Our Friends, The House of Saud

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26521
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by thoreau » 18 Oct 2018, 20:00

Ezekiel 25:17
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22894
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Jennifer » 18 Oct 2018, 21:46

Remember what Jesus said: "It is easier for a rich man to go through the eye of a needle if you hack him into little pieces with a bone saw first -- wait, did I say 'rich man'? I meant 'journalist'."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22894
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Jennifer » 18 Oct 2018, 22:32

A Saudi newspaper describes Khashoggi's death as a comedy, and also it is somehow Qatar's fault. (This is what they're publishing in the English language; I shudder to imagine what they're saying in newspapers the typical American doesn't know how to read.)

http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/545845
SOON, drama of the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey will come to an end. Truly this is nothing but a comedy act that turned to international media and was orchestrated by haters and ill-wishers in Qatar who were working day and night to come up with this skit.

With this drama coming to a near end, signs of fear are visible on the faces on the producers, writers, actors and directors, while at the same time, Saudis will be laughing and recording a new victory. Saudis will stress the fact that their country is a great nation in the region and a leader of the Islamic world and is not shaken by these malicious acts. As for their opponents, they are nothing more than small parasites with a very short life cycle.

There are those who will try to magnify this incident for different reasons and they are in different camps. There are the kids in the camp of the Qatari regime and their goal is clear: to damage the reputation of Saudi Arabia on the international level. This was their main mission from the mid-1990s, since they established their cheap propaganda channel Al-Jazeera and attracted mercenaries and those who were kicked out from their own countries to manage this channel. There are terrorist groups and their supporters and there are countries with weak economy who are looking to get advantage from this case by engaging in the media campaign against Saudi Arabia, to embezzle Saudi money and quick economic deals.

There are leftist groups in the West who see the stability in the region goes against their main project. They believe that Saudi Arabia is the central country that put an end to the Arab Spring project, which was supported by these groups, and Saudi Arabia buried it forever.

All these groups are exposed and they will achieve no results. There are, however, a group that is playing a dangerous role in the dark and we need to crush them. They are an inferior group that does not have the courage to announce its support to Qatar publicly. But they are playing an indirect role by spreading rumors and circulating fake news among Saudis in an effort to make them doubt their government.

Yes, Saudis will have the last laugh at the end of this comedy act and Saudi Arabia will get out from this stronger while striking fear in the hearts of its enemies. We need in-house cleaning from these parasites who were exposed by the Khashoggi incident.

With this drama coming to a near end, signs of fear are visible on the faces on the producers, writers, actors and directors, while at the same time, Saudis will be laughing and recording a new victory.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 05:23

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 18:24
Shem wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 15:30
The questions about what if anything would have been done if this were a Clinton administration rather than a Trump adminstration ignores that this probably wouldn't have been done under a Clinton adminstration in the first place (or a Bush administration, for that matter).
I'm not convinced.

I don't think Bush, Obama, or Clinton would pull the oh, it's so unfair to accuse them of things just because they murdered someone bullshit that Trump is engaging in, but I didn't see anything remarkable or shocking about the Saudis doing this. This thread exists because the KSA engages in atrocities. The only difference is that the WaPo and others didn't let this die.

(And contra trog, good for them. Someone targets a cop for death, his fellows freak out and start shooting at random people in trucks. Someone target a reporter for death, and his fellows...let us know about it.)
I am Shemian on this. Much like Trump's election has let American racists feel that they can say the quiet part loud, Trump's attitude towards despots has given them the feeling that they have space to do this as long as they say nice things about him.

Also, I would say it's perfectly natural. We would do the same if someone fucked with a gryller. People on the gryll get in trouble and we help them, even though there are folks in the world with bigger issues.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15475
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by dhex » 19 Oct 2018, 07:37

the article jennifer linked above illustrates why killing/intimidating journalists is a bad precedent - you get a lot of crazy ass jerking off bc people are scared of getting bonesawed.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 08:31

Fear of a bonesaw explains why a Saudi journalist would react that way, but what explains the Erick Erickson and Federalist bros of the world? Yes, I am aware that that is some Catholic Sunday school shit like, "If God is good, why does he let bad things happen?"
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9098
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by nicole » 19 Oct 2018, 09:08

I'm trying to decide whether I should re-email the running clothes company I've been boycotted ever since they partnered with a Saudi collaborator and ask if they feel bad about that yet. They never responded to my first email and yes I'm still mad.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15475
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by dhex » 19 Oct 2018, 12:02

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 08:31
Fear of a bonesaw explains why a Saudi journalist would react that way, but what explains the Erick Erickson and Federalist bros of the world?
Sports bar ist kreig

Though I'm not totally sure. Maybe Iran is such an amazing counterweight that MBS gets a free pass on the blender while he consolidates power?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 12:10

It's not sportsbar, it's dirty money.

Honestly, I would trade Iran straight up for Saudi Arabia right now as a client state. Iran is much closer to liberalizing and the threat of shutting off western universities to Saudi elites is enough to keep them more in line. Also, Iranian scientists are better than KSA's.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9098
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by nicole » 19 Oct 2018, 12:21

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 12:10
It's not sportsbar, it's dirty money.

Honestly, I would trade Iran straight up for Saudi Arabia right now as a client state. Iran is much closer to liberalizing and the threat of shutting off western universities to Saudi elites is enough to keep them more in line. Also, Iranian scientists are better than KSA's.
I’ve been saying this to dubs all week.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26521
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 12:22

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 12:10
Honestly, I would trade Iran straight up for Saudi Arabia right now as a client state. Iran is much closer to liberalizing and the threat of shutting off western universities to Saudi elites is enough to keep them more in line. Also, Iranian scientists are better than KSA's.
KSA has scientists?

Persians are civilized people. Always have been. Their government is shit, but what government isn't? And the people are decent.

The Saudis are a bunch of nutjobs with oil.

I've always thought it a shame that the civilized people of the Middle East and North Africa are called "Arabs" merely because their distant ancestors were conquered by people from the Arabian Peninsula. Mesopotamia, the Levant, Egypt, and the cities of North Africa invented and disseminated civilization as we know it. The Arabian Peninsula has a few decent parts but is mostly rednecks.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 13:12

Egypt* is the only Arab nation, the rest are just tribes with flags.

* I would modify this by adding Iraq and Lebanaon
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26521
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 13:22

Syria has had plenty of millennia of civilization. Ditto for Tunisia.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13529
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Kolohe » 19 Oct 2018, 13:57

Jennifer wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 22:32
A Saudi newspaper describes Khashoggi's death as a comedy, and also it is somehow Qatar's fault. (This is what they're publishing in the English language; I shudder to imagine what they're saying in newspapers the typical American doesn't know how to read.)

http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/545845
SOON, drama of the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey will come to an end. Truly this is nothing but a comedy act that turned to international media and was orchestrated by haters and ill-wishers in Qatar who were working day and night to come up with this skit.

With this drama coming to a near end, signs of fear are visible on the faces on the producers, writers, actors and directors, while at the same time, Saudis will be laughing and recording a new victory. Saudis will stress the fact that their country is a great nation in the region and a leader of the Islamic world and is not shaken by these malicious acts. As for their opponents, they are nothing more than small parasites with a very short life cycle.

There are those who will try to magnify this incident for different reasons and they are in different camps. There are the kids in the camp of the Qatari regime and their goal is clear: to damage the reputation of Saudi Arabia on the international level. This was their main mission from the mid-1990s, since they established their cheap propaganda channel Al-Jazeera and attracted mercenaries and those who were kicked out from their own countries to manage this channel. There are terrorist groups and their supporters and there are countries with weak economy who are looking to get advantage from this case by engaging in the media campaign against Saudi Arabia, to embezzle Saudi money and quick economic deals.

There are leftist groups in the West who see the stability in the region goes against their main project. They believe that Saudi Arabia is the central country that put an end to the Arab Spring project, which was supported by these groups, and Saudi Arabia buried it forever.

