It's not the size of the screen...

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: It's not the size of the screen...

Post by JD » 02 Apr 2018, 15:33

Jean Claude Van Johnson was pretty amusing, and it's good to see that JCVD doesn't take himself too seriously. I loved the bit where he's trying to outwit the guy who looks just like him:
"I'm you from the future."
"If you're really me from the future, which movie did I think was better, Looper or Timecop?"
"Uh...Looper?"
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Apr 2018, 21:39

Altered Carbon just keeps getting darker and more upsetting and I'm not sure if I have the backbone to make it to the end of the show ...
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Apr 2018, 21:49

Ellie wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 21:39
Altered Carbon just keeps getting darker and more upsetting and I'm not sure if I have the backbone to make it to the end of the show ...
They should have named it Game of Clones.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Apr 2018, 11:23

What is it with Netflix original series and child murder? At least they didn't fully show the corpses, so ... progress?

Come on, Netflix. Jeez.

Also, thanks for killing off [redacted to avoid spoilers], you assholes.

Anyway, overall, I recommend Altered Carbon if you like dark and futuristic and did I mention dark, but that third act is quite a mess in terms of plot and motivations.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Apr 2018, 11:49

Just finished Season 1 of The Santa Clarita Diet. It takes a few episodes to find its rhythm. but then it gets quite good and funny. Also, Timothy Olyphant is a total cutie patootie in this show.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Apr 2018, 12:04

Season two starts out good, then goes farther and farther down the road of "How much of a sitcom parody can we be before these people are just obviously actors saying things because that is the most ridiculous thing a person could say in that scenario?"
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Apr 2018, 16:29

Trading Spaces is back!
The first episode was preceded by half of a reunion show (we get the second half next Saturday) which was pretty cool. The gang really seemed to be happy to be together again. Even those that went on to do bigger and better things, said that the show was uniquely good at what it accomplished. Highlight: The little one year old girl Frank painted on the wall is now a teenager and they brought her out.

To help welcome back the show, TLC has been rerunning original episodes. What surprised me is how well they hold up. TS was the home renovation show that started it all (actually it was a British import) but the shows today are whole house renos with budgets in the hundreds of thousands. And everything is stone countertops, stainless steel appliances, and overpriced tile. By contrast TS with its 'one room, two days, and one thousand dollars' is much closer to home improvement and less made for TV. If you're wanting to upgrade your standard of living, binge watching a half dozen episodes of TS will almost certainly provide some great inspiration.

I remember some people not caring for Frank, but I was usually impressed with his work. He always worked well with his team. Vern's rooms still pack much wow factor. I remember reading that he didn't actually leave for the night and stayed on helping to work through the night. Also, all the designers stretched their budgets with "Trading Spaces discounts", i.e. haggling with merchants for special discounts. Lauri and Genevieve could usually be counted on to deliver something appreciated by the home owners. The maddening thing about Doug, was that he sometimes really came through. So you know he could if he wanted to. But more often than not, he wanted to play and do something fun for himself with no thought whatsoever for the people that had to live with it. And then there's Hildi the Hideous. My God. I remember her being horrible, but I don't think I realized just how horrible she was. At her very best, you could redo the room at a minimal expense, but way too often she put shit on the walls. Like literally affixing garbage to the walls. And her taste is informed by the worst of conceited New York art scene.

SPOILERS
The show hasn't changed much. The budget has been doubled to two thousand which is probably right in line with inflation. Each team now has their own carpenter, which is a good idea. I hope they get some better pieces made out of better wood than MDF. Lowe's sponsorship is prominently displayed in the carpenter area. And a new gimmick has the team members picking out "one item that the designer must put in the room" from a collection of Mayfair ware.

Why oh why did they use Doug and Hildi for the first new episode? WHY? What couple of A-Holes. Doug put burlap on the walls, and you know, if he could channel Vern's inner OCD and get that shit just so, I think I'd really dig it. A little texture on the walls is a plus in my book. The poo-brown ceiling is another matter.

