To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Ellie

Re: To DVDs and Beyond: The Netflix Thread

Post by Ellie » 03 Apr 2019, 11:24

nicole wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 07:51
I was totally disappointed they made She-Ra fat.

I used to say I was her back in nursery school.
She-Ra or Glimmer? She-Ra looks pretty slender to me. Glimmer has some junk in the trunk, which I think is cool.

It's just all SO GAY and every time you think it can't get gayer, it does. I love it.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Apr 2019, 12:24

Ellie wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 11:24
nicole wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 07:51
I was totally disappointed they made She-Ra fat.

I used to say I was her back in nursery school.
She-Ra or Glimmer? She-Ra looks pretty slender to me. Glimmer has some junk in the trunk, which I think is cool.

It's just all SO GAY and every time you think it can't get gayer, it does. I love it.
I used to be She-Ra and Glimmer was my invisible friend. Admittedly She-Ra does look way better. in comparison It's mostly a combo of She-Ra's face and the fact that her waist is less nipped in/broad shoulders but no boobs. Glimmer...man her arms are just sad. I haven't actually watched it at all, just saw pictures when they were first revealed and I was like hmmm they look kind of like little boys now? Which, I quickly got the message that it was very gay, so the look made a lot of sense.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Apr 2019, 12:37

nicole wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 12:24
I haven't actually watched it at all, just saw pictures when they were first revealed and I was like hmmm they look kind of like little boys now?
They're meant to be about 12, I think. Definitely pre-puberty. No boobs, no hips. I don't know why they changed the age so much (they were adults in the original, right?)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Apr 2019, 12:38

I kind of want to go back and watch some original He-Man now, because I feel like that will also be super gay, albeit in a very different way.

dhex

Post by dhex » 03 Apr 2019, 12:45

Nothing gay about a dude in a harness wrestling a guy made out of hard unyielding bones.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Apr 2019, 12:49

Ellie wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 12:37
nicole wrote:
I haven't actually watched it at all, just saw pictures when they were first revealed and I was like hmmm they look kind of like little boys now?
They're meant to be about 12, I think. Definitely pre-puberty. No boobs, no hips. I don't know why they changed the age so much (they were adults in the original, right?)
Yeah, they were adults.

Jeez, if only 12 had been pre-puberty for me lol.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Apr 2019, 14:26

dhex wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 12:45
Nothing gay about a dude in a harness wrestling a guy made out of hard unyielding bones.

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Apr 2019, 15:34

Ellie wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 12:37
nicole wrote:
Maybe they originally sought production money from Michael Jackson.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 22 Apr 2019, 21:05

I'm not sure where season 2 of Sabrina is going, but I am sure that Aunt Hilda is the best character.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Apr 2019, 02:49

The Ray Romano "Right Here Around The Corner" comedy special is pretty good. There were definitely a few jokes where I laughed loud enough to wake the baby.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 23 Apr 2019, 13:56

Hugh Akston wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 21:05
I'm not sure where season 2 of Sabrina is going, but I am sure that Aunt Hilda is the best character.
The whole bit about the almonds in the cookies had us rolling on the floor.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Apr 2019, 14:17

Hugh Akston wrote:
Natch, but how does Lucy Davis stack up against Caroline Rhea?
P.I.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Apr 2019, 16:11

Warren wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 14:17
Hugh Akston wrote:
Natch, but how does Lucy Davis stack up against Caroline Rhea?
P.I.
Well. Very well.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Apr 2019, 16:43

tr0g wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 13:56
Hugh Akston wrote:
The whole bit about the almonds in the cookies had us rolling on the floor.
That was an excellent scene.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Apr 2019, 19:30

I continue to enjoy the rainbow-spangled lesbian mosh pit that is She-Ra. Although every time she does her transformation scene, I think of the Sailor Moon bit from Robot Chicken.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Apr 2019, 02:57

I think we need a term for the big payoff in a season finale that the show didn't really earn, and I think we need to apply that term liberally to season 2 of Sabrina.

The moment at the end between Prudence and Ambrose could have benefited from some more attention to building thematic parallels and a complex relationship. Blackwood's fascist misogyny could have been developed more subtly. Zelda's Stepfordization could have lasted more than an episode, and her response to it could have been more Machiavellian or even wrathful would have been fine. All the stuff going on with Harvey/Roz/Theo felt kind of perfunctory. Lucifer could have been around for more than a single episode, which would have made the tensions between him and Blackwood more interesting, and raised the stakes of the back and forth of the witches trying to stop him.

Of course there was no salvaging the prophesy/chosen one angle, which is always a lame crutch for bad storytelling.

Sabrina raises some interesting questions about patriarchal power structures and the responses to them, but it's really hard to address them adequately, much less resolve them satisfyingly, when you're only doing like eight episodes per season.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 May 2019, 10:26

Does this thread cover all streaming VODs? I'm losing interest in Netflix and moving to Hulu for Letterkenny and Archer, but I want to know what else is worth watching from their library.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 May 2019, 10:39

We watch Bob's Burgers and Brooklyn Nine-Nine on there. They also have a decent back catalog of reality shows like Top Chef, Project Runway, Intervention, and Hoarders, if you're into that.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 May 2019, 12:56

Yeah, NF's picks are getting pretty slim. I get that they want to produce their own content, and that's cool, but browsing for something on there is becoming more and more futile. Maybe they should hire better marketing folks becasue a lot of the little descriptive blurbs are just terrible.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 May 2019, 13:32

I miss having a huge catalog of movies that was reasonably searchable.

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 May 2019, 14:19

Netflix search and recommendations are total crap.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 May 2019, 19:57

Cobra Kai on YouTube is still way better than it has any right to be. The guy who plays Johnny Lawrence actually learned to act at some point.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 07 May 2019, 20:49

Number 6 wrote:
07 May 2019, 19:57
Cobra Kai on YouTube is still way better than it has any right to be. The guy who plays Johnny Lawrence actually learned to act at some point.
I'm just glad that my working theory about Daniel-son being an aggressive asshole has born fruit.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 07 May 2019, 23:43

Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 May 2019, 20:49
Number 6 wrote:
I'm just glad that my working theory about Daniel-son being an aggressive asshole has born fruit.
I am entertained by the use the show has made of the "Daniel was a bully" narrative.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 May 2019, 08:27

Number 6 wrote:
07 May 2019, 23:43
Pham Nuwen wrote:
07 May 2019, 20:49
Number 6 wrote:
I am entertained by the use the show has made of the "Daniel was a bully" narrative.
Because there was no suspension of disbelief. Daniel-son was an aggressive asshole. Lawrence literally went out of his way to avoid conflict but Daniel-son just used those times to keep needling him. They were teenagers and the only one who tried to be a grownup was Lawrence. How much is a teenager supposed to take before they do the stupid teenager routine?