All these groups are exposed and they will achieve no results. There are, however, a group that is playing a dangerous role in the dark and we need to crush them. They are an inferior group that does not have the courage to announce its support to Qatar publicly. But they are playing an indirect role by spreading rumors and circulating fake news among Saudis in an effort to make them doubt their government.

Yes, Saudis will have the last laugh at the end of this comedy act and Saudi Arabia will get out from this stronger while striking fear in the hearts of its enemies. We need in-house cleaning from these parasites who were exposed by the Khashoggi incident.

With this drama coming to a near end, signs of fear are visible on the faces on the producers, writers, actors and directors, while at the same time, Saudis will be laughing and recording a new victory.
The "Okaz newspaper" header indicates to me that this is a column in the arabic-language paper that was translated into English. Wikipedia says that Okaz is the New York Post of Jeddah.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15475
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by dhex » 19 Oct 2018, 14:01

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 12:10
It's not sportsbar, it's dirty money.

Honestly, I would trade Iran straight up for Saudi Arabia right now as a client state. Iran is much closer to liberalizing and the threat of shutting off western universities to Saudi elites is enough to keep them more in line. Also, Iranian scientists are better than KSA's.
Jeeze Ben domenech is just total shit.

I'd agree on the iran ksa swap.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14748
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Aresen » 19 Oct 2018, 14:07

But Iran took US embassy staff hostage 38 years ago!! And they fund Shia terrorists!

It's not as if Saudi funded Wahabbi terrorists have ever done anything to us!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7226
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Shem » 19 Oct 2018, 15:34

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 12:10
It's not sportsbar, it's dirty money.

Honestly, I would trade Iran straight up for Saudi Arabia right now as a client state. Iran is much closer to liberalizing and the threat of shutting off western universities to Saudi elites is enough to keep them more in line. Also, Iranian scientists are better than KSA's.
Iran is an actual functioning Republic. A flawed one, sure, but it's a representational government. That alone ought to go a long way to making them preferable, at least if our values mean anything.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 15:57

thoreau wrote:Syria has had plenty of millennia of civilization. Ditto for Tunisia.
Syria is part of Lebanon in my construction. And Tunisia isn’t Arab they’re Berbers.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26521
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 16:12

Mo wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 15:57
thoreau wrote:Syria has had plenty of millennia of civilization. Ditto for Tunisia.
Syria is part of Lebanon in my construction. And Tunisia isn’t Arab they’re Berbers.
Tunisia has very few Berbers. They're more common in Algeria and Libya.

Since the first great civilization in Tunisia was Phoenician, and the Phoenicians were from Lebanon, I suppose one could argue that they are part of Lebanon in your construction.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 16:25

Pure Berbers, sure. But everyone in North Africa is a mutt, especially Egyptians. I’m something like 1/8-1/4 Turkish. Mostly I’m joking. Except that everyone hates Gulfies. Also, the gryll is why I can never run for office.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26521
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 16:49

Sure, but saying that they are/aren't Arabs really comes down to "What's an Arab?" If it's about speaking the language then you're an Englishman and an Arab, and the Irish are also Englishmen. If it's about having a family that's spoken Arabic for many generations, much of North Africa counts as Arabs (but much doesn't). If it's about being descended from people of the Arabian Peninsula, then we need to distinguish between people with a lot of ancestry from there and Elizabeth Warren types. Most Egyptians (and a sizable number of Iraqis) are probably as Arabian (by blood) as Elizabeth Warren is Cherokee (or even less).
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 17:06

Agree 100%.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 26521
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by thoreau » 19 Oct 2018, 18:06

Anyway, my mother's maiden name is Sicilia, so I almost certainly have distant ancestors from every part of the Mediterranean. Each part of my ancestry is about as miniscule as Elizabeth Warren's Cherokee blood, but there's a whole bunch of them. Guido Power FTW!
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23219
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 19 Oct 2018, 18:33

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 13529
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Our Friends, The House of Sawed

Post by Kolohe » 19 Oct 2018, 23:11

(stolen from the internet)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests