OFFS: The Forsakening

dhex

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by dhex » 07 Jun 2018, 14:40

it's fucking garbage. fuck them.

i can't even interpretive dance how fucking furious i'd be with the school and the company if that shit happened here.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 07 Jun 2018, 16:36

There was a local Facebook panic the other day because one of the nearby schools went on lockdown. Post was made by a mother who got the text notification and she relayed the story of being understandable frightened and texting her 11 year old kid who was gave the account of being herded to the far corner of the classroom, door locked, the blinds drawn, kids crying, trying to stay quiet, and fearing they were about to be killed. Truly, truly awful, traumatic stuff, for both the kid(s) and the parents.

The thread eventually indicated that is was because of an unknown person on campus, and there was a lot of pearl clutching about how terrible it is to live this way and how terrible it is for kids to have to be prepared for these events, etc.

And I couldn't help but think to myself that we've done this to ourselves, basically because of decades of 24-hr, news cycles sowing fear into helicopter parents who then demand planned responses to every perceived threat.

You don't have to go on lockdown becasue there's an unknown person on campus. You could, y'know, actually go out and see who it is.

So don't wring your hands that it's terrible we have to live this way and subject your kids to the trauma of lockdown and thinking every stranger is out to kill them. You fucking asked for it.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jun 2018, 16:40

I have tried to convince friends that there is less danger now than ever, but the hype is so bad that the only response I get is incredulous looks. I can't even convince them of the psychological damage they are inflicting on the children through over-reactions.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Jun 2018, 17:27

Aresen wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 16:40
I have tried to convince friends that there is less danger now than ever, but the hype is so bad that the only response I get is incredulous looks. I can't even convince them of the psychological damage they are inflicting on the children through over-reactions.
It's a mean world out there, and pretty much everyone in the political mainstream is gleefully making it so.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 13 Jun 2018, 07:03

I've never eaten at chick fillet because of their owners public utterances. But I also know gay folk who love it.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 09:22

The thing about the mean world take is it presumes people invoking these things actually believe in the mean world. They don't. They just like being able to act like everything they dislike is actually in real life a threat so they can use social sanction, policy or even law to get their way.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 13 Jun 2018, 10:09

dhex wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 07:03
I've never eaten at chick fillet because of their owners public utterances. But I also know gay folk who love it.
A gay friend of mine (not coincidentally, from Georgia) refers to it as Bigot Chicken but won't stop eating there.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Jun 2018, 11:27

I ate there once or twice before all the bigot stuff became public, and I don't get the loyalty it inspires. I mean, I get it for the culture war stuff, but I don't get why people go nuts for the chicken. It's good, but it's not like biting into it is like getting a molly-fueled double-blow.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 11:34

Shem wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:27
I ate there once or twice before all the bigot stuff became public, and I don't get the loyalty it inspires. I mean, I get it for the culture war stuff, but I don't get why people go nuts for the chicken. It's good, but it's not like biting into it is like getting a molly-fueled double-blow.
Agreed. The chicken is above average fast food, but still firmly in the fast food range. Those waffle fries though. They could easily score well in casual dining.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Jun 2018, 11:39

I'd go gay for those waffle fries. Or straight. Whatever. I'd suck something.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 13 Jun 2018, 12:08

JasonL wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 09:22
The thing about the mean world take is it presumes people invoking these things actually believe in the mean world. They don't. They just like being able to act like everything they dislike is actually in real life a threat so they can use social sanction, policy or even law to get their way.
On what basis do you say they don't actually believe it?

I suppose one might claim that their actions don't consistently follow through on said belief, though I'm skeptical that that's a valid way to measure such things. I mean, it's one potentially worthwhile observation to make, but it hardly proves the claim in question.

(Disclaimer: certainly not defending such belief, just questioning why you're so sure it's not even real.)
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Jun 2018, 12:16

Ellie wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:39
Our Ellie has mastered the single entendre. I'm so proud.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Jun 2018, 12:27

Shem wrote:
This. It's good, but not Popeye's good and even Popeye's doesn't warrant CfA level loyalty. Also, fuck you for not being open when I'm hung over on a Sunday.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Jun 2018, 12:31

Shem wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 12:16
Ellie wrote:
Our Ellie has mastered the single entendre. I'm so proud.
I'm laughing so hard at my desk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jun 2018, 12:42

ChikFilA wins on consistently being 5/5 as expected on their staples.

As far as Kultur War, I encourage everyone to not make themselves responsible for other people's actions. There is a 100 percent chance that you are buying products from people who have politics you don't like. That's ok.

Highway

Post by Highway » 13 Jun 2018, 12:52

Mo wrote:
Shem wrote:
This. It's good, but not Popeye's good and even Popeye's doesn't warrant CfA level loyalty. Also, fuck you for not being open when I'm hung over on a Sunday.
Popeyes is good, but is different food from CfA for me. Piece chicken is totally different from chicken sandwiches. And Popeyes here always gives people the runs, so we don't go there anymore.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jun 2018, 12:54

fyodor wrote:
JasonL wrote:

I suppose one might claim that their actions don't consistently follow through on said belief, though I'm skeptical that that's a valid way to measure such things. I mean, it's one potentially worthwhile observation to make, but it hardly proves the claim in question.

(Disclaimer: certainly not defending such belief, just questioning why you're so sure it's not even real.)
I start with the observation that these fears as stated are fundamentally ungrounded and unreasonable. The presence of trump signs on your campus under any empirical approach does not relate to any increase in risk of harm. None. Can’t show it in any way shape or form. So you are at the top line making an absurd claim. You are either retarded or calculating when you do so.

I look at the mechanisms of social justice - how does it work. Well - it demands acceptance of an oppressor/oppressed narrative for starters. It seeks to control allowable discussion. It seeks to silence and shame the impure. It works by suggesting my team gets to say anything whatsoever but your teams words are bullets. So - either I accept that people legitimately concerned about harm are being consistent when they do that or I observe that the words are billets thing is used to exercise this kind of control.

I watch Evergreen students I listen to complaints about Halloween costumes - Fyodor nobody actually believes a harm story there. The correspondence to religious purges is much closer to the observed behavior.

They can’t be that stupid.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jun 2018, 12:59

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 12:42
There is a 100 percent chance that you are buying products from people who have politics you don't like. That's ok.
Yes, you don't need to concern yourself with whether or not your dry cleaners are Nazis. But it's different if they put swastikas in their windows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 13 Jun 2018, 13:22

JasonL wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 12:54
fyodor wrote:
JasonL wrote:

I start with the observation that these fears as stated are fundamentally ungrounded and unreasonable. The presence of trump signs on your campus under any empirical approach does not relate to any increase in risk of harm. None. Can’t show it in any way shape or form. So you are at the top line making an absurd claim. You are either retarded or calculating when you do so.

I look at the mechanisms of social justice - how does it work. Well - it demands acceptance of an oppressor/oppressed narrative for starters. It seeks to control allowable discussion. It seeks to silence and shame the impure. It works by suggesting my team gets to say anything whatsoever but your teams words are bullets. So - either I accept that people legitimately concerned about harm are being consistent when they do that or I observe that the words are billets thing is used to exercise this kind of control.

I watch Evergreen students I listen to complaints about Halloween costumes - Fyodor nobody actually believes a harm story there. The correspondence to religious purges is much closer to the observed behavior.

They can’t be that stupid.
Hmm, okay.

My reply is simply, of course they can. People believe absurd and absurder things all the time.

The fact that believing such things gives them fodder for control over others may very likely play a role in their internal rationalizations, but it hardly creates an either/or choice regarding how to understand their "true" motivation.

But anyway, thanks for answering my curiosity.

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 13 Jun 2018, 13:27

Warren wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 12:59
Dangerman wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 12:42
There is a 100 percent chance that you are buying products from people who have politics you don't like. That's ok.
Yes, you don't need to concern yourself with whether or not your dry cleaners are Nazis. But it's different if they put swastikas in their windows.
Score one for peace frog!

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jun 2018, 13:57

One person giving money to a political campaign is not the same as putting a God Hates Fags sign in each franchise.

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Jun 2018, 14:20

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 13:57
One person giving money to a political campaign is not the same as putting a God Hates Fags sign in each franchise.
Dude, they gave money to people who pushed the "death penalty for gays" law in Uganda. As well as conversion camps here at home. This isn't political donations we're talking about.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Jun 2018, 14:22

The Chik Fil A nearest me is scary efficient during the lunch and saturday family shopping rushes.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Jun 2018, 14:26

Ellie wrote:
Team Ellie
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul