Orange is the new President

Jadagul

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jan 2018, 01:36

Sure. It's just true that there are some things which are protected from discovery by attorney-client privilege, and other things which are not.

But I'm assuming this entire strategy is in part an attempt to end-run discovery---that's why the lawyer is suing in his own name, and not in Trump's. I'm guessing the rest of the litigation strategy is also based around defeating discovery, and they're intending to claim attorney-client privilege on a bunch of things. (And possibly choosing the statements they're suing over to line up with what can be defended that way---at least, that's what I'd do if I were running strategy here).

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Jan 2018, 02:05

Jadagul wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 01:36
Sure. It's just true that there are some things which are protected from discovery by attorney-client privilege, and other things which are not.

But I'm assuming this entire strategy is in part an attempt to end-run discovery---that's why the lawyer is suing in his own name, and not in Trump's. I'm guessing the rest of the litigation strategy is also based around defeating discovery, and they're intending to claim attorney-client privilege on a bunch of things. (And possibly choosing the statements they're suing over to line up with what can be defended that way---at least, that's what I'd do if I were running strategy here).
I mean. Would you have standing to sue for defamation of someone else besides yourself? I don't get it.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 Jan 2018, 02:39

Pham Nuwen wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 02:05
Jadagul wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 01:36

I mean. Would you have standing to sue for defamation of someone else besides yourself? I don't get it.
The question is why Trump's lawyer is suing for defamation of Trump's lawyer. Rather than, say, Trump suing for defamation of Trump. (Or, if you're worried about the issues of the President starting a lawsuit, then Kushner suing for defamation of Kushner or something).

Like, I assume that the decision for Cohen to sue Buzzfeed was something decided on with Trump---and not just Cohen getting personally pissed off. I suppose I could be wrong.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 10 Jan 2018, 09:04

iirc, Cohen is named as one of the 'sources' in the dossier (I can't remember if its in the dossier itself, or in reporting on it), and he denies ever being in the location when one of the meetings supposedly took place.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Jan 2018, 18:07

thinky-face

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Jan 2018, 19:13

nicole wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 18:07
thinky-face

As long as Trump continues to twitter things that sound like what a sportsbar patron would say after the third drink, he cannot alienate his base.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Jan 2018, 19:24

Aresen wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 19:13
As long as Trump continues to twitter things that sound like what a sportsbar patron would say after the third drink, he cannot alienate his base.
America is truly a democracy.

Fuck.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jan 2018, 19:40

I would hypothesize that the median African immigrant to the US is more educated and harder-working than the median Norwegian immigrant.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 11 Jan 2018, 20:45

Mo wrote:
11 Jan 2018, 19:40
I would hypothesize that the median African immigrant to the US is more educated and harder-working than the median Norwegian immigrant.
There's a fair amount of evidence showing that Black African immigrants to the US are more successful than native-born Black Americans. There are a lot of factors at work, of course.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jan 2018, 21:00

Oh I know, it's because they are disproportionately the most educated, motivated and hard-working citizens looking to improve their life. I would hypothesize that immigrants from wealthy countries are more likely to be romantic dreamers looking for adventure, with a smaller proportion of self-motivated strivers.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Jan 2018, 22:47

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 11 Jan 2018, 23:19

Did anyone see Phillip Mudd on CNN? Goddamn
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jan 2018, 00:09

Yeah, coming hard with the hammer. He said the N-word twice and Lemon didn't object either time.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jan 2018, 07:26

man why the fuck would you say that particular word on tv?
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jan 2018, 07:36

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jan 2018, 08:07

Yeah but still
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jan 2018, 08:23

I was shocked enough earlier in the day when he mentioned wops and slant-eyes.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Jan 2018, 10:57

Mo wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 07:36
He was just rolling at that point. https://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-c ... -shtholer/
From the article:
“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?,” Trump reportedly said — referring to African countries, El Salvador, and Haiti.
Uhm....

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Jan 2018, 11:18

Painboy wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 10:57
From the article:
“Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?,” Trump reportedly said — referring to African countries, El Salvador, and Haiti.
Uhm....
What's the confusion? The Oxford comma saves the day.

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jan 2018, 11:37

The US ambassador to Haiti has resigned.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jan 2018, 11:44

oxford comma saves erry day

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jan 2018, 11:45

nicole wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:37
Is it the woman that's been there as an interim appointment when the last guy resigned as part of the change of adminstration (Robin Diallo) or is it the woman that Trump picked to be the 'real' ambassador, but doesn't appear to have shown up for the job yet? (Michele Sison)

the internet isn't clear.

eta - though they are both career foreign service officers.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jan 2018, 11:48

Kolohe wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:45
nicole wrote:
12 Jan 2018, 11:37
Is it the woman that's been there as an interim appointment when the last guy resigned as part of the change of adminstration (Robin Diallo) or is it the woman that Trump picked to be the 'real' ambassador, but doesn't appear to have shown up for the job yet? (Michele Sison)

the internet isn't clear.

eta - though they are both career foreign service officers.
yeah, was just coming back to say this is unclear

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jan 2018, 11:53

The internet now says it was the US Ambassador to Panama that resigned.

and also

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jan 2018, 12:10

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem