Fly the Friendly Skies...

Discuss H&R posts and other Reason articles here.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24425
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 15 Jun 2018, 15:36

tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 15:01
Warren wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:55
tr0g wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 11:51
There's nothing like being strapped in on an Air Force plane when the crew chief comes back and climbs over you to start pulling avionics boxes off the wall. At that point, you start thinking the option to exit the aircraft in flight is looking pretty good.
They didn't issue parachutes.
That's because you were never dumb motivated enough to go to jump school and get on airborne status.
That's not really a thing in the Navy. We use jarheads for that sort of work.
I suspect SEALs will sometimes jump out of perfectly good aircraft. They might not need a parachute though. I think they can fly by flapping their arms. I'm not sure it that's part of their training or not. They don't talk about it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1498
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Kwix » 19 Jun 2018, 20:14

dhex wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:43
i'd be more amenable to the concept of pay by volume if they extended the seat spacing so i could put my feet down flat in most cases.

(newer southwest planes are much better on this but only in those door adjacent rows in the middle.)
A few years ago Alaska Air redesigned it's seats to increase spacing in order squeeze an extra row in . Somehow they also managed to offer a block of Coach Plus (upgrade seats) on almost all flights. That extra 4" plus the redesigned seats with a knee well and seat backs that are separate of the table mean that as a 6' dude I can not only put my feet on the floor but also cross my legs if the person next to me is friendly. The downside is they outsourced foam production to the cheapest bidder and a lot of it is already dying.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24425
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 19 Jun 2018, 20:21

Kwix wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 20:14
dhex wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:43
i'd be more amenable to the concept of pay by volume if they extended the seat spacing so i could put my feet down flat in most cases.

(newer southwest planes are much better on this but only in those door adjacent rows in the middle.)
A few years ago Alaska Air redesigned it's seats to increase spacing in order squeeze an extra row in . Somehow they also managed to offer a block of Coach Plus (upgrade seats) on almost all flights. That extra 4" plus the redesigned seats with a knee well and seat backs that are separate of the table mean that as a 6' dude I can not only put my feet on the floor but also cross my legs if the person next to me is friendly. The downside is they outsourced foam production to the cheapest bidder and a lot of it is already dying.
Carry-on reccomendation
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman
Posts: 6239
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Dangerman » 20 Jun 2018, 10:48

Instead of complying with severely limited carry-on requirements, I'm going to wear a huge overcoat and rig all my belongings to the inside, maximizing my personal space, creating a physical barrier against my neighbors, and allowing extra room for souvenirs in my bag on the way home.

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2857
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Jasper » 20 Jun 2018, 13:00

Dangerman wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 10:48
Instead of complying with severely limited carry-on requirements, I'm going to wear a huge overcoat and rig all my belongings to the inside, maximizing my personal space, creating a physical barrier against my neighbors, and allowing extra room for souvenirs in my bag on the way home.
I remember seeing a Kickstarter about a jacket or vest that was essentially a Coat of Many Pockets, designed so you fit all kinds of EDC gear in it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24425
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2018, 14:13

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12340
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jun 2018, 19:19

Maybe a decade ago, I read a blog post by someone who frequently used a tactical pouch belt, the sort you can unclip, run through an x-ray, then clip back on, for both everyday use and air travel. At least at the time, it didn't count as luggage, and so it was a handy way to carry a load of things on what amounted to a Batman-style utility belt. It was not a subtle look, but it wasn't as bad as wearing a fanny pack.

The writer did, sensibly, recommend using terms like "utility belt" rather than "tactical belt" to TSA agents. Sadly, I can't remember where I read this, or I'd point to the exact product.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6676
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by tr0g » 20 Jun 2018, 22:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 19:19
Maybe a decade ago, I read a blog post by someone who frequently used a tactical pouch belt, the sort you can unclip, run through an x-ray, then clip back on, for both everyday use and air travel. At least at the time, it didn't count as luggage, and so it was a handy way to carry a load of things on what amounted to a Batman-style utility belt. It was not a subtle look, but it wasn't as bad as wearing a fanny pack.

The writer did, sensibly, recommend using terms like "utility belt" rather than "tactical belt" to TSA agents. Sadly, I can't remember where I read this, or I'd point to the exact product.
I think it was Bunny Huang, so maybe it's on his blog.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 12340
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Eric the .5b » 20 Jun 2018, 23:01

tr0g wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 22:54
I think it was Bunny Huang, so maybe it's on his blog.
I don't see it there, but I also think the poster was a skinny white guy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

User avatar
Jasper
Posts: 2857
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 07:56
Location: Newyorkachusetts

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Jasper » 21 Jun 2018, 12:57

Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:13
Boom
Yes, that's the one! For some reason, I thought it was a KS project.

Good Google-fu, Warren.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6676
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by tr0g » 21 Jun 2018, 14:38

I don't see any way how a vest (or jacket) with 25 pockets full of stuff doesn't end up making me look lumpier and fatter than I already am.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Dangerman
Posts: 6239
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Dangerman » 22 Jun 2018, 09:36

They aren't called 'beauty vests'.

I used to rock a milsurp 6x10" canvas shoulder/belt pouch for those kinds of occasions. More pockets in a garment isn't really the answer unless the question is "Am I a fly fisherman?".

