Iran (so far away)

Aresen

Re: Iran (so far away)

Post by Aresen » 02 Jan 2018, 14:43

Fairly, EVERY head of government faces the dilemma of what to say about and to people seeking democratic/liberal reform in an oppressive state:

On the one hand, you want to let those seeking change that you support their desires. On the other hand, you don't want to taint their movement with the 'foreign stooge' tag that the oppressive government will throw at them. The latter is particularly a problem for US leaders because the US is the favorite scapegoat for all of the world's ills.

Ultimately, I think it has to come down to the notion that you don't mess in other countries' internal politics.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jan 2018, 15:01

Aresen wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 14:43
Ultimately, I think it has to come down to the notion that you don't mess in other countries' internal politics.
If there's anyone on earth who has no problem with governments meddling in other countries' internal politics, it's Donaldik Fredovich Trump.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jan 2018, 15:09

thoreau wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 15:01
Aresen wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 14:43
If there's anyone on earth who has no problem with governments meddling in other countries' internal politics, it's Donaldik Fredovich Trump.
That occurred to me as I wrote. It applies to both Trump and his FSB controls.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Apr 2018, 22:14

So the big news is that Iran had plans for a nuclear weapons program in ... checks calendar ... 2003. This is somehow news in 2018?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 May 2018, 00:48

Mo wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 22:14
So the big news is that Iran had plans for a nuclear weapons program in ... checks calendar ... 2003. This is somehow news in 2018?
At this point, they're probably thinking "Saddam, Gadaffi. Why the fuck didn't we build them?"

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jul 2018, 23:30

I have seen this movie before.

Trump says ready to meet Iran's Rouhani

As Trump arrives, he will announce his intention to withdraw all US forces to the Western Hemisphere.

Iran's vague promises to end their nuclear program will be a 'totally better deal' than Obama's. :roll:

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 Jul 2018, 09:34

Aresen wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 23:30

As Trump arrives, he will announce his intention to withdraw all US forces to the Western Hemisphere.

Iran's vague promises to end their nuclear program will be a 'totally better deal' than Obama's. :roll:
Trump will take credit for preventing war with Iran.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 31 Jul 2018, 10:06

Mo wrote:
Aresen wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 23:30

Trump will take credit for preventing war with Iran.
Trump is the American epitome of "matchpump".
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Aug 2018, 14:29

So Trump is going to follow through on his idiotic promise to punish the Iranian people for whatever.

But he did add this:
Trump announced Monday, however, that he is open to negotiating a new deal. In his statement, Trump noted that “As we continue applying maximum economic pressure on the Iranian regime, I remain open to reaching a more comprehensive deal that addresses the full range of the regime’s malign activities, including its ballistic missile program and its support for terrorism.
The most obvious question being why would anyone believe that a deal with the Trump administration is worth the paper it's printed on?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Aug 2018, 14:36

Hah, like Trump's agreements are ever on paper. They're usually just handshakes, and they seem to work out great for everyone who isn't Trump so far. Ask Kim Jong Un how that "denuclearization" is going.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 May 2019, 16:11

Fuck John Bolton

'Unrelenting force': U.S. deploying bombers, carrier to Middle East in warning to Iran
U.S. national security adviser John Bolton says move comes in response to 'troubling' warnings
The United States is deploying a carrier strike group and a bomber task force to the Middle East to send a clear message to Iran that any attack on U.S. interests or its allies will be met with "unrelenting force," U.S. national security adviser John Bolton said on Sunday.

Amid rising tensions between the United States and Iran, Bolton said the decision was "in response to a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings."

"The United States is not seeking war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether by proxy, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps or regular Iranian forces," Bolton said in a statement.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 May 2019, 16:25

Trump must master his Thu'um and learn the Way of the Voice before he can ascend to the peak above High Hrothgar and meet the leader of the Grey'staches.
Whiterun Guard wrote:They say Ulfric Trumpcloak murdered the Ayatollah with his Voice! Shouted him apart!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 May 2019, 16:56

God please not again. Please.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 May 2019, 22:26

I think we all know that the unmistakable message Trump is sending is that he wants people to look over there.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 May 2019, 22:56

He wants to be a war time president with high popularity. That's how you etch out a second term. Like George W did.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 May 2019, 23:46

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 May 2019, 22:56
He wants to be a war time president with high popularity. That's how you etch out a second term. Like George W did.
Well, if he could overcome his debilitating bone spur and lead the first squad himself....

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 May 2019, 00:08

Aresen wrote:
06 May 2019, 23:46
Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 May 2019, 22:56
Well, if he could overcome his debilitating bone spur and lead the first squad himself....
If Trump will lead the invasion, I will join the military and volunteer to march right behind him, gun drawn, as he charges into Iran.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 May 2019, 08:31

Guys that exercise was planned already and announced a month ago. Hugh is right.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 May 2019, 15:45

Yeah, Julian Sanchez and others have been pointing out that the chuckleheads are trying to spin a long-planned exercise as a scary warning.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 07 May 2019, 15:49

John Bolton wants a fucking war with Iran before the moustache recalls him to the mothership. I don’t know what it is, but Bolton is convinced it can be solved by attacking Iran.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 May 2019, 16:05

Well, I guess War with Iran is the 2020 re-election strategy. Amazing how the “don’t trust anonymous sources” crowd is all in on one random DC anonymous source that admitted didn’t have direct info, but yet firmly blamed Iran for attacking the oil tankers.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 May 2019, 17:58

Mo wrote:
14 May 2019, 16:05
Well, I guess War with Iran is the 2020 re-election strategy. Amazing how the “don’t trust anonymous sources” crowd is all in on one random DC anonymous source that admitted didn’t have direct info, but yet firmly blamed Iran for attacking the oil tankers.
That is my fear.

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 May 2019, 18:14

I can’t imagine it will be effective. Wars are popular when they get people to rally around the flag because they feel under attack. Who the fuck has sympathy for the Saudis or is scared of the Iranians that isn’t already in Team Red? Especially when we’re pulling money from warfighting to build pointless walls.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 May 2019, 19:10

Mo wrote:
14 May 2019, 18:14
I can’t imagine it will be effective. Wars are popular when they get people to rally around the flag because they feel under attack. Who the fuck has sympathy for the Saudis or is scared of the Iranians that isn’t already in Team Red? Especially when we’re pulling money from warfighting to build pointless walls.
I've just watched a large portion of Congress fuck a lot of shit up in the last 2 months. Just saying.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 May 2019, 19:16

Khadaffi* gave up his nuclear program, and then the US supported people who killed him.

Saddam Hussein allowed his nuclear program to be dismantled and was then overthrown by the US.

Ukraine gave up nukes and lost Crimea.

Iran made a nuclear deal with the US, only to watch the US tear it up and rattle the saber.

Nobody will ever again give up nukes.

*The man whose name can never be transliterated the same way twice
--Mo