Food

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: Food

Post by JasonL » 17 Jan 2018, 18:31

Depends on volume of water you are trying to hold at temp. You get gradients without circulation beyond a given volume

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Jan 2018, 18:55

Here's an article on beer cooler sous vide:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook ... -hack.html

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jan 2018, 23:10

I went to the Korean-Mexican fusion truck again this evening. Tofu burrito and fish taco. Anyone who dislikes either immigration or cultural appropriation is decrying a truly amazing cultural and culinary innovation, and should feel bad about themselves.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jan 2018, 23:58

thoreau wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 23:10
I went to the Korean-Mexican fusion truck again this evening. Tofu burrito and fish taco. Anyone who dislikes either immigration or cultural appropriation is decrying a truly amazing cultural and culinary innovation, and should feel bad about themselves.
Kogi?
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jan 2018, 00:37

Yep.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jan 2018, 20:13

(Sigh) Jeff's off at a science fiction convention for a couple nights, and since I have the place to myself I figured I'd make some chicken. (Jeff likes chicken mainly as an ingredient, whereas I like biting into a properly seasoned drumstick or thigh.) We don't have any chicken but I figured it would be simple to pick up a package of thighs or drumsticks I could season and bake -- nope, turns out Kroger on Friday night pretty much sucks. Chicken section was gutted; all they had left for chicken parts were some giant-size family packs, and a couple of very expensive organic fair-trade free-range eco-friendly dolphin-safe etc. etc. options.

Okay, I figured, no chicken but maybe I'll get one of those fancy/expensive frozen dinners or entrees, the kind some of the pricier restaurant chains offer for sale, or items of the "goat cheese ravioli handmade by nuns in Tuscany" variety -- nope, again, the section had been picked over pretty well. Maybe the seafood section has those chilled heat-n-serve lobster bisques or other luxury soups? Nope.

Then I thought I'd try the little Chinese takeout place across the street from the Kroger -- except it was on the other side of one of those highway-divider things, and getting to it would take a ridiculously long time.

So I'll just make an ordinary sandwich or something after all, but Kroger did have key lime pie on sale for a really good price, so I've got one of those thawing in the fridge now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Jan 2018, 20:40

thoreau wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 00:37
Yep.
Yum.

Timing hasn't been right to make it to a truck in a couple years, but I'll have to try the fish taco. The few times I've ventured beyond the bbq or pork tacos I felt like I was just drinking a vat of grease (I'm particularly singling out the Black Jack Quesadilla) so I usually stick to those.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jan 2018, 20:41

Jennifer wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 20:13
Chicken section was gutted; all they had left for chicken parts were some giant-size family packs, and a couple of very expensive organic fair-trade free-range eco-friendly dolphin-safe etc. etc. options.
Why you no get the giant family pack and freeze what you don't cook tonight? Pick up a box of quart freezer bags and a marker while you're at it if needs be.
Economy of size savings.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 19 Jan 2018, 21:08

Warren wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 20:41
Jennifer wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 20:13
Chicken section was gutted; all they had left for chicken parts were some giant-size family packs, and a couple of very expensive organic fair-trade free-range eco-friendly dolphin-safe etc. etc. options.
Why you no get the giant family pack and freeze what you don't cook tonight? Pick up a box of quart freezer bags and a marker while you're at it if needs be.
Economy of size savings.
Because even with all those many pounds, it's still not a very good price compared to what I'd pay for a family pack elsewhere (Kroger's one of the more expensive chains for most items). And I don't feel like dealing with all that extra chicken right now.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Jan 2018, 21:20

Jennifer wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 21:08
Kroger's one of the more expensive chains for most items
Really? In places I've lived, Kroger is budget groceries. There's cheaper to be found, but only poverty would drive one to accept the reduction in quality.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 19 Jan 2018, 21:36

Warren wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 21:20
Jennifer wrote:
Really? In places I've lived, Kroger is budget groceries. There's cheaper to be found, but only poverty would drive one to accept the reduction in quality.
I dunno, I hear it most often pronounced as Crow-zhay, and we all know if a word sounds french it must be high end fancy pants.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 19 Jan 2018, 22:15

Warren wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 21:20
Jennifer wrote:
Yeah, same here. The only reliably cheaper place is a local chain called Food City, and it's the sort of place where any produce or vegetables need to be used within 24 hours of purchase.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jan 2018, 17:55

With Jeff gone to his sci-fi convention today I drove to a certain thrift store I particularly like except it's unfortunately over 20+ miles away, and made some pretty good scores. Then, since I was out that far anyway, I drove the additional few miles to "The Halal Guys" in Chamblee (the only HG store in all Georgia, apparently); it started out as a New York City food truck and expanded, and they have the absolute OMG best gyros-with-white sauce anywhere. If you're among the small percentage of the population lucky enough to live in proximity to The Halal Guys -- and have no problem eating meat and dairy in one sitting -- get one.

I actually indulged in two -- one to eat there, and one for carryout. Turns out they reheat pretty well, too.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 25 Jan 2018, 23:19

Jadagul wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 18:55
Here's an article on beer cooler sous vide:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook ... -hack.html
So I've now tried this with a chicken breast, a boneless pork loin chop, and a chuck steak.

The steak, while not one of the usual recommended cuts, seemed like a good candidate- cheap, very marbled and a little tougher. Fits the description of steaks that Serious Eats recommended doing closer to medium than medium rare, for the fat rendering. Hour and a half at 132-135, and even though it was barely an inch thick it didn't get up to temp in the middle; I think I didn't get it out of the fridge long enough beforehand (maybe 10 minutes) because I was in a bit of a hurry. Ended up a little tougher than I was expecting, but terrific beefy flavor. I think with more lead time letting it get to room temp, and maybe a little longer in the bath, it should be perfect.

The chicken breast, despite being much thicker than the steak ended up at exact temp and was terrifically juicy. Pork chop was slightly dry, but I think it was more that the piece of meat was very lean to begin with, and still came out much better than if I'd attempted to just grill it like normal. Seared the pork chop on the grill and the breast in butter in a pan, and neither sear was satisfactory. The lesson I learned was that It really does have to be super duper hot, just like what they recommend. So in the future just oil in a pan.

And I can't help taking a jab at the Serious Eats web page on sous vide steaks, from the desk of Captain Obvious:
Step 10: Flip and Repeat

After 15 to 30 seconds, flip the steak so that the second side comes into contact with the pan.
Thanks for clearing that up. :roll:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jan 2018, 19:17

Tried a recipe for "Chicken Korma" from a "Taste of Home" recipe book (ToH is a recipe magazine that publishes recipes from actual readers, as opposed to invented in some food company's "test kitchen" -- hence, "taste of home." Every year they put out a hardcover book with all the previous year's recipes, and this has been going on long enough that by now, pretty much every thrift-store book section and secondhand library sale will have a few ToH annuals available dirt-cheap). The recipe's primary ingredients are chicken and potatoes, plus lots of different spices and flavorings. I thought the results tasted awesome, but Jeff was profoundly meh about it (possibly because he likes large amounts of turmeric in any Indian recipe we try, wheres this chicken korma recipe had no turmeric in all), and he dismissively called it "a curry with potatoes" and "Indian housewife food" in a very non-admiring tone of voice.

Which I found quite funny, because that recipe came from the 2011 Taste of Home annual edition, specifically in the section titled "Mom's Best." The reader who submitted that recipe to Taste of Home magazine said it was one his mother used to make all the time. So, yeah: it actually is Indian housewife food. NTTAWWT.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jan 2018, 20:57

the best goddamn food i've ever had in my life was literally indian (specifically mumbai) housewife cooking.
"I like you, but you are a film moron." - db

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 21:05

IMO, that housewife's chicken korma was the tastiest Indian or Indian-ish dish ever made in my household.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jan 2018, 22:09

I like Jeff but I don't understand how you can be dismissive about "a curry with potatoes." Who doesn't love a curry with potatoes?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 28 Jan 2018, 23:20

Ellie wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 22:09
I like Jeff but I don't understand how you can be dismissive about "a curry with potatoes." Who doesn't love a curry with potatoes?
Me. It's OK, but the potatoes tend to hold heat longer than other elements, making them dicey, and then when they get cold they're just crap. They also don't really add anything to the flavor. They can be done well, but I much prefer a good meat curry with rice or naan as the starch.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 23:24

Thing is, Jeff isn't opposed to trying the recipe again; he just wants to add a shitload of turmeric to it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Jan 2018, 23:32

Jennifer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 23:24
Thing is, Jeff isn't opposed to trying the recipe again; he just wants to add a shitload of turmeric to it.
I object to using turmeric by the shitload.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jan 2018, 23:39

Next time we try the recipe, I'll suggest we divvy it in half so he can add turmeric to his and leave mine alone.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Jan 2018, 00:31

Textured Vegetable Protein is actually pretty good (well, it tastes like whatever you season it with) and is probably not made of people.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 29 Jan 2018, 09:20

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 00:31
Textured Vegetable Protein is actually pretty good (well, it tastes like whatever you season it with) and is probably not made of people.
It has come a long way since the early 90's when I flirted with vegetarianism.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 29 Jan 2018, 09:25

Warren wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 23:32
Jennifer wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 23:24
I object to using turmeric by the shitload.
Agree. 1/4 tsp is a lot of freaking turmeric. I use like 1 tbsp in a giant pot of ethiopian cabbage with 4 lbs of cabbage.