Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 02 Feb 2019, 07:42

If someone gave the bomb to actual hitler does this same argument apply? It so weird.

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Feb 2019, 09:14

lunchstealer wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 01:58
Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 01:51
Warren wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 23:02
Hugh Akston wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 23:00
JasonL wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 22:26
Hugh Akston wrote: I guess I'm less sanguine about one war machine having a strategic advantage over another.
This is that thing where there’s no difference between USSR and any other state. It’s a bad look meign.
That's definitely one way to read it. Another way would be "it's not clear what gives the one country that dropped nuclear weapons on non-combatants a monopoly claim on them".
Really? When I grew up every mother taught her children "Two wrongs don't make a right". Must be a regional thing.
I think dropping the Bomb is the first wrong, but what's the second?
Handing the bomb to the guy who'd be history's greatest monster if it weren't for Hitler?
Some of us think he was worse than Hitler.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Feb 2019, 12:18

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 01:58

Handing the bomb to the guy who'd be history's greatest monster if it weren't for Hitler?
Some of us think he was worse than Hitler.
Also valid.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Mo » 02 Feb 2019, 18:02

I mean, look what happened when we gave bomb information to The Gap Band.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Feb 2019, 18:49

They were victims not perpetrators in that round of aggression.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Feb 2019, 10:33

Mo wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 18:02
I mean, look what happened when we gave bomb information to The Gap Band.
The other Charlie Wilson's War.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Feb 2019, 13:38

Look, I'm not going to persuade you guys that our concentration camps being better than their concentration camps or their genocides having way higher numbers than our genocides isn't a great basis for American exceptionalism. But the bottom line re: the Rosenbergs is that the US government murdered two people who never harmed anybody. They would have got the same treatment had they given the information to the International Red Cross or published it in the Saturday Evening Post, and not because putting the information out there is dangerous. If endangering the world for putting nuclear weapons technology in the hands of unstable megalomaniacs who might possibly hypothetically one day maybe drop them on people was the actual concern then the entire staff of the Manhattan Project would have been dragged into the NM desert and shot. The Rosenbergs got theirs because America likes its little secrets and will strike down with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy their strategic advantage. There is no articulable moral justification for treason as a crime beyond xenophobic shit-flinging simian tribalism.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2019, 13:51

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 13:38
Look, I'm not going to persuade you guys that our concentration camps being better than their concentration camps or their genocides having way higher numbers than our genocides isn't a great basis for American exceptionalism. But the bottom line re: the Rosenbergs is that the US government murdered two people who never harmed anybody. They would have got the same treatment had they given the information to the International Red Cross or published it in the Saturday Evening Post, and not because putting the information out there is dangerous. If endangering the world for putting nuclear weapons technology in the hands of unstable megalomaniacs who might possibly hypothetically one day maybe drop them on people was the actual concern then the entire staff of the Manhattan Project would have been dragged into the NM desert and shot. The Rosenbergs got theirs because America likes its little secrets and will strike down with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy their strategic advantage. There is no articulable moral justification for treason as a crime beyond xenophobic shit-flinging simian tribalism.
I'm going to go with Nope on all of that.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Feb 2019, 17:03

Warren wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 13:51
Hugh Akston wrote:
Your compelling argument has opened my eyes and swayed my heart.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Feb 2019, 17:26

Hugh Akston wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 17:03
Warren wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 13:51
Hugh Akston wrote:
Your compelling argument has opened my eyes and swayed my heart.
So glad I took the time and trouble edit down my 5,000 word rebuttal with charts and footnotes.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Feb 2019, 22:10

I would actually be very interested to see someone articulate a defense of treason in general and the Rosenbergs in particular that didn't boil down to Hugh you cray.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Feb 2019, 07:17

Will always sound like you cray to your ears because you categorically reject distinctions other people find super important.

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Feb 2019, 08:06

But I mean...the people who worked on nukes for the US were also bad. It’s not like sharing nuclear secrets is good just because treason isn’t meaningful.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 04 Feb 2019, 15:29

nicole wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 08:06
But I mean...the people who worked on nukes for the US were also bad. It’s not like sharing nuclear secrets is good just because treason isn’t meaningful.
I didn't say it was. I just don't think people should be executed for victimless crimes.

nicole

Post by nicole » 04 Feb 2019, 15:32

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 15:29
nicole wrote:
I didn't say it was. I just don't think people should be executed for victimless crimes.
But the actual original question was about whether you were supposed to like them.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Feb 2019, 16:07

Hugh Akston wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 15:29
nicole wrote:
Well I'm okay with not executing anyone so there's that. But I don't know that handing nukes to Stalin is 100% victimless. The cold war and nuclear arms race might've gone differently had he had to work harder to get the bomb. Might have gone better, might have gone worse. But it's a case of distributed victims vs concentrated, and given that it's a state and a particularly oppressive state at that, it's not all consensual like a drug transaction or a non-coerced/trafficked sex work purchase.

Ultimately I think there can be acts that are cast as treason or treasony that aren't harmful and perhaps helpful (arguably Snowden, and maybe Manning), but there are acts that legitimately enable an undemocratic regime to be more aggressive or hostile, and that's not victimless.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Feb 2019, 10:23

Pretty funny episode of The Dollop about Proctor & Gamble and the satanic panic.

Bonus points for guessing who else was involved ...

(skip to 7:30 to avoid all the ads)

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/364-proctor ... live-in-la
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Feb 2019, 14:13

An all time classic cum town episode from election night:

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Feb 2019, 14:16

The infamous virgin episode

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Mar 2019, 10:39

5thC has some full throated Maduro apologetics going on. Wow that guy has some selective vision.

nicole

Post by nicole » 05 Mar 2019, 12:39

I was about to listen to that one on the plane but decided I better save it for Dubs later this week.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Mar 2019, 12:50

I tried listening to it for the lulz. But between all the eye popping, jaw dropping, and gasping I think I missed a few punchlines.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 06 Mar 2019, 06:13

Yeah, this week's Fifth Column had more bulldada ramblings than the latest Puzzling Evidence.

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Mar 2019, 11:40

New 5thC up.
Moynihan gets it
I think that he's [Michael Jackson] clearly a complete weirdo. Which the evidence for that is listening to him talk. So if you've ever heard Michael Jackson talk, it's not the timber of his voice, it's the things that he says. The fact that he named his kid Blanket. You know, things like that.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Mar 2019, 09:15

New 5thC: Kmele and Yang.

Does anyone have a good explanation for why prices won't just rise to wipe out the gains of UBI? Is it because the payments are balanced against not using other safety net services?