Gentry from the block

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Gentry from the block

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 May 2018, 20:55

Jadagul wrote:
06 May 2018, 18:03
Houston's no-zoning is somewhat exaggerated; it does have things like parking minima and building setback requirements. It would be very illegal to build Manhattan-style there.

But Houston is also a weird comparison because land isn't as scarce there as it is in much of the coast, and also it just isn't as pricey there. The thing I think we mostly agree on is that building skyscrapers when land and housing are cheap and abundant is usually silly.

DAR: In most of DC, there are local zoning restrictions that are actually substantially tighter than the federal city-wide limit.
But not having to do with building height, per se. That's to say that anyone wanting to build high-rise condominiums along Foxhall Road or Capitol Hill will never get permits and zoning waivers while putting up the same building anywhere in Anacostia will be a comparative snap.

nicole

Post by nicole » Today, 16:27

New proposal here in Chicago from Rahm:
The mayor wants to create the Chicago Opportunity Investment Fund, which would provide low-interest loans to developers who buy multifamily buildings in high-cost neighborhoods. Those loans will come with a caveat: 20 percent of the apartments must be priced affordably for at least 15 years.
https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/ch ... 2d50f7608e
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 47 minutes ago

My sister could have written that proposal.