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6676
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by tr0g » 22 Jun 2018, 11:09

Eric the .5b wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 23:01
tr0g wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 22:54
I think it was Bunny Huang, so maybe it's on his blog.
I don't see it there, but I also think the poster was a skinny white guy.
I could swear I saw it in Make, but a couple of searches through the online archives didn't turn anything up. Maybe it was in the print mag.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10330
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by JD » 30 Jul 2018, 15:59

The TSA has launched a program called "Quiet Skies", which tracks specific air travelers because...well, I'm not sure why, actually.
The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is facing criticism for secretly tracking Americans on flights, US media report.

The "Quiet Skies" programme reportedly uses an unknown algorithm to flag flyers without any criminal record for surveillance on domestic flights.
...
Under "Quiet Skies", federal air marshals have been shadowing travellers on their flights and reporting any suspicious behaviour to TSA, the Boston Globe first reported on Sunday.

These travellers - who are in some cases American citizens - are not part of terrorist screening databases nor are they suspected of any wrongdoings, according to the newspaper.
...
The programme first uses an algorithm to analyse a passenger's travel pattern and any potential affiliations, according to US media.

Officials then look at the data and determine whether the passenger should be observed by air marshals.

"The purpose of this programme is to ensure passengers and flight crew are protected during air travel," TSA said in a statement to the BBC.

"The programme doesn't take into account race and religion, and it is not intended to surveil ordinary Americans."
So as far as I can tell, either they're following random people for no apparent reason, or they think they have some magic algorithm that will help them identify potential terrorists who haven't been identified any other way.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24425
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 30 Jul 2018, 19:42

JD wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 15:59
The TSA has launched a program called "Quiet Skies", which tracks specific air travelers because...well, I'm not sure why, actually.
The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is facing criticism for secretly tracking Americans on flights, US media report.

The "Quiet Skies" programme reportedly uses an unknown algorithm to flag flyers without any criminal record for surveillance on domestic flights.
...
Under "Quiet Skies", federal air marshals have been shadowing travellers on their flights and reporting any suspicious behaviour to TSA, the Boston Globe first reported on Sunday.

These travellers - who are in some cases American citizens - are not part of terrorist screening databases nor are they suspected of any wrongdoings, according to the newspaper.
...
The programme first uses an algorithm to analyse a passenger's travel pattern and any potential affiliations, according to US media.

Officials then look at the data and determine whether the passenger should be observed by air marshals.

"The purpose of this programme is to ensure passengers and flight crew are protected during air travel," TSA said in a statement to the BBC.

"The programme doesn't take into account race and religion, and it is not intended to surveil ordinary Americans."
So as far as I can tell, either they're following random people for no apparent reason, or they think they have some magic algorithm that will help them identify potential terrorists who haven't been identified any other way.
Or they just need to protect their phony baloney jobs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14514
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Aresen » 31 Jul 2018, 00:14

JD wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 15:59
The TSA has launched a program called "Quiet Skies", which tracks specific air travelers because...well, I'm not sure why, actually.
The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is facing criticism for secretly tracking Americans on flights, US media report.

The "Quiet Skies" programme reportedly uses an unknown algorithm to flag flyers without any criminal record for surveillance on domestic flights.
...
Under "Quiet Skies", federal air marshals have been shadowing travellers on their flights and reporting any suspicious behaviour to TSA, the Boston Globe first reported on Sunday.

These travellers - who are in some cases American citizens - are not part of terrorist screening databases nor are they suspected of any wrongdoings, according to the newspaper.
...
The programme first uses an algorithm to analyse a passenger's travel pattern and any potential affiliations, according to US media.

Officials then look at the data and determine whether the passenger should be observed by air marshals.

"The purpose of this programme is to ensure passengers and flight crew are protected during air travel," TSA said in a statement to the BBC.

"The programme doesn't take into account race and religion, and it is not intended to surveil ordinary Americans."
So as far as I can tell, either they're following random people for no apparent reason, or they think they have some magic algorithm that will help them identify potential terrorists who haven't been identified any other way.
Excess melanin (but not too much excess) and indications of reluctance to respekt authoritah.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Dangerman
Posts: 6239
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Dangerman » 05 Aug 2018, 11:21

Threat matrices. It took a while to find this essay, but it's worth the read.

https://kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2 ... ul-revere/

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22546
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by JasonL » 06 Aug 2018, 11:31

There is almost nothing that’s important to me but people care less about than the 4th amendment. It has no constituency.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24425
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2018, 19:20

JasonL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:31
There is almost nothing that’s important to me but people care less about than the 4th amendment. It has no constituency.
Testify.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2591
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Jake » 06 Aug 2018, 19:40

Warren wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 19:20
Testify.
No, no... that's the Fifth. ;)
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24425
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2018, 19:46

Jake wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 19:40
Warren wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 19:20
Testify.
No, no... that's the Fifth. ;)
heh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 952
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Oct 2018, 15:31

I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14514
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Aresen » 14 Oct 2018, 15:38

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 15:31
I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.
Obviously an opportunity to hire more cop rejects.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Kwix
Posts: 1498
Joined: 17 May 2010, 22:07
Location: Great White North

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Kwix » 15 Oct 2018, 01:24

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 15:31
I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.
I almost always avoid the porno-scanner. TSA doesn't like me but they do a thorough pat down.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23026
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Fly the Friendly Skies...

Post by Mo » 15 Oct 2018, 05:55

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 15:31
I think we might have finally reached pre-checkception. Over time I've noticed the lines getting longer and longer and flying today the TSA pre-check line was longer than the regular line. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted and at least you avoid the porno-scanner.
Longer, but faster
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest