Brexit: what say ye?

Aresen

Re: Brexit: what say ye?

Post by Aresen » 21 Jan 2018, 12:23

That looks more anti-Brexit than pro-Brexit.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jan 2019, 22:01

This MAY get interesting.
The United Kingdom is in crisis after Members of Parliament soundly rejected a withdrawal deal with the European Union and threw the government’s Brexit plan into chaos.

The clock is now ticking as Prime Minister Theresa May scrambles for a way out of the Brexit impasse while facing a confidence vote in her government.

The defeat on Tuesday by 432 to 202 dealt a humiliating blow to Ms. May, who saw 118 of her Conservative Party colleagues vote against the agreement, which also included a framework for future trade negotiations. It is the largest Parliamentary defeat for a British government since 1924. The result means that with just 11 weeks to go before the March 29 deadline for Britain to leave the EU, the government is no closer to reaching arrangements with the EU on issues including trade, border controls, transportation and financial services.
May is toast. So, I think, is Britain.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Jan 2019, 23:09

Aresen wrote:
15 Jan 2019, 22:01
This MAY get interesting.
The United Kingdom is in crisis after Members of Parliament soundly rejected a withdrawal deal with the European Union and threw the government’s Brexit plan into chaos.

The clock is now ticking as Prime Minister Theresa May scrambles for a way out of the Brexit impasse while facing a confidence vote in her government.

The defeat on Tuesday by 432 to 202 dealt a humiliating blow to Ms. May, who saw 118 of her Conservative Party colleagues vote against the agreement, which also included a framework for future trade negotiations. It is the largest Parliamentary defeat for a British government since 1924. The result means that with just 11 weeks to go before the March 29 deadline for Britain to leave the EU, the government is no closer to reaching arrangements with the EU on issues including trade, border controls, transportation and financial services.
May is toast. So, I think, is Britain.
Britain will fare better than the EU.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2019, 18:20

Harsh but true.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jan 2019, 18:26

Are we talking May or the UK or both? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2019, 18:30

The UK. I feel bad for May and think she’s done about a good a job as she can do with the shitty hand she got dealt. When you’re sitting at the table with an off suit 2 and 6, there’s not much you can do.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jan 2019, 19:19

I'd go with both. I don't think she could have gotten a better deal* from Europe, but she handled the politics of it so ineptly (see the 2017 general election) that she made last Tuesday's defeat almost inevitable.

*I know we talked about it earlier and I know Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees-Mogg are total nincompoops, but the fact that Brexit was going to be a shit sandwich is why I preferred that one of them was in 10 Downing Street so they would be the ones who had to eat it.

Now, we're going to have Corbyn as PM no later than 2022 (or one of his hard-left Labour group if Corbyn dies).

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Jan 2019, 18:15

Nom nom on the salty game tears of retirees voting for Leave losing their free health care in warm parts of Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 29 Jan 2019, 22:12

Mo wrote:
29 Jan 2019, 18:15
Nom nom on the salty game tears of retirees voting for Leave losing their free health care in warm parts of Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit
https://twitter.com/cavalorn/status/654 ... 36?lang=en
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2019, 20:20

So, the UK Parliament rejected May's second Brexit deal yesterday.

Today, they voted to reject a 'no deal' Brexit:

British lawmakers vote against no-deal Brexit as EU divorce looms

What magic unicorn do they think will get them out of this mess?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Mar 2019, 21:58

I, for one, look forward to my budget vacation in the UK when the pound plummets below the dollar.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Mar 2019, 22:11

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 21:58
I, for one, look forward to my budget vacation in the UK when the pound plummets below the dollar.
Downside is you will still be surrounded by the English.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Mar 2019, 08:31

Aresen wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 20:20

Hopefully stall until I move out.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Mar 2019, 14:40

Mo wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 08:31
Aresen wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 20:20

Hopefully stall until I move out.
How long before your next parole hearing?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Mar 2019, 17:01

June 2020

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Mar 2019, 17:47

This could go in the "Orange is the New President" thread as well:

Donald Trump: Theresa May ‘didn’t listen’ to me on Brexit
U.S. President Donald Trump said Theresa May "didn't listen" to his ideas on how to negotiate Brexit, and a second vote on EU membership would be "very unfair to the people that won."

Trump was speaking in Washington on Thursday alongside Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar, who is in the U.S for St. Patrick's Day celebrations.

The U.S. president said he "predicted it [Brexit] was going to happen and I was right and people laughed when I predicted it and they won by about two points."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2019, 10:47

Looks like Theresa May will have to fall on her sword to get the Brexit deal through Parliament.

From Cameron's decision to hold the vote while saying it would be non-binding to May's election call in 2017 to the dunderheaded posturing of all sides, it looks like they may finally get a Brexit at the last possible moment.

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Mar 2019, 11:39

If they're stupid enough to believe her if she says she'll quit in exchange, they deserve what they get.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Mar 2019, 12:52

Mexit means mexit.

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Mar 2019, 18:48

I take back every nice thing I’ve ever said about Theresa May. Ellie, can we delete the archives?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Mar 2019, 19:30

Mo wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 18:48
I take back every nice thing I’ve ever said about Theresa May.
Why? From what [little] I have read about the matter, it doesn't seem like she'd have any hope of accomplishing anything useful if she stayed where she is; seems like stepping down and hoping her replacement might have better luck is her best option at this point (assuming she genuinely wants what is "best for Britain" re: this Brexit nonsense).

Apparently her defeat in that Brexit vote made Parliamentary history for "loss by greatest margin" or something along those lines?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2019, 21:26

Jennifer wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 19:30
Mo wrote:
Why? From what [little] I have read about the matter, it doesn't seem like she'd have any hope of accomplishing anything useful if she stayed where she is; seems like stepping down and hoping her replacement might have better luck is her best option at this point (assuming she genuinely wants what is "best for Britain" re: this Brexit nonsense).

Apparently her defeat in that Brexit vote made Parliamentary history for "loss by greatest margin" or something along those lines?
What Jennifer said plus nobody was going to find a way to have a 'good' Brexit.

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2019, 05:21

Aresen wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:26
Jennifer wrote:
Mo wrote:

Sure, but even with the shit sandwich she was served, she did a lot of stupid things. No one forced her to submit Article 50 without having a framework of plans that Parliament would agree to. No one forced her to hold a snap election that weakened her power and leverage. Also, no one made her go and berate Parliament and try to push blame from herself to them, pissing them off right before they went to vote on her proposal. She was in a bad situation, but managed to make it worse.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Mar 2019, 14:49

Mo wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 05:21
Aresen wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 21:26
Jennifer wrote:
Mo wrote:

Sure, but even with the shit sandwich she was served, she did a lot of stupid things. No one forced her to submit Article 50 without having a framework of plans that Parliament would agree to. No one forced her to hold a snap election that weakened her power and leverage. Also, no one made her go and berate Parliament and try to push blame from herself to them, pissing them off right before they went to vote on her proposal. She was in a bad situation, but managed to make it worse.
Oh, I agree with all that. I'm just surprised that, of all the bonehead things she's done, it's her stepping down that made you rescind any previous sympathy you tossed her way. Or was it simply a straw breaking the camel's back thing?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Brexit: what say ye?

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2019, 14:52

Stepping down wasn’t even the thing. It’s just all the stupid stunts the past 2 weeks. There were a lot of straws recently.