Over in Hildihell, things are not as bad as they could be. She's only painting her monstrosity "'art"' on the walls. And the ceiling too of course. Her team put up a good fight trying to rein it in, but to no avail. At least there were no screws, nails, or staples that would require a complete gut job to undo the damage. Just another couple coats of paint will put an end to the screaming. She covers one wall with mirrors, which I don't hate. And she ordered a Murphy Bed to be made by the carpenter on the cheap. Which means it weighs a ton and requires two strong men to put it away.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Apr 2018, 18:42

Ugly delicious is good if you like/tolerate David Chang and not very much so I f you don't.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Apr 2018, 21:19

thoreau wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 12:04
Season two starts out good, then goes farther and farther down the road of "How much of a sitcom parody can we be before these people are just obviously actors saying things because that is the most ridiculous thing a person could say in that scenario?"
That's disappointing. I'm a little way into season 2 now and I have to admit I'm disliking the talking head storyline.

I did love that they specifically called out the way Joel and Sheila were saying "real-a-tors." That drove me BANANAS. (It is weird to hear Jules from Psych talking foul-mouthed smack, though!)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Apr 2018, 21:53

I'm just up to the episode of Justified where Olyphant makes a reel-la-tor / reel-la-ter joke.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Apr 2018, 16:22

Kolohe, your comment reminded me that I needed to dive back into that show -- and then I found myself once again getting distracted musing on the economics of Audry's (the house of ill repute, or whatever the modern polite term is). It doesn't seem like there are enough people in Harlan County to fund a large staff of sex workers, but then if there are only a few women working, it doesn't seem like anyone would want to patronize the establishment because they'd know they're having sex with the same woman as, like, five of their friends or co-workers or cousins. Or maybe that's not the big deal I think it is? I can't claim a lot of insight into the mind of the cis hetero rural Southern white man frequenting prostitutes.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Apr 2018, 18:28

I don't think I'm up to that point, but the entire town seems a lot more demographically dynamic than the typical town in that part of Appalachia ie there's way too many people between the ages of 25 to 45.

(Though maybe my view is warped from living at the bottom of the birthrate trough in a stagnant southern city at the turn of the century.)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Apr 2018, 21:06

Somewhat spoiler-y for Season 5 comment follows.

Unlikeable blonde white woman goes to the penitentiary? If Justified is going to be ripping off Orange is the New Black, I'm hoping for some cute lesbian actresses to show up soon.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Apr 2018, 21:09

I do appreciate that her haircut actually looks choppy and is obviously uneven in the back. One of my pet peeves about TV is when a character gives themselves a haircut (especially with tiny nail scissors or some similarly awkward implement) and then in the next scene shows up looking like they just walked out of a Vidal Sassoon.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Apr 2018, 21:37

Ellie wrote:
27 Nov 2016, 23:38
I really like the show The Flash overall, and enjoyed a fair amount of the second season, but holy balls was the "Barry stuck in the speed force" episode terrible. So, so bad.
I was reading through old posts on this thread and I found this and I can't even remember that episode! This is really funny to me for some reason. :lol:

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Apr 2018, 03:50

Ellie wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 16:22
Kolohe, your comment reminded me that I needed to dive back into that show -- and then I found myself once again getting distracted musing on the economics of Audry's (the house of ill repute, or whatever the modern polite term is). It doesn't seem like there are enough people in Harlan County to fund a large staff of sex workers, but then if there are only a few women working, it doesn't seem like anyone would want to patronize the establishment because they'd know they're having sex with the same woman as, like, five of their friends or co-workers or cousins. Or maybe that's not the big deal I think it is? I can't claim a lot of insight into the mind of the cis hetero rural Southern white man frequenting prostitutes.
I think the slang term "town pump" gives some insight into the small town hetero male's point of view. Having three or more available women is probably seen as an embarrassment of riches.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2018, 10:52

Ellie wrote:
...but then if there are only a few women working, it doesn't seem like anyone would want to patronize the establishment because they'd know they're having sex with the same woman as, like, five of their friends or co-workers or cousins. Or maybe that's not the big deal I think it is? I can't claim a lot of insight into the mind of the cis hetero rural Southern white man frequenting prostitutes.
LOL I can't speak for all patrons of the world's oldest profession, but I think it's safe to say that isn't a concern of theirs even beyond the worst of all possible modifier combination people.
I would say either the thought of how many dicks she's had in her is what does it for you, or you just don't think about it. Who they belonged to would seem besides the point. Although sometimes it is the point. Sharing a prostitute can be a male bonding experience.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Apr 2018, 19:50

New season of The Expanse
Mmmm still full of sci-fi goodness. Great episode. The UN Secretary and the Martian Defector are my favorite characters. They make a good team too.

MINI SPOILER
Hey! It's The Razorback. Cool!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 15 Apr 2018, 19:55

Planet earth 2 is pretty.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Apr 2018, 20:16

Warren wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:50
New season of The Expanse
Mmmm still full of sci-fi goodness. Great episode. The UN Secretary and the Martian Defector are my favorite characters. They make a good team too.

MINI SPOILER
Hey! It's The Razorback. Cool!
On paper, I should be absolutely gaga for The Expanse -- and yet I can't seem to get into it at all. Jeff watches it and I still give it the old college try, but -- nope.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Apr 2018, 20:38

I love it. And Legion!!!

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Apr 2018, 22:10

Not that anyone really wanted a contemporary clone of Lost In Space, but we start with the problem that the 'reboot' isn't Lost In Space. I was ready to write it off after three episodes, but I let it run into the fourth episode while paying attention to something else and it somehow caught my attention again. I will say I do like both the female leads, especially Parker Posey, and the robot is a sufficiently interesting mystery for the moment that the show will probably lose my interest once it's resolved.

Frankly, we've gotten to the point where CGI is so cheap and budgets for even second tier channel original programming are big enough that there's just no point in discussing special effects unless they suck. Three years ago, The Expanse was a special effects standout but now it's just slightly better than most of the rest. Unlike Warren, I could do with less of the UN and Martian pols and more with the Belters and crew of the Rocinante / whatever its new name is.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Apr 2018, 10:26

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 22:10
Not that anyone really wanted a contemporary clone of Lost In Space, but we start with the problem that the 'reboot' isn't Lost In Space. I was ready to write it off after three episodes, but I let it run into the fourth episode while paying attention to something else and it somehow caught my attention again. I will say I do like both the female leads, especially Parker Posey, and the robot is a sufficiently interesting mystery for the moment that the show will probably lose my interest once it's resolved.

Frankly, we've gotten to the point where CGI is so cheap and budgets for even second tier channel original programming are big enough that there's just no point in discussing special effects unless they suck. Three years ago, The Expanse was a special effects standout but now it's just slightly better than most of the rest. Unlike Warren, I could do with less of the UN and Martian pols and more with the Belters and crew of the Rocinante / whatever its new name is.
The Contorta (Naomi may have actually typed in the full Pinus Contorta). I'm losing interest with her crew. I was annoyed with Deadbeat Dad's letter home, which was time we could have spent elsewhere. Who does Amos remind me of? Every time he opens his mouth I hear some other character. It's been driving me nuts since the show started. I think maybe Matt Damon's Dogma angel.
dhex wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:55
Planet earth 2 is pretty.
Full endorsement of the whole Planet Earth line. Although I haven't seen Blue Planet II yet. Fuckin Dish, BBC America is only a sometimes channel.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Apr 2018, 16:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Apr 2018, 03:50
Ellie wrote:
I think the slang term "town pump" gives some insight into the small town hetero male's point of view. Having three or more available women is probably seen as an embarrassment of riches.
The village bike. Everyone gets to ride.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Apr 2018, 16:19

JasonL wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 20:38
I love it. And Legion!!!
So excited for both.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex