Worthwhile intertubez finds

JD

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 02 Jul 2018, 13:27

An interesting, longish piece about the Akwesasne Mohawk nation, which straddles the US-Canada border, making it kind of part of both and kind of part of neither. The very practical concerns of the residents about travel and education tie in with very high-level thoughts about what it actually means for something to be a nation or a state.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Jul 2018, 16:45

Yes, Hollywood Did Influence That Helicopter Jailbreak in France
French police have launched a manhunt for an infamous bandit who staged his second jailbreak in five years, a cinematic escape using a helicopter, buzz saws and automatic weapons.
In 2009, after serving 10 years behind bars for a series of armed robberies on banks, jewelers and armored vehicles, Mr. Faïd teamed up with a journalist to write a memoir. The book and his subsequent media tour on French TV channels earned him the nickname “L’Ecrivain,” or “The Writer,” among Paris police.

Mr. Faïd wrote that he modeled his criminal career on Hollywood movies. He cited Michael Mann’s 1995 movie “Heat” as a major influence and described Mr. Mann as his “best technical adviser.” Mr. Faïd said he posed a question to Mr. Mann in 2009 during an event the director attended in Paris to promote a film about bank robber John Dillinger.

“I explained to him how his movies could inspire young people,” Mr. Faïd wrote. “He was slightly embarrassed.”

“Thank you for that, I don’t know how to respond,” Mr. Mann said in a video of the exchange. A spokeswoman for Mr. Mann didn’t immediately have any comment.
France apparently also has a rather unique problem.
France’s prisons in recent decades have seen several escapes involving helicopters, most recently in 2009, leading officials to cover them with netting to thwart landings. The Réau prison, southeast of Paris, had netting over all but one courtyard—the one Mr. Faïd used to abscond.

JD

Post by JD » 02 Jul 2018, 17:52

Mr. Faïd wrote that he modeled his criminal career on Hollywood movies. He cited Michael Mann’s 1995 movie “Heat” as a major influence and described Mr. Mann as his “best technical adviser.”
Every time I hear of something like that, I wonder, "Didn't they notice that the robbers all end up dead?" Then again, a bad example can be useful too.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Jul 2018, 19:33

JD wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 17:52
Mr. Faïd wrote that he modeled his criminal career on Hollywood movies. He cited Michael Mann’s 1995 movie “Heat” as a major influence and described Mr. Mann as his “best technical adviser.”
Every time I hear of something like that, I wonder, "Didn't they notice that the robbers all end up dead?" Then again, a bad example can be useful too.
Yeah, I think the mental-fu is something along the lines of "but I won't make the same mistakes."

JD

Post by JD » 05 Jul 2018, 15:41

A really cool piece about research on axolotls, their genetics, and how they regenerate after losing limbs, damage to organs, etc.:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/axolotl- ... -20180702/

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jul 2018, 10:04

WTF white people.
Within the surveys they analyzed, social attitudes and media habits were almost as closely linked to race as consumer behavior was. The racial differences in social attitudes were particularly notable.

By a relatively large margin, the view that best predicted being white in 2016 was “approve of police striking citizens.” In previous decades, the best indicator of whiteness was saying that the government was spending the right amount (or too much) on improving the condition of black residents
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Jul 2018, 12:05

https://www.reddit.com/r/VXJunkies/

My new favorite daily drive-by. The Quick Guide For Beginners says it all. Posted for your Evul/Negligent Fisiks pleasure:
Hi everyone, and welcome to the new guys! Now I understand that the science here can get a bit hard to follow so I thought I'd just write a quick lexicon of the most common term for the beginners who might feel a bit lost. Feel free to add more definitions in the comments!

A word you might see often is "particle". A particle is simply a really, really small bit of matter, generally so small that it follows a set of mechanical rules called "quantum mechanics" (see below). Particles are pretty much the building blocks of the world around us, and there are many types of them!
Quantum mechanics are the rules of motion for small objects (typically, Röntgen attractor or smaller). They're quite complicated and I don't have the space to describe them here, but basically they describe how particles interact, through fields or hyperflux.
A hyperflux is quite simply a flux whose main dimension spirals inwards. If you've ever encountered an electric current that had an imaginary voltage, well, if you ran it through a cyclospin, you'd get an alternance of hyperflux and Moussorgski spin.
Moussorgski spin, not to be confused with Mossovski spin (which is just the vector field equivalent of a non-euclidian 3-brane fluid), is the main aftermath after the voynichian reaction between a magnifying quadritangent and the colloidal timespace you get when running a JX07 under calibrated ruby-quartz vibrosion.
Now I talked about voynichian reaction, but it's actually nothing more than a Kolsko-Miranov reaction where the stoechiometallic ionidization is upside down (by that I mean of course reverberated through an epsilon concave modulated space) and where the sprectrum readings on a x-y-x axis follow a 12, zeta 8, zeta zeta pattern, and the whole thing can be summarised as a canonical hermetic Bgodga force.
A force is an interaction between two objects that change their motion. This one is a bit subtler but if you can picture yourself pushing a crate, you're effectively creating a "force" on the crate!
So there you go, with those pointers that subreddit shouldn't look nearly as scary! I haven't covered much of course (Zyzyk sounding momentum comes to mind) but I'll let the good people of the sub complete the list.
A typical comment chain.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Jul 2018, 14:08

Mo wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 10:04
WTF white people.
That's so gross. Makes me want to pull a Rachel Dolezal just to get out of the group.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jul 2018, 14:33

Ellie wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:08
Mo wrote:
WTF white people.
That's so gross. Makes me want to pull a Rachel Dolezal just to get out of the group.
You have to be careful about the inference here though. I think this means (did not rtfa closely) "IF someone strongly agrees that police should strike citizens, that person is with high probability white". It does not imply that any appreciable percentage of total white people would agree with that statement.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 10 Jul 2018, 14:35

Statistics are hard, let's go shopping for bronzer.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jul 2018, 15:19

JasonL wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Mo wrote:
WTF white people.
You have to be careful about the inference here though. I think this means (did not rtfa closely) "IF someone strongly agrees that police should strike citizens, that person is with high probability white". It does not imply that any appreciable percentage of total white people would agree with that statement.
70% is a pretty appreciable percentage.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/sur ... g-citizens
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 Jul 2018, 15:21

Mo wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 15:19
JasonL wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Mo wrote:
WTF white people.

"Seven of 10 whites polled, or 70 percent, said they can imagine a situation in which they would approve of a police officer striking an adult male citizen, according to the 2014 General Social Survey, a long-running measurement of trends in American opinions."

I hate to say this, but I can imagine lots of situations where this is okay. Leading the charge would be an attempted gun grab on a holstered weapon. Yes punch that person.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Jul 2018, 17:37

JasonL wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 15:21
Mo wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 15:19
JasonL wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Mo wrote:
WTF white people.

"Seven of 10 whites polled, or 70 percent, said they can imagine a situation in which they would approve of a police officer striking an adult male citizen, according to the 2014 General Social Survey, a long-running measurement of trends in American opinions."

I hate to say this, but I can imagine lots of situations where this is okay. Leading the charge would be an attempted gun grab on a holstered weapon. Yes punch that person.
Yeah if that was the question I'm a little surprised percentage is so low. It may not be common situation but it exists.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jul 2018, 18:44

Dangerman wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 12:05

My new favorite daily drive-by. The Quick Guide For Beginners says it all. Posted for your Evul/Negligent Fisiks pleasure:
Hi everyone, and welcome to the new guys! Now I understand that the science here can get a bit hard to follow so I thought I'd just write a quick lexicon of the most common term for the beginners who might feel a bit lost. Feel free to add more definitions in the comments!

A word you might see often is "particle". A particle is simply a really, really small bit of matter, generally so small that it follows a set of mechanical rules called "quantum mechanics" (see below). Particles are pretty much the building blocks of the world around us, and there are many types of them!
Quantum mechanics are the rules of motion for small objects (typically, Röntgen attractor or smaller). They're quite complicated and I don't have the space to describe them here, but basically they describe how particles interact, through fields or hyperflux.
A hyperflux is quite simply a flux whose main dimension spirals inwards. If you've ever encountered an electric current that had an imaginary voltage, well, if you ran it through a cyclospin, you'd get an alternance of hyperflux and Moussorgski spin.
Moussorgski spin, not to be confused with Mossovski spin (which is just the vector field equivalent of a non-euclidian 3-brane fluid), is the main aftermath after the voynichian reaction between a magnifying quadritangent and the colloidal timespace you get when running a JX07 under calibrated ruby-quartz vibrosion.
Now I talked about voynichian reaction, but it's actually nothing more than a Kolsko-Miranov reaction where the stoechiometallic ionidization is upside down (by that I mean of course reverberated through an epsilon concave modulated space) and where the sprectrum readings on a x-y-x axis follow a 12, zeta 8, zeta zeta pattern, and the whole thing can be summarised as a canonical hermetic Bgodga force.
A force is an interaction between two objects that change their motion. This one is a bit subtler but if you can picture yourself pushing a crate, you're effectively creating a "force" on the crate!
So there you go, with those pointers that subreddit shouldn't look nearly as scary! I haven't covered much of course (Zyzyk sounding momentum comes to mind) but I'll let the good people of the sub complete the list.
A typical comment chain.
Is this subreddit supposed to be referencing something specific, or does it have no external referents at all?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jul 2018, 19:31

Painboy wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 19:33
JD wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 17:52
Yeah, I think the mental-fu is something along the lines of "but I won't make the same mistakes."
Forgetting all about things like stunt men, retakes and SFX (both practical and CGI.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Jul 2018, 20:28

Jadagul wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 18:44
Dangerman wrote:

A word you might see often is "particle"......
.....So there you go, with those pointers that subreddit shouldn't look nearly as scary! I haven't covered much of course (Zyzyk sounding momentum comes to mind) but I'll let the good people of the sub complete the list.
A typical comment chain.
Is this subreddit supposed to be referencing something specific, or does it have no external referents at all?
Nah it's an improv LARP. All original material.

EDIT: I just remembered that there is an old (eBaums-era or earlier) video that might have been the seed for this. It's like a 70's commercial for an IBM mainframe, but VX.

Also , *VX* should be always read/heard as spoken in haughty (you wouldn't understand it), or hushed (you fool, we agreed never to speak of that day) tones.

It's like SCP?
Last edited by Dangerman on 10 Jul 2018, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jul 2018, 20:30

Dangerman wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 20:28
Jadagul wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 18:44
Dangerman wrote:

A word you might see often is "particle"......
.....So there you go, with those pointers that subreddit shouldn't look nearly as scary! I haven't covered much of course (Zyzyk sounding momentum comes to mind) but I'll let the good people of the sub complete the list.
A typical comment chain.
Nah it's an improv LARP. All original material.
Ah, thanks. That was my guess, but I wasn't sure if there was some particular SF show or something they had started riffing off of.

(I'm not sure I would describe it as "Live Action" unless they meet up in person, though).

JD

Post by JD » 12 Jul 2018, 14:30

This is a crazy story that's almost hard to believe: Hunting the Con Queen of Hollywood: Who's the "Crazy Evil Genius" Behind a Global Racket?

Synopsis: Someone is impersonating major female Hollywood production figures and contacting photographers, hairstylists, stuntmen, military advisers, etc. with promises of work. It builds up into the mark having to lay out money for expenses up front, with the promise of being reimbursed (and paid) later. The really crazy thing is that the con artist seems to have done a great deal of research both into the people she's impersonating, down to imitating their speech patterns, and into the targets, and there are distinct suggestions that the con is tied into Indonesian organized crime.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Jul 2018, 14:38

Whoa! That sounds fascinating and bonkers.

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jul 2018, 12:06

On the topic of involved crime stories: Back in the 1990s, the McDonalds' Monopoly game was virtually impossible to win, because the management of the prize-marketing firm was systematically rigging the game by removing the high-value pieces and selling them to acquaintances. The story might have gotten more press had the trial not begun on September 10th, 2001...

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jul 2018, 12:11

I remember that story!

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jul 2018, 14:12

I like this take on "necessary" art:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/maga ... ssary.html
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jul 2018, 16:43

thoreau wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 14:12

Yeah that was a good article. I would also say it applies to necessary's close cousin "relevant."

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Jul 2018, 10:02

Painboy wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 16:43
thoreau wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 14:12

Yeah that was a good article. I would also say it applies to necessary's close cousin "relevant."
And it applies to science fiction novels and video games.
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Jul 2018, 10:47

Yah that's a good piece. For my own purposes I have an knee jerk negative correction I apply to works lauded as "necessary" "timely" or "relevant". It has always seemed to me that those labels were designed to make me ignore shortcomings to be part of good think and I find such things to be overrated.

I hate to say this as a white guy, I really do, but here's the deal - I am a person who is willing to engage in qualitative critiques of aesthetic enterprises - I don't think the cap'n crunch box is "just as good" as the Sistene Chapel. I also don't think if the cereal box reflected a direct appeal to a marginalized group it would be any closer to the Sistene Chapel qualitatively speaking. The corrective here is to expand our exposure to the works of marginalized parties so we can find the great voices, eyes and ears among them - not so we can act like they are all great just because they exist.