Setec Astronomy

Hugh Akston

Re: Setec Astronomy

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Oct 2018, 00:51

Apple and Amazon both have pretty detailed denials of the particulars in the Bloomberg story, and this article is full of hardware bliz-blaz about how it can't be true.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Oct 2018, 11:56

The outright and vocal denials makes me think that Bloomberg has it wrong. If it can out Apple and Amazon we’re lying they could get into deep SEC doo doo.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 08 Oct 2018, 11:48

Some people have pointed out that Apple's and Amazon's denials are kind of specific, and it's also possible they've been asked to deny things. Other people have said that the specifics of Bloomberg's report may be wrong, but the general idea may be right. (Given the usual quality of reporting on technology, that would not surprise me either.)
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Oct 2018, 13:00

Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:56
The outright and vocal denials makes me think that Bloomberg has it wrong. If it can out Apple and Amazon we’re lying they could get into deep SEC doo doo.
Deeper than the doo doo the NSA would put them in?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2018, 06:10

Aresen wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 13:00
Mo wrote:
Seeing as the denial includes a denial that they were told to be quiet, probably. If the NSA told them to keep quiet, they would issue some, "neither confirm nor deny" message.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JD

Post by JD » 09 Oct 2018, 09:56

Mo wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 06:10
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:
Seeing as the denial includes a denial that they were told to be quiet, probably. If the NSA told them to keep quiet, they would issue some, "neither confirm nor deny" message.
Ah, but "we can neither confirm nor deny" is going to freak people out. And the TLAs can most certainly get a court order that forbids the recipient from disclosing the existence of the court order.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Oct 2018, 10:32

One of the named sources now casts doubt on it.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10 ... s-veracity

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 Oct 2018, 15:36

JD wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 09:56
Mo wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 06:10
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:
Ah, but "we can neither confirm nor deny" is going to freak people out. And the TLAs can most certainly get a court order that forbids the recipient from disclosing the existence of the court order.
As I understand it, the NSA et al. can't force corporations to make a statement, because that would be compelled speech.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Dec 2018, 00:41

"Alexa, what are my neighbors up to?"
Germany’s c’t magazine reports that in August the Amazon user—exercising his rights under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation—requested his own data that Amazon has stored. Two months later, Amazon sent him a downloadable 100Mb zip file.

Some of the files reportedly related to his Amazon searches. But according to the report there were also hundreds of Wav files and a PDF cataloging transcripts of Alexa’s interpretations of voice commands. According to c’t magazine, this was peculiar to this user because he doesn’t own any Alexa devices and had never used the service. He also didn’t recognize the voices in the files.

The user reported the matter to Amazon and asked for information. He reportedly didn’t receive a response, but soon found that the link to the data was dead. However, he had already saved the files, and he shared his experience with c’t magazine out of concern that the person whose privacy had been compromised was not told about the mistake.

C’t magazine listened to many of the files and was able “to piece together a detailed picture of the customer concerned and his personal habits.” It found that he used Alexa in various places, has an Echo at home, and has a Fire device on his TV. They noticed that a woman was around at times. They listened to him in the shower.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Feb 2019, 08:50

I suspect the Brits feel they can mitigate malicious Chinese hacking of Chinese telecom equipment because they've spent years keeping out malicious spying code from gear from US manufacturers.

JD

Post by JD » 15 Mar 2019, 15:31

An in-depth and breathtaking look at the UAE's cyber-intelligence activities, largely run by American ex-intelligence staff: https://www.reuters.com/investigates/sp ... ing-raven/

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Mar 2019, 18:21

Mo wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 08:50
I suspect the Brits feel they can mitigate malicious Chinese hacking of Chinese telecom equipment because they've spent years keeping out malicious spying code from gear from US manufacturers.
That's a burn.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 31 Mar 2019, 19:32

The DEA collected data for five years on people who purchased money counting machines.
Beginning in 2008, the DEA began issuing subpoenas to vendors in an effort to learn who was purchasing money counters, according to the Times. The newspaper found an unredacted portion of the IG report referencing the specific devices.

The agency, which was attempting to find leads on people who could be drug traffickers, reportedly compiled tens of thousands of records with the names and addresses of individuals who bought the counters.
According to the Times, no courts oversaw the subpoenas and the subpoenas were not part of any specific probe.

The inspector general report notes that the DEA did not mention in official cases that the agency first learned of suspects' names from its practice of tracking the money-counter purchases, per the Times. That was done in an effort “to protect the program’s sources and methods; criminals would obtain money counters by other means if they knew that the D.E.A. collected this data,
The report also notes complaints that the program was wasteful because there were a significant number of low-quality leads that resulted in the DEA questioning people who did not have "any connection to illicit activity.”

The DEA in 2013 submitted the data it collected to law enforcement agencies, but the FBI reportedly banned officials from accessing it after questioning whether the information was gathered lawfully.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Jun 2019, 21:03

The NSA is woke, yo.

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Jun 2019, 21:14

thoreau wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 21:03
The NSA is woke, yo.

The replies are a fascinating mix of the disdainful left and the disappointed, homophobic right.

I just went with:

Last edited by Eric the .5b on 07 Jun 2019, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jun 2019, 21:16

thoreau wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 21:03
The NSA is woke, yo.

Screw rainbows, the NSA surveils the ENTIRE electromagnetic spectrum!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 07 Jun 2019, 23:05

We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Jun 2019, 23:35

Andrew wrote:
07 Jun 2019, 23:05
Monitoring students online:

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2019 ... stems.html
This is why you need a lot of money before you have kids. Retaining lawyers to sue your school district on the weekly gets expensive.

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2019, 19:37

Dear edweek this is how social listening services work. This one sounds particularly dicks but I'm willing to bet the district is throwing them under the bus as well bc school districts are generally bad at discerning.

Momo never forget.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Jun 2019, 16:47

Oops, the NSA did it again
The National Security Agency improperly collected phone call records of Americans last fall, months after a previous breach that compelled the agency to destroy millions of records from the contentious program, documents released Wednesday revealed.

The redacted documents, obtained by the ACLU in a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, do not indicate how many records NSA improperly collected in the October breach, nor which telecommunications provider submitted the improper data.
I'm sure the NSA is really sorry about this, and they super double definitely won't do it again believe them.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2019, 17:17

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 16:47
Oops, the NSA did it again
The National Security Agency improperly collected phone call records of Americans last fall, months after a previous breach that compelled the agency to destroy millions of records from the contentious program, documents released Wednesday revealed.

The redacted documents, obtained by the ACLU in a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, do not indicate how many records NSA improperly collected in the October breach, nor which telecommunications provider submitted the improper data.
I'm sure the NSA is really sorry about this, and they super double definitely won't do it again believe them.
"...how many documents improperly collected in the October breach..." In my little corner of the world, a 'breach' implies an error, accident or hostile action. Just how do you accidentally 'improperly collect data?'

(I'm asking for a friend.)

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Jun 2019, 02:04

Aresen wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 17:17
Just how do you accidentally 'improperly collect data?'

(I'm asking for a friend.)
Not so much accidentally as irresistibly. It's the way that data was dressed: it was just beggin' to be collected.

JD

Post by JD » 03 Jul 2019, 18:17

Fuuuuck.
When you try to cross over by land from central Asia into Xinjiang, Chinese border agents stop you at the port of entry. They insist you hand over your phone, which they take into a separate room while you wait for an hour or more. They install an app called Fengcai, which downloads your phone’s data — all your text messages, contacts, call log history, calendar entries, and installed apps. All this sensitive data is then sent, unencrypted, to a local server.

The app automatically scans your data for 73,000 specific items that China deems threatening. That includes materials that encourage terrorism, like al-Qaeda or Islamic State publications, as well as Western academic books about terrorism. The app also hunts for scanned pages from an Arabic dictionary and benign expressions of religiosity like portions of the Quran or a photo of the Dalai Lama.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Jul 2019, 05:14

JD wrote:Fuuuuck.
When you try to cross over by land from central Asia into Xinjiang, Chinese border agents stop you at the port of entry. They insist you hand over your phone, which they take into a separate room while you wait for an hour or more. They install an app called Fengcai, which downloads your phone’s data — all your text messages, contacts, call log history, calendar entries, and installed apps. All this sensitive data is then sent, unencrypted, to a local server.

The app automatically scans your data for 73,000 specific items that China deems threatening. That includes materials that encourage terrorism, like al-Qaeda or Islamic State publications, as well as Western academic books about terrorism. The app also hunts for scanned pages from an Arabic dictionary and benign expressions of religiosity like portions of the Quran or a photo of the Dalai Lama.
This Planet Money was disturbing and along the same lines. They had to use a voice actor because even distorting the voice wouldn’t work because the Chinese would still be able to figure out who the guy was.

There was an interview with the Yale geneticist who unwittingly helped them build the DNA database and, while he was defensive, you could hear in his voice how horrible he felt that his work was used for this stuff.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Jul 2019, 03:47

You guys there was literally no way to foresee this
Agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Immigration and Customs Enforcement have turned state driver’s license databases into a facial-recognition gold mine, scanning through hundreds of millions of Americans’ photos without their knowledge or consent, newly released documents show.

Thousands of facial-recognition requests, internal documents, and e-mails over the past five years, obtained through public-records requests by Georgetown University researchers and provided to The Washington Post, reveal that federal investigators have turned state Department of Motor Vehicles databases into the bedrock of an unprecedented surveillance infrastructure.

Police have long had access to fingerprints, DNA, and other ‘‘biometric data’’ taken from criminal suspects. But the DMV records contain the photos of the majority of a state’s residents, most of whom have never been charged with a crime.