Orange is the new President

dhex

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by dhex » 19 Mar 2019, 20:30

mostafa kamel is a nice touch.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Mar 2019, 05:21

John Snow was the worst tho. Guy knew nothing.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 20 Mar 2019, 08:34

lunchstealer wrote:
20 Mar 2019, 05:21
John Snow was the worst tho. Guy knew nothing.
Dude was down with the lord's kiss. He knew what was really up.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 21 Mar 2019, 02:23

I nominate the anti-McCain rant at the tank factory in Lima, OH as a potential bubble-popping point in the rise and fall of the Trumpocracy. All morals aside, from a purely show biz standpoint, I've never seen him bomb so badly.

Even the crickets stopped chirping...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Mar 2019, 14:28

Taktix® wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 02:23
I nominate the anti-McCain rant at the tank factory in Lima, OH as a potential bubble-popping point in the rise and fall of the Trumpocracy. All morals aside, from a purely show biz standpoint, I've never seen him bomb so badly.

I'd like to think so, but I suspect that anyone who STILL supports Trump after all this time is impervious to any sort of reason.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Mar 2019, 16:00

Jennifer wrote:
Taktix[emoji2400 wrote:[quote=Taktix post_id=439145 time=1553149404 user_id=100]

I'd like to think so, but I suspect that anyone who STILL supports Trump after all this time is impervious to any sort of reason.
I'm not sure it's about reason specifically. His appeal is all about owning the libtards. That's cathartic for a while, but it wears off eventually. At that point they'll pick a reason to do whatever they wanted and tell themselves they were right to support trump at the time but things are different now so we're not doing that anymore. Just has to get critical mass of I'm sick of his shit talk around the water cooler so people feel safe doing it without seeming like libtards to their red tribe peer group.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Mar 2019, 16:14

lunchstealer wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 16:00
Jennifer wrote:
Taktix[emoji2400 wrote:[quote=Taktix post_id=439145 time=1553149404 user_id=100]

I'm not sure it's about reason specifically. His appeal is all about owning the libtards. That's cathartic for a while, but it wears off eventually. At that point they'll pick a reason to do whatever they wanted and tell themselves they were right to support trump at the time but things are different now so we're not doing that anymore. Just has to get critical mass of I'm sick of his shit talk around the water cooler so people feel safe doing it without seeming like libtards to their red tribe peer group.
I don't know -- this is another thing where I likely would've agreed BEFORE Trump took office and I got to see how people reacted to him. No matter how vile he gets, I doubt his supporters will turn on him unless they decide owning the libtards maybe is NOT the single most important thing one can do.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Mar 2019, 16:37

lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I have a theory that there's about 10-15% of the population who base the entirety of their approval or disapproval on how the economy is doing. Look at W; he didn't truly fall off until the economy tanked. Trump's got them plus the Republican partisans, and it's why he never really drops below high 30s.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Mar 2019, 16:54

Shem wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 16:37
lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I have a theory that there's about 10-15% of the population who base the entirety of their approval or disapproval on how the economy is doing. Look at W; he didn't truly fall off until the economy tanked. Trump's got them plus the Republican partisans, and it's why he never really drops below high 30s.
The real test will be if the economy goes south between now and 11/3/20. If it happens and his approval doesn't drop then, I have to go with the Red Trump Derangement Syndrome.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 21 Mar 2019, 18:18

Shem wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 16:37
lunchstealer wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I'd modify your estimate to say 10-15% on each side. It won't make them support the other team's guy in a good economy but it determines their support of their own team's president.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Mar 2019, 18:30

I dunno it feels like it’s gotta be closer to 20% regardless of party. Has there ever been a president this far underwater during an economy with unemployment within a country mile of these levels?

Also, Trump better pray to God hard Brexit doesn’t go through because it’ll be enough to trigger at least enough of a global hiccup to cause a recession.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Mar 2019, 17:44

OFFS:

President Trump Threatens to Close Mexican Border Next Week Over Immigration

I am sure the produce farmers in Texas, Arizona and California will be delighted. As will the manufacturers whose just-in-time supply chains will be disrupted.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Mar 2019, 17:48

I'm rooting for the cholesterol blockages.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 18:51

Given the just-in-time chains Aresen mentioned, this is something where all American consumers -- which is to say all Americans, because we all gotta eat -- will feel the downstream effects almost immediately.

The MAGA maggots will respond by mentioning HIllary's emails.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Apr 2019, 14:21

Can someone point me to an article that sums up what the fuck is going on with the Mueller report? There's a fucking wheat to chaff ratio way off the chart with this shit.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2019, 14:32

So the Chinese woman with the thumb drive at Mar a Lago was either a fake or some freelancer. No actual PRC spy would be that incompetent, right?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Apr 2019, 16:42

It's possible that things have gotten so easy that people are getting sloppy and lazy.

Or its the R2D2 gambit - be around someone who's obvious you can sneak around unnoticed.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Apr 2019, 16:53

It could be that even China has veal.

Or it could be like Kolohe said, and these aren't the thumb drives you're looking for.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 03 Apr 2019, 17:32

The distraction gambit is also one that appeals to me. However, the downside of that is the intelligent thing to do following a caught person like this to do a deep scan to see if there were any breaches installed that you may have missed. Trump is dumb, but the USSS and counterintelligence is not. On the third hand, you could make them look for thumb drives when what you actually did was install a bunch of secret microphones and cameras in Mar a Lago.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Apr 2019, 19:35

Remember, intelligence gathering is a government program. Secret agents are only genius ninja social operators in movies.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 03 Apr 2019, 20:07

Maria Butina apparently went around telling her classmates that she worked for the Russian government. She used Twitter to communicate with her handler.

I'm starting to think that spies are what happens when a person with the mental acuity of a state paper-pusher decides to live dangerously. I'm willing to believe that the intelligence officers sitting behind desks in Beijing are smarter than this, but they're probably also smart enough to realize that they get the same state pension whether they stay in Beijing or risk arrest by the Secret Service.
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Apr 2019, 08:30

When you have a billion people, the top 1% is 10 million people.

But so is the bottom 1%.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Apr 2019, 12:24

thoreau wrote:
03 Apr 2019, 20:07
Maria Butina apparently went around telling her classmates that she worked for the Russian government. She used Twitter to communicate with her handler.

I'm starting to think that spies are what happens when a person with the mental acuity of a state paper-pusher decides to live dangerously. I'm willing to believe that the intelligence officers sitting behind desks in Beijing are smarter than this, but they're probably also smart enough to realize that they get the same state pension whether they stay in Beijing or risk arrest by the Secret Service.
I dunno. Seems like you'd get the pick of the spying litter for the Mar a Lago job. From Beijing's POV you have direct access to the president and his friends, so you want a good spy. From the spy's POV, you get to hang out in Palm Beach instead of Pyongyang, Seoul, Moscow, Taipei or DC.

Mo

Post by Mo » 04 Apr 2019, 12:27

Come the fuck on, now Herman Cain is getting named to the Fed? How is it that I'm more qualified to be on the Fed than the last two nominees.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Apr 2019, 12:35

Well, the interest rate will either be 9.99% or 0.999%.
--Mo