The Techno-Bleg Thread

Highway

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by Highway » 03 Mar 2018, 10:46

Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 10:34
There's a school of thought that you should enjoy the experience directly and take only the memory with you, and that the act of taking pictures diminishes that experience. Depends on whether you're there to enjoy the experience or to enjoy telling other people about the experience when you get back home.
I've ended up kinda here, mostly because I realize that I never ever look at pictures I've taken. And I've realized that the act of taking pictures always takes the focus away from the experience and puts it on thinking about how to take pictures. Even if you've set up the camera beforehand, you're still thinking "Did I get the settings right? Are the pictures good? Is it working?"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 03 Mar 2018, 11:42

I like photos as long as I don't have to stop doing whatever I'm doing to pose, and I don't have to smile. I look like a Bobs Burgers character when I put on a smile for photos.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 03 Mar 2018, 13:31

I have an atrocious memory, even for big life events. Taking pictures and looking at them later helps me remember so many more things than I otherwise would.*

That said, I do notice that the act of taking pictures takes me "out" of the experience quite a bit. So sometimes I will choose to stay in the moment and take no pictures, even though I know it means I probably won't remember the moment later.

* In the really excellent book Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things, the authors note that one of the myriad reasons people hoard is because they really do "file" memories differently than the average person. E.g., they genuinely forget they own something if it's put in a closet or box, so they try (with miserable results) to keep everything out in the open. Or one subject who hoarded business cards, and just seeing the card would trigger a flood of information about that person that he couldn't otherwise recall. I seem to have a similar thing with photos.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Mar 2018, 13:41

Pictures take me back to the feeling of being there. Like a memory index card or something. I do not want to be full DSLR multi lens guy I don’t think, but there are places I’ve been where I really felt like the pics due to technical/skill constraints couldn’t capture anything like the actual feeling of the place.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Mar 2018, 16:11

I've carried a decent point and shoot camera for all my long hikes. I've rarely taken photos of people (no one has to pose or smile that way) and instead focus on landscapes and cool random natural things (flowers, trees, animals, mushrooms, etc.). I look at my photos every few months when life sucks and I want to think about being outdoors and away from it all. With the photos, my daily notes, and a map, I can almost completely recreate my experience for each day.

It is very much worth the extra weight and dealing with keeping batteries charged. To the extent it takes me out of the moment, it's paying me back with 10x better memories.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Mar 2018, 17:27

There isn't a universal truth here. If one actually looks at the pictures and remembers things, and enjoys that, I think that's just fine. I've found that I personally don't *and* the act of taking photos / videos effectively ruins whatever it is I'm doing. So for me, it's a lot of hassle and effort and compromising what I was actually wanting to do, with zero benefit.

But the reason I say it in conversations is because there are plenty of "You have to take pictures of your vacation / event / experience so you'll remember it later! And if you're not, you're doing it wrong!" people. I think everyone can find the way that they like to do it, and screw anyone who says "You're doing it wrong!" (about pretty much anything).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Mar 2018, 17:51

I have to remember to take pictures. When I do, I take pictures when I can take my time about it. Like I'm looking at some vast vista, take out the camera, click click, put the camera away and forget about it. If I'm taking pictures of people, It's when nothing is happening and they pose for them. Otherwise I'm focused on what's going on. If I tried to take action shots, I'd miss out on the action. Having a picture taken at the hotel it good enough for me to remember the whole vacation. I don't need pics of the street performers. Too bad for my Facebook friends, but better for me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Mar 2018, 12:22

Warren wrote:
03 Mar 2018, 10:34
There's a school of thought that you should enjoy the experience directly and take only the memory with you, and that the act of taking pictures diminishes that experience. Depends on whether you're there to enjoy the experience or to enjoy telling other people about the experience when you get back home.
Not to mention the quality of your memory and the usefulness of photos in jogging or correcting same. If I recall, no irony intended, we remember memories, not original events, the result being increasing error as, e.g., memory 2000 of that party you went to in the 80s is more a memory of memory 1999, which was a memory of memory 1998, etc.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Mar 2018, 12:24

Small techno-bleg question: anyone ever had the problem and found the solution to Firefox bookmark icons somehow mysteriously being assigned to the wrong bookmarks? My bookmark toolbar tab for grylliade somehow wound up with the Facebook blue square "f" icon and I'll be damned if I can figure out how or why or how to fix it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2018, 13:01

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
04 Mar 2018, 12:24
Small techno-bleg question: anyone ever had the problem and found the solution to Firefox bookmark icons somehow mysteriously being assigned to the wrong bookmarks? My bookmark toolbar tab for grylliade somehow wound up with the Facebook blue square "f" icon and I'll be damned if I can figure out how or why or how to fix it.
I have had my icons reset to default but never miss assigned, as you describe. I never figured out why and eventually they fixed themselves.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2018, 14:14

I was wondering if grylliade does not have a favicon set, so it tends to pick up icons from something else. I've had it be twitter, Slate, Racer.com, and a plain page.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Mar 2018, 15:15

Are the icons/favicons stored in a separate file or are they imbedded somehow in the bookmarks?

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Mar 2018, 16:18

Actually they're sent from the site. I think they are then probably stored on your computer as part of the favorite. But I don't really know much about the specifics. I just know that grylliade as a site doesn't have a favicon.

Jake

Post by Jake » 04 Mar 2018, 22:03

I use Chrome, and I've often had Grylliade's tab show up with the AT&T death star logo. No idea why.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Mar 2018, 16:19

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 05 Mar 2018, 16:26

No luck for me on Firefox. Still showing the Racer.com icon for grylliade.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Mar 2018, 10:30

I am become camera guy. Sony a6300 mirrorless with 16-50mm and 55-210mm kit lenses. It's really a nice size for a "real" camera.

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2018, 09:59

JasonL wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 10:30
I am become camera guy. Sony a6300 mirrorless with 16-50mm and 55-210mm kit lenses. It's really a nice size for a "real" camera.
To what end? Or are you just like Japanese camera guys?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Mar 2018, 19:59

I can't get pics of icelandarian things I want to take pics of with my iphone.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Apr 2018, 00:11

Not sure if I'm asking the impossible here but is there a way to scrub out unwanted sounds from an audio track? Specifically I want to lift a section of soundtrack from a movie but remove as much of the other sounds that overlap it that I can. I've done some minor audio editing by chopping up tracks and connecting them together seamlessly but I'm not sure how much more involved actually removing sounds is or if it's even possible without access to the separated tracks.

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Apr 2018, 08:23

If the soundtrack is available to buy, you're almost certainly better off just buying it and using that. If it's not available, then you're really limited. If the other sounds are mixed to the center, there are some processors that can mostly remove sounds that are in the center, leaving what's left in either side (mostly used for karaoke). But unless it's something like that, I think it gets really really tough, if not impossible. dhex or Sandy might know more about it.

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Apr 2018, 09:12

tldr is that it's a pain in the ass and won't be very clean regardless. you can phase invert the track but that also depends on how it was mixed and what's in the center of both.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Apr 2018, 11:28

Yeah the soundtrack doesn't exist. I definitely would have gone that route if it were possible.

From what it sounds like it would be a lot of work for something pretty lo-fi. Oh well.