JasonL

Re: The Techno-Bleg Thread

Post by JasonL » 06 Jan 2018, 22:30

This will be our first win 10 machine

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Jan 2018, 22:59

Windows key + x is your friend.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2018, 00:19

WTF!? Why does every single piece of freeware I try to install not install?
I've tried installing three different Android Emulators and logmeonce, all of them shit the bed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Jan 2018, 10:28

Warren wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 00:19
I've tried installing three different Android Emulators and logmeonce, all of them shit the bed.
I use Nox for Android emulation without a problem. Did you try that?

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2018, 10:57

Painboy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:28
Warren wrote:
AAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!
FUCKSHITGODDAMNITFUCKINGSHITSHITSHIT

Same shit. It installs almost all the way but gets to 99% and then a Failure to Start popup. This time with helpful link on what to do about it. AHA!
But the link is all about getting you mac to allow the install of "unknown developer" by going into the security preferences and clicking "Open Anyway", which I already knew about and have been doing. But that's got to be it somehow. High Sierra is preventing apps from getting internet access and such. There's got to be a bit somewhere that needs to be set/reset.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Jan 2018, 11:08

So you're on a Mac? Unfortunately I can't help you with that all that much. Like you mentioned there is some kind of developer settings that you can enable. I had to do that all the time when I was using various test builds on Apple hardware. Not sure why what you did wouldn't work though.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Jan 2018, 12:28

Warren wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:57
Painboy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:28
Warren wrote:
AAAAAAAAAHHHHRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!
FUCKSHITGODDAMNITFUCKINGSHITSHITSHIT

Same shit. It installs almost all the way but gets to 99% and then a Failure to Start popup. This time with helpful link on what to do about it. AHA!
But the link is all about getting you mac to allow the install of "unknown developer" by going into the security preferences and clicking "Open Anyway", which I already knew about and have been doing. But that's got to be it somehow. High Sierra is preventing apps from getting internet access and such. There's got to be a bit somewhere that needs to be set/reset.
Oh shoot. I have run into a thing kind of like this, and it could be that it's a write-permission problem in the applications directory. But it was a year or two ago, and I don't recall any particulars whatsoever.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Feb 2018, 20:38

I have a 5.1 setup but I currently can't setup the rear surround speakers. Is there a way for me to set it up in a 3.1 configuration? I have a decent receiver but it doesn't list anything about that kind of setup. If I just set it up as is in a 5.1 mode I'm not going to get all the sound info since it would trying to pump sound where there aren't any speakers. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Feb 2018, 21:14

If the receiver doesn't have that setup, then there's not really anything you can do about it. You could stack the rears and the fronts and run it as 5.1, and just live with that? Can I ask the reason you can't set up the rears? Lack of space? It might be the kind of thing that doesn't matter that much, since they aren't particularly musical tracks, so you could just put them on the floor next to the couch or something.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Feb 2018, 21:34

Highway wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:14
If the receiver doesn't have that setup, then there's not really anything you can do about it. You could stack the rears and the fronts and run it as 5.1, and just live with that? Can I ask the reason you can't set up the rears? Lack of space? It might be the kind of thing that doesn't matter that much, since they aren't particularly musical tracks, so you could just put them on the floor next to the couch or something.
I don't want to run the speaker wire right now. The room is kind of small for the speakers anyway.

I did some googling around myself and there are some who are saying that if the speakers aren't hooked up to the receiver it won't route stuff to them and will send the info to whatever speakers are hooked up. That sounds strange to me though.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Feb 2018, 21:57

Painboy wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:34
Highway wrote:
I don't want to run the speaker wire right now. The room is kind of small for the speakers anyway.

I did some googling around myself and there are some who are saying that if the speakers aren't hooked up to the receiver it won't route stuff to them and will send the info to whatever speakers are hooked up. That sounds strange to me though.
Yeah, that sounds like total BS.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 04 Feb 2018, 20:56

Highway wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:57
Painboy wrote:
03 Feb 2018, 21:34
Highway wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like total BS.
I figured out what people were talking about. My receiver has an auto setup feature that figures out the speakers you have using a mic. That worked with two speakers. So if I decide to add another along with the sub that should be possible.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Feb 2018, 15:01

Hey photography type people - whats the most portable camera I can get to take better pictures of landscapes on vacation. Notably - going to iceland, think we will catch northern lights, only have an iphone and a lumix sport point and shoot. Is there a compact mirrorless thing that will be a significant upgrade but packs really small? What are the right lenses?

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Feb 2018, 15:29

There was this list, which might be a good starting point. I looked at it and was like "ouch, my wallet hurts just looking at it..."

https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/0 ... mmers.html

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Mar 2018, 09:12

My ex had an early Canon DSLR on our trip to Costa Rica, and it performed really well.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Mar 2018, 09:53

DSLR in general way bigger than I want the deal with

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Mar 2018, 10:33

I feel like at this point an iphone probably is already the best bet? They take good pictures and anything better quality is going to be a DSLR. But I'm just guessing.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Mar 2018, 11:15

Go to dpreview.com (talk about a terribly chosen website name) and use their camera buying guides to narrow down what you're looking for and how much you want to spend. They have both a travel category and a landscape category ($$$ for that one). If you want something with interchangeable lenses, you're going to hit $3k very quickly.

Edit: there are some point and shoots by Fuji and Panasonic that have huge sensors that might be an acceptable compromise. No fooling around with lenses. They're around $1k.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Mar 2018, 11:38

Ellie wrote:I feel like at this point an iphone probably is already the best bet? They take good pictures and anything better quality is going to be a DSLR. But I'm just guessing.
Night shots of aurora with iPhone is basically not going to work. Even with apps that allow for extended exposure you just don’t get enough light. I was hoping for a mirrorless model with a kick ass base wide angle lens and maybe one for closer critter pics. Was hoping for oz in the teens and price in the sub $1k zone.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Mar 2018, 11:52

A Sony a6000 with two lenses (16-50mm and 55-210mm) might be a good option. Under $1k.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Mar 2018, 12:16

JasonL wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 11:38
Ellie wrote:I feel like at this point an iphone probably is already the best bet? They take good pictures and anything better quality is going to be a DSLR. But I'm just guessing.
Night shots of aurora with iPhone is basically not going to work. Even with apps that allow for extended exposure you just don’t get enough light.
Ah, yes, very good point.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Mar 2018, 13:53

Andrew wrote:
01 Mar 2018, 11:15
Go to dpreview.com (talk about a terribly chosen website name)
I knew the guy who founded that! Virtually. He originally had a forum for Power Computing users. That was one of my Grylliades before Grylliade.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Mar 2018, 14:02

About 13 years ago I got one of the Canon A6x0 (I think A620 but I'd have to dig it out and look) which is a point-and-shoot with a good zoom that can do macro as well as landscape and photo. It had low resolution by modern standards and a small crappy screen and whatnot, but assuming there's an updated successor in that line, it'd be great for your application. I did lots of landscapes in Dominica as well as closeups of critters and flowers.

I could post examples if it were of interest for evaluating the output.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 01 Mar 2018, 14:36

I went through this a few months ago and, after too much agonizing, came to really like the Fuji line up. If you're OK with the fixed lens, the X100 series is supposed to be fantastic, basically the same guts of their 'top tier' interchangeable-lens cameras with their ace 23mm f2 lens grafted on. Fuji's nice because they don't lock out features across their models to make the pricier options look more attractive, and they continue to roll out firmware updates for older models. The 23mm is equivalent to 35mm, so it's not all that wide for landscape shots, but you get a faster and better lens than regular point-and-shoots.

Sony and Panasonic are generally the other big names in mirrorless. Sony's not terribly portable, imo, and I'm not a fan of their layout. Panasonic's Lumix use the smaller 4/3 sensor, meaning everything's smaller and the lenses are generally less expensive, but people rave about the quality. dpreview.com is the place to go for info.

Myself, I bought a used Fuji X-T1 on ebay, along with the 'kit' zoom lens, which is rather large. The camera's still quite small and light, but if by portable you're looking for something to throw in your jacket pocket, it probably won't work (unless you have a flat prime lens on it... like the 23mm f2). The Fuji lenses are generally $400-600, unless you're a freak or pro who needs the fastest lenses, then those are over a grand. If your initial purpose is wide landscape photography, and you do go with an interchangeable lens system, Rokinon/Samyang has good wide lenses for about $300 for a bunch of different mounts. I've read astrophotographers who say they're great.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Mar 2018, 10:34

There's a school of thought that you should enjoy the experience directly and take only the memory with you, and that the act of taking pictures diminishes that experience. Depends on whether you're there to enjoy the experience or to enjoy telling other people about the experience when you get back home.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT