Worthwhile intertubez finds

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24399
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 04 Jun 2019, 18:40

Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 12:33
RTFA

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I did. It's business as usual. There are differences. They are not "real differences".
False. I get a million right wing scam emails because I donated to the Paul campaign in 2008. I get nothing like that from the left.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26404
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 04 Jun 2019, 19:38

Mo wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 18:40
Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 12:33
RTFA

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I did. It's business as usual. There are differences. They are not "real differences".
False. I get a million right wing scam emails because I donated to the Paul campaign in 2008. I get nothing like that from the left.
I uh... I got leftist in my family and they get a steady stream of "If you don't donate now rape will be legal and abortion wont." type mail. If you're insisting that right wing junk mail is categorically worse than left wing junk mail. I mean, whatever.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15741
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Aresen » 05 Jun 2019, 00:43

Warren wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 19:38
Mo wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 18:40
Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 12:33
RTFA

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I did. It's business as usual. There are differences. They are not "real differences".
False. I get a million right wing scam emails because I donated to the Paul campaign in 2008. I get nothing like that from the left.
I uh... I got leftist in my family and they get a steady stream of "If you don't donate now rape will be legal and abortion wont." type mail. If you're insisting that right wing junk mail is categorically worse than left wing junk mail. I mean, whatever.
I thought the issue wasn't who the PACs were supporting, it was more that those running the conservative PACs were taking unusually large percentage in 'operating expenses.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 4025
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Painboy » 05 Jun 2019, 11:17

thoreau wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 16:18
Moar on the right's grifter problem, this time from the cultural Marxists at the National Review:

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morn ... ces-today/
I thought that was interesting. It's funny how much people wail over PACs being so influential when a lot of them apparently just pocket most of the money given to them.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24399
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2019, 04:30

Aresen wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 00:43
Warren wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 19:38
Mo wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 18:40
Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 12:33
RTFA

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I did. It's business as usual. There are differences. They are not "real differences".
False. I get a million right wing scam emails because I donated to the Paul campaign in 2008. I get nothing like that from the left.
I uh... I got leftist in my family and they get a steady stream of "If you don't donate now rape will be legal and abortion wont." type mail. If you're insisting that right wing junk mail is categorically worse than left wing junk mail. I mean, whatever.
I thought the issue wasn't who the PACs were supporting, it was more that those running the conservative PACs were taking unusually large percentage in 'operating expenses.'
This. Even going beyond the scam PACs, there is no real lefty equivalent of the scammy gold dudes that run ads constantly on Fox. Though I wonder if part of it is due to the fact that the median Fox viewer is the target age for scams in general.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26404
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2019, 09:07

Mo wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 04:30
there is no real lefty equivalent of the scammy gold dudes that run ads constantly on Fox. Though I wonder if part of it is due to the fact that the median Fox viewer is the target age for scams in general.
Yeah, I don't think you can lay scams aimed at a population that skews to the right at the feet of the right.
And of course people make money off the stupidity of the left. Things like "organic" and alternative medicine.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24399
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2019, 10:55

Alternative medicine is big in some conservative religious communities. There's a reason why Orrin Hatch is the biggest defender of vitamins and herbal supplements. Like anti-vaxxers, it's a mistake to believe this is primarily a left thing.

Besides, part of my point was not that propensity to falling for scams was a political thing, but an age thing.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26404
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2019, 11:04

Okay, but I remain unconvinced that there is any meaningful difference in the two major political parties.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24399
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2019, 11:07

Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 11:04
Okay, but I remain unconvinced that there is any meaningful difference in the two major political parties.
You've made that pretty clear. But the rest of us have eyes.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26404
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2019, 11:11

Mo wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 11:07
Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 11:04
Okay, but I remain unconvinced that there is any meaningful difference in the two major political parties.
You've made that pretty clear. But the rest of us have eyes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 27899
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by thoreau » 06 Jun 2019, 12:01

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 11:04
Okay, but I remain unconvinced that there is any meaningful difference in the two major political parties.
You've made that pretty clear. But the rest of us have eyes.
Ok, fine, I'll examine my sighted privilege!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17881
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jun 2019, 13:09

I wonder if its fair to blame the party for something they're not actually doing. PACs are by definition not affiliated with a political party. And I can't imagine Republican politicians would approve of these activities since they get so little out of it. It seems like these huckster PACs are plugging into the low-information rage machine that the party is certainly part of, but to a much lesser extent than outlets like talk radio or Fox News. I think Mo's probably closer to the mark that conservatives tend to be old, and older people are easier to scam.

As to Warren's point, the statement "This party advocates more government control over the economy and more foreign military intervention" can apply equally to either party, as can "This party is full of liars, camera whores, thieves, grifters, and general sleazebags."
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23879
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 06 Jun 2019, 13:59

Part of the question relates to how you evaluate the coalition - is it the wants of the base, the most vocal candidates, the platform that gets rolled out after sausage is made?

I'm disinclined to try to peer into souls to see who is more racist, I just look at the things they want to do plus some amount of intangibles like how dumb do they sound, how paranoid are they, etc. Trump's coalition is a zero on all intangibles plus he advocates for stupid things and so to me he's worse than any moderate donkey. But that's the moderates.

Like, I honestly think E Warren is just as bad as Trump. Bernie within spitting distance. Because they want astronomically dumb policies that have forever money and rate of growth implications.

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7054
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Jadagul » 06 Jun 2019, 15:47

Bernie is way worse than Warren, though not nearly as bad as Trump.

Warren is still an institutionalist and doesn't want to challenge the basic order of modern liberal society. Bernie is not, and kind of wants to tear the whole thing down.

But Trump wants to tear the whole thing down _and_ has worse policy ideas _and_ is thoroughly corrupt _and_ is incompetent. The last one is sometimes a mitigating factor given that his policy ideas are bad, but not often enough.

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18667
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Jun 2019, 15:54

If Bernie were elected, even Democrats would start muttering about how at least they could reason with Trump.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26404
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2019, 16:00

JasonL wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 13:59
Part of the question relates to how you evaluate the coalition - is it the wants of the base, the most vocal candidates, the platform that gets rolled out after sausage is made?
It's that last thing. Everything else is just kabuki.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24399
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2019, 16:10

I’m Jadagulian on this.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15741
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Aresen » 06 Jun 2019, 16:22

Mo wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 16:10
I’m Jadagulian on this.
I don't know enough about any of the potential Blue candidates to evaluate them properly. I've heard bad ideas from all of them. Bernie frightens me because he is earnestly populist and has a legion of worshippers who believe He Can Do No Wrong - the Anti-Trump, if you will. Warren spouts bad ideas and I half think she believes them - what bothers me about her is that she has been in the power centers long enough to know how to push the levers to get her way.

Both of them are still preferable to Trump because he is so fucking stupid.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24399
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 06 Jun 2019, 16:23

Hugh Akston wrote:I wonder if its fair to blame the party for something they're not actually doing. PACs are by definition not affiliated with a political party. And I can't imagine Republican politicians would approve of these activities since they get so little out of it. It seems like these huckster PACs are plugging into the low-information rage machine that the party is certainly part of, but to a much lesser extent than outlets like talk radio or Fox News. I think Mo's probably closer to the mark that conservatives tend to be old, and older people are easier to scam.

As to Warren's point, the statement "This party advocates more government control over the economy and more foreign military intervention" can apply equally to either party, as can "This party is full of liars, camera whores, thieves, grifters, and general sleazebags."
I mean PACs are not supposed to coordinate with politicians and politicians are not supposed to ask them for money. That said, it’s not like they do everything but do those two things with a wink and a nod. A lot of politicians speak at their events and meet with their leadership.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/10/politics ... index.html

As for the racism. It’s interesting how people that call out racists like Derb and Steve King become targets for vitriol up until the racist dudes turn the subtext into text and then it was like, “Oh we never realized they were super racist until when they stopped making subtext text.”
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7706
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Jun 2019, 16:29

I want Bernie to be president so I can wag my finger at all the MAGA idiots and remind them this is all their fault. Likewise with current trade policy. Fine. Cut all trade with China and Mexico. Go ahead. But I get to treat you like a toddler after the smoke clears. I'll probably get hung from a lamp post by the Neo-Jacobins for it but it'll be worth it.

I guess I just want the world to burn these days. That or I've become even more apathetic to politics than I ever thought I could become.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6590
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Andrew » 06 Jun 2019, 16:58

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 16:29
I'll probably get hung from a lamp post by the Neo-Jacobins for it but it'll be worth it.

I guess I just want the world to burn these days. That or I've become even more apathetic to politics than I ever thought I could become.
Welcome to the club.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23879
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 06 Jun 2019, 17:12

I think you guys are underselling Warren's crazy streak. She is in her way more radical than Bernie.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7706
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Jun 2019, 17:28

JasonL wrote:
06 Jun 2019, 17:12
I think you guys are underselling Warren's crazy streak. She is in her way more radical than Bernie.
I'll be honest. Bill Weld and her seem like the only adults at the table right now to me.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23879
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 06 Jun 2019, 17:28

Haha! Hahahaaa! Dude she's actually a crazy person.

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7706
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Jun 2019, 17:31

Oh no. I'm aware. But she seems the least crazy.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests