Orange is the new President

Jennifer

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jennifer » 08 Feb 2018, 20:40

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Feb 2018, 12:52

lunchstealer wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 04:45
Gold Pony Boy wrote: Stephen Miller is basically what I imagine a Batman villain to be like at his day job.
I always thought he was more of a Stephen King villain. Specifically, Andre Linoge.
You spelled "Craig Toomy (as played by Bronson Pinchot in the 1995 teledrama adaptation of King's short story "The Langoliers)" wrong.

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 09 Feb 2018, 14:15

Ahahaha, of course, Trump comes out defending Porter (autoplay, natch):
We wish him well. He worked very hard. I found out about it recently and I was surprised by it. But we certainly wish him well. It's obviously a tough time for him. He did a very good job when he was in the White House. And we hope he has a wonderful career, and hopefully he will have a great career ahead of him. But it was very said when we heard about it, and certainly he's also very sad. Now he also as you probably know, he says he's innocent. And I think you have to remember that. He said very strongly yesterday that he's innocent. So you'll have to talk to him about that. But we absolutely wish him well. Did a very good job while he was at the White House.
Makes you wonder if the "Trump is furious at Kelly for not telling him!" leaks are more spin from Jarvanka.

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Feb 2018, 14:20

Meanwhile Kelly is all George_Costanza_Was_That_Wrong.gif
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Feb 2018, 15:40

Look at least he wasn't shoplifting sunglasses (while being black)

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Feb 2018, 16:03

Dangerman wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 12:52
lunchstealer wrote:
08 Feb 2018, 04:45
Gold Pony Boy wrote: Stephen Miller is basically what I imagine a Batman villain to be like at his day job.
I always thought he was more of a Stephen King villain. Specifically, Andre Linoge.
You spelled "Craig Toomy (as played by Bronson Pinchot in the 1995 teledrama adaptation of King's short story "The Langoliers)" wrong.
I stand by my analysis:

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 09 Feb 2018, 16:33

Yeah but his persona is all wrong. Miller's not intense, he's wound too tight.

Mo

Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 09 Feb 2018, 23:31

Memo from John Kelly:

Correction on the most recent memo. Our political strategy is to appeal to men who wear wife beaters, not to men who were wife beaters. My apologies for the confusion.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Feb 2018, 23:40

Mo wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 23:31
Memo from John Kelly:

Correction on the most recent memo. Our political strategy is to appeal to men who wear wife beaters, not to men who were wife beaters. My apologies for the confusion.
Do they drape them over their shoulders live or do they skin them and use their hides to make coats?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Feb 2018, 13:48

Points.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2018, 10:11

hahahah omg hahahhaah
The Trump administration is proposing to save billions in the coming years by giving low-income families a box of government-picked, nonperishable foods every month instead of food stamps.

White House OMB Director Mick Mulvaney on Monday hailed the idea as one that kept up with the modern era, calling it a "Blue Apron-type program" — a nod to the high-end meal kit delivery company that had one of the worst stock debuts in 2017 and has struggled to hold onto customers. Mulvaney said the administration’s plan would not only save the government money, but also provide people with more nutritious food than they have now.

The proposal, buried in the White House’s fiscal 2019 budget, would replace about half of the money most families receive via the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, also known as food stamps, with what the Department of Agriculture is calling “America’s Harvest Box.” That package would be made up of "100 percent U.S. grown and produced food" and would include items like shelf-stable milk, peanut butter, canned fruits and meats, and cereal.
Asked about how delivery would work, USDA spokesman Tim Murtaugh clarified that states would “have flexibility” in how they choose to distribute the food to SNAP recipients. In other words, the federal government almost certainly would not be picking up the tab for any type of Amazon-style delivery system. “The projected savings does not include shipping door-to-door for all recipients,” Murtaugh said.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/ ... ion-343245

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Feb 2018, 10:34

??? The right wing obsession with SNAP is baffling.

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Feb 2018, 10:44

JasonL wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:34
It's troubling how far you can go in explaining conservative policy if you start by assuming it's racism all the way down.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Feb 2018, 10:48

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2018, 10:52

Look, guys, it's just like Blue Apron, only with cheap nonperishable food you have to line up to get.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Feb 2018, 10:55

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:52
Look, guys, it's just like Blue Apron, only with cheap nonperishable food you have to line up to get.
Unfresh Indirect

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 13 Feb 2018, 12:41

JasonL wrote:
From the same impulse that drives lefties to gripe that they eat McDonald's instead of organic kale: them poors is pooring wrong!
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2018, 13:06

Why do you hate America's harvesters

Shem

Post by Shem » 13 Feb 2018, 13:09

Sandy wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 12:41
JasonL wrote:
From the same impulse that drives lefties to gripe that they eat McDonald's instead of organic kale: them poors is pooring wrong!
With a dash of "I don't even want you to have one 12 ounce can of Coke worth of happiness until you kick this 'poverty' habit you've picked up "
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 13 Feb 2018, 13:21

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 13:06
A harvester took Def Lepperd's drummer's arm.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Feb 2018, 13:25

Sandy wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 13:21
nicole wrote:
Not an *American* one!

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 13 Feb 2018, 15:32

nicole wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 13:25
Sandy wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 13:21
nicole wrote:
Not an *American* one!
We can't risk home-grown terrorism, either.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Feb 2018, 16:25

This looks like a weird mixture of poor-hated and the pointy-haired-boss "making stupid and pointless changes to look/feel involved" thing.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 13 Feb 2018, 17:35

I like that the existing commodity food programs are slated to be rolled into this.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/food-distribution-programs
Of course, being government:
How much does the program
cost?

In FY 2017, Congress appropriated $375.4
million for TEFAP - $316 million to purchase
food and $59.4 million for administrative support
for State and local agencies.
In addition to USDA Foods purchased with
appropriated funds, TEFAP distributes ‘bonus’
foods purchased by USDA to support
agriculture markets
. In FY 2016, $305.52 million
of such foods were made available to TEFAP
According to the Politico article the source of this new and innovative plan was:
(USDA spokesman)Murtaugh said the concept was developed internally at USDA.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Feb 2018, 17:38

Warren wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:44
JasonL wrote:
It's troubling how far you can go in explaining conservative policy if you start by assuming it's racism all the way down.
The only troubling part is how so many otherwise-decent people who really ought to know better nonetheless persist in refusing to assume it's racism all the way down, no matter how much evidence there is. "Yeah but, but, but, DEMOCRATS! The left wing! Everyone sucks! Hillary would've been equally bad! Don't single out one party for especial complaints!"

Even with the racism renaissance, with far more Americans than ever before (in my lifetime) openly saying "Fuck yeah white power" and even "Hitler was a good chap, our grandcestors fought on the wrong side in World War Two," it still wouldn't be enough for them to get away with this shit if not for the tacit support from the "But the Democrats! But Hillary! There is no sane and coherent reason to single out the GOP!" types. What Martin Luther King said about white moderates back in the day remains valid, unfortunately.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b