Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6762
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Dangerman » 12 Jun 2018, 13:34

I forced myself to listen to the Munk Debate on 'Political Correctness v. Progress' and it was awful. Nothing was accomplished, anything that looked like a new idea got trampled on. The moderator was limp and ineffective, the PC side yelled progressive slogans and angrily banged their fists about a bunch of things Peterson may or may not have said about any variety of things, Peterson yarbled about hierarchy and totalitarianism, and Fry came off so mildly that his good points were talked over.

Waste of time. Do not recommend.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27018
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 12 Jun 2018, 14:06

Dangerman wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 13:34
Waste of time. Do not recommend.
Agreed. I started watching it on YouTube and bailed after about an hour.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12486
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Ellie » 13 Aug 2018, 12:37

New favorite: Latino USA.

I admit I have only heard half of their episode about Oscar López Rivera, but it was really interesting and well done, and I'm excited to listen to more of their stories.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18230
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by dbcooper » 13 Sep 2018, 10:02

The latest Dollop podcast was pretty good. This time they look at the decidedly kooky cult Synanon, whose leader was noted for his impulsive edicts. The one requiring all members to ride Harkey Davidson motorcycles had me cracking up.

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/344-charles ... nd-synanon
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27018
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2018, 11:16

dbcooper wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 10:02
Harkey Davidson motorcycles
Is that some sort of Chinese knockoff brand?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12486
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Ellie » 13 Sep 2018, 11:46

Warren wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 11:16
dbcooper wrote:
13 Sep 2018, 10:02
Harkey Davidson motorcycles
Is that some sort of Chinese knockoff brand?
This made me laugh way too hard.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 3224
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Jasper » 25 Sep 2018, 08:58

Two for Tea is a new podcast by Iona Italia and Helen Pluckrose. I follow both on Twitter because they're essentially critical of critical theory and postmodernism. (At least I think they are; I'm often fuzzy of what these terms actually mean, tbh.) The first episode, at least what I've heard so far, is basically an introduction to themselves, and I'm assuming will sketch out what they hope their podcasts will be like.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24222
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2018, 09:17

The three parter on M Foucault on Philosophize This is pretty good. He gets at the key arguments and also why left and right keep getting them wrong.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27018
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 25 Sep 2018, 09:56

JasonL wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 09:17
The three parter on M Foucault on Philosophize This is pretty good. He gets at the key arguments and also why left and right keep getting them wrong.
I've gone as deep into philosophy as I intend to (about two semesters worth). I'm not taking 90 minutes to deep dive into Foucault. If the man had something useful to say if you take the time to understand what he was talking about, in the way that micro aggressions, intersectionality, etc. were useful concepts when first introduced, it is likewise irrelevant in that anyone citing him now is inevitably saying something deeply moronic and disconnected from any meaningful description of reality.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24222
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2018, 10:08

I think it's important to understand the actual ideas presented because they are useful in your own thinking - irrespective of how people use and abuse the language.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27018
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 25 Sep 2018, 10:15

JasonL wrote:
25 Sep 2018, 10:08
I think it's important to understand the actual ideas presented because they are useful in your own thinking - irrespective of how people use and abuse the language.
Yeah but I've got pr0n to download. If I'm going to dig into ideas, it ain't gonna be postmodernism.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24222
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 25 Sep 2018, 10:32

Is fine as long as you aren't reflexive pomo evil durr guy.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24222
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 18 Oct 2018, 11:47

The Econtalk with John Gray about 7 kinds of atheists was pretty interesting. I think he has some good points but perhaps in arguing against a doctrinaire atheism he is a bit unfair. When he argues for example that the ethics of atheists are not based in rationality but in contemporary norms, he sort of elides the fact that the exact same thing can be said of religious morality. The current interpretation of the sky father's words always just so happens to match norms of the day within bounds. So while this may be an argument against a rationally determined athiest ethics, it is also an argument against religious morality being much of a brake on excesses of the day.

I find his "all this has come before" human nature never changes shtick a bit tiresome. You have a lot of explaining to do and not just handwaving away material wellbeing if you are going to say progress is wholly illusory in the stuff that matters. At a minimum you have to concede the elevation out of subsistence reduces the conditions under which the worst of our instincts would necessarily emerge.

The most interesting bit to me is at the end when he expresses a kind of skepticism about humanity defining our best selves - he is thankful we generally can't, flip a switch and make the world the best version we can imagine, because we are not very creative in our views of the best world and we don't know ourselves very well at all. We are most likely to create nightmares for ourselves. I've long held this view as a constraint on techno utopianism of the singularity sort. I think he's really smart in his closing comments about there is no best life because there are paths you take and paths you don't take. The good from someone 25 steps into Path A may look nothing at all like a vision of the good where I press a button and reset all of my experiences to live another life. He describes this hypothetical as a life of not very interesting first chapters and I think thats right.

http://www.econtalk.org/john-gray-on-th ... f-atheism/

User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6762
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Dangerman » 18 Oct 2018, 13:53

Path dependence and local maxima.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24222
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 18 Oct 2018, 14:02

Ayup. Though part of his thing is "and we should be happy about this because we'd be retarded in our choices of a full life reset", which I think gets overlooked.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27018
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 19 Oct 2018, 12:39

JasonL wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 11:47
When he argues for example that the ethics of atheists are not based in rationality but in contemporary norms...
I would expect rationality and contemporary norms to walk side by side.
"Don't be prejudiced" is an ethic. If contemporary norms are shifting to anti-immigrant, the rational atheist should resist that shift. However, this does not oblige him to support immigration. Conversely he might have shifted his views on homosexuality, from opposing it as a behavior to acceptance, in accord with societal norms.


Off Topic, I completely fell into juvenile hysterics over Welch's unintended butt sex allusions in this weeks 5thC :oops:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12486
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Ellie » 17 Dec 2018, 15:30

I listened to a couple episodes of Oh No, Ross and Carrie! about spiritual-leader-slash-weirdo Teal Swan, which led me to a six-part Gizmodo podcast called The Gateway on the same topic. Really, what's most mysterious to me so far is how she has such a following. Maybe her magnetism is more forceful in person? Because in audio clips, she sounds like an egotistical, defensive millennial (every other word of her uptalking speech is a misused "literally") and I can't stand her.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24222
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 17 Dec 2018, 16:53

I'm fine with vocal fry but super uptalky people make me want to die.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27018
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2018, 16:59

JasonL wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 16:53
I'm fine with vocal fry but super uptalky people make me want to die kill.
fixed & +1
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3090
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Number 6 » 17 Dec 2018, 17:05

Warren wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 16:59
JasonL wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 16:53
I'm fine with vocal fry but super uptalky people make me want to die kill.
fixed & +1
+2
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 16044
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by dhex » 17 Dec 2018, 20:45

Ellie wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:30
I listened to a couple episodes of Oh No, Ross and Carrie! about spiritual-leader-slash-weirdo Teal Swan, which led me to a six-part Gizmodo podcast called The Gateway on the same topic. Really, what's most mysterious to me so far is how she has such a following. Maybe her magnetism is more forceful in person? Because in audio clips, she sounds like an egotistical, defensive millennial (every other word of her uptalking speech is a misused "literally") and I can't stand her.
She sound like her audience minus the anxiety. Hence relatable.

As for the rest man I dunno. I love tits but I've never been to a strip club. I'm not much of a seeker.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24222
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by JasonL » 18 Dec 2018, 10:40

I thought the current 5thC was pretty good. I don't agree with him on lots of things, but I like the cut of Yascha Mounk's jib.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12486
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Ellie » 18 Dec 2018, 11:00

dhex wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 20:45
Ellie wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:30
I listened to a couple episodes of Oh No, Ross and Carrie! about spiritual-leader-slash-weirdo Teal Swan, which led me to a six-part Gizmodo podcast called The Gateway on the same topic. Really, what's most mysterious to me so far is how she has such a following. Maybe her magnetism is more forceful in person? Because in audio clips, she sounds like an egotistical, defensive millennial (every other word of her uptalking speech is a misused "literally") and I can't stand her.
She sound like her audience minus the anxiety. Hence relatable.

As for the rest man I dunno. I love tits but I've never been to a strip club. I'm not much of a seeker.
She believes in repressed memories -- thinks her parents were Satanic and sewed her up in a corpse once -- and a big part of her shtick is helping other people recover repressed memories about their own parents. So she's super gross and harmful. And then on top of that she sounds like an over-ombred Lululemon wearer bitching at a Starbucks barista. I am BAFFLED by her appeal (to an apparently very diverse audience, age- and race-wise).
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Tuco
Posts: 272
Joined: 18 Feb 2017, 21:00

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Tuco » 21 Dec 2018, 06:24

So often those cult leaders are described as "charismatic," and man, they just seem like goobers. Remember the Heaven's Gate guy? Koresh? I wouldn't have followed those sons of bitches to the 7-11 if I was jonesing for a goddamn Snickers, but you hear quite often about how charismatic they are.

People are weird.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27018
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Podcasts - Watcha listening to?

Post by Warren » 21 Dec 2018, 09:54

Tuco wrote:
21 Dec 2018, 06:24
So often those cult leaders are described as "charismatic," and man, they just seem like goobers. Remember the Heaven's Gate guy? Koresh? I wouldn't have followed those sons of bitches to the 7-11 if I was jonesing for a goddamn Snickers, but you hear quite often about how charismatic they are.

People are weird.
+ Jim Jones
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests