Painboy wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 20:55
dhex wrote:
I don't know, I'm pretty sure you couldn't have cast a better Johnny Silverhand. Although I'm kind of curious as to his age.
Note that he flickers out for a moment right after he appears. (I missed this on first watch, too, among the other signs of the guy's hardware rebooting.) He's apparently a digital ghost of some kind in the protagonist's head, according to other press.
Ah I've only seen stills and haven't watched the teaser. That would be very cyberpunk though.