Worthwhile intertubez finds

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14187
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Aresen » 14 Dec 2017, 12:39

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 12:33
Wow that is truly horrible. This could just as easily go in the inequality thread, as it guarantees people who aspire to fly high the aspidistra are going to make sure they don't associate with *those* people.
+1 Wigan pier
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22271
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2017, 13:16

I'm not sure I see a business case in the US. In parts of asia there's still this idea of "do you have someone rich or prominent who will vouch for you" so there's already this odd kind of social agreement about credit worthiness thing. Deal is, if the market for loans is large and competitive, I can't see a persistent state in the US for turning down good money because your follows are crackheads.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8797
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by nicole » 14 Dec 2017, 13:26

JasonL wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 13:16
I'm not sure I see a business case in the US. In parts of asia there's still this idea of "do you have someone rich or prominent who will vouch for you" so there's already this odd kind of social agreement about credit worthiness thing. Deal is, if the market for loans is large and competitive, I can't see a persistent state in the US for turning down good money because your follows are crackheads.
It doesn't have to be only about loans. Can be landlords deciding where you can live. Doctors deciding whether to take you as a patient. Companies deciding to hire you. Platforms deciding to publish you. Etc.

We will get this and it will come because people want it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22711
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 14 Dec 2017, 13:56

JasonL wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 13:16
I'm not sure I see a business case in the US. In parts of asia there's still this idea of "do you have someone rich or prominent who will vouch for you" so there's already this odd kind of social agreement about credit worthiness thing. Deal is, if the market for loans is large and competitive, I can't see a persistent state in the US for turning down good money because your follows are crackheads.
It's one more data point. It many not affect loan issuance, but the pricing of loans. So all your friends are upstanding wealthy people, you get a mortgage of 3.75%. You have a couple of friends with a DUI, so you're going to pay 4% on your mortgage. It could also become part of insurance underwriting and the like.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
tr0g
Posts: 6630
Joined: 11 May 2011, 10:21
Location: At the shop

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by tr0g » 14 Dec 2017, 13:58

Maybe I'm stupid, but wouldn't setting your facebook profile to private solve this problem?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

User avatar
Fin Fang Foom
Posts: 9539
Joined: 05 May 2010, 22:39

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Dec 2017, 14:07

I am pretty sure that the Dems are going to come back in power and will set up agencies that go EU on this kind of thing's ass. Massive overkill, but 2008 didn't chasten businesses, so 2020 or whatever may hurt them real bad.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22271
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2017, 14:17

I don’t know why the variable pricing would persist in a competitive rates environment. I can’t imagine real risk sufficient for some bank to hold the line on high rates for ok fundamentals but social nightmare guy. Credit union goes, meh lower rate come here, Big Bank goes “nope! Too much risk look at that guy Joe McBrokeman who just liked his cat pic!

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 22711
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Mo » 14 Dec 2017, 15:06

tr0g wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 13:58
Maybe I'm stupid, but wouldn't setting your facebook profile to private solve this problem?
Not if FB is doing the rating or selling the data output.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
pistoffnick
Posts: 2740
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:52
Location: Right behind you. Watching.

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Dec 2017, 15:46

That is somewhat the premise of Black Mirror - Nosedive Season 3 Episode 1
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3599
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Painboy » 14 Dec 2017, 18:40

pistoffnick wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 15:46
That is somewhat the premise of Black Mirror - Nosedive Season 3 Episode 1
Yeah that was the first episode of Black Mirror I saw. I almost couldn't get through watching it. It was literally hell to me.

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22271
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JasonL » 14 Dec 2017, 20:08

Isn’t it supposed to be one of the least depressing?

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3599
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Painboy » 14 Dec 2017, 22:21

JasonL wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 20:08
Isn’t it supposed to be one of the least depressing?
I guess there is kind of a happyish ending maybe. More cathartic than happy really.

I will say if you have a hard time sitting through socially awkward scenes you're going to be squirming a lot.

Dangerman
Posts: 6151
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Dangerman » 14 Dec 2017, 23:51

Re:social credit, if it's responsive, you can game it at no cost by unfriending someone. And why would I join or stay on a platform with IRL consequences for posting habits?

Now, what we *really* need is an Elo ranking for pro-social behavior.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 25936
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by thoreau » 15 Dec 2017, 01:53

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15304
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dhex » 15 Dec 2017, 06:45

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8797
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by nicole » 15 Dec 2017, 09:28

Dangerman wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 23:51
Re:social credit, if it's responsive, you can game it at no cost by unfriending someone. And why would I join or stay on a platform with IRL consequences for posting habits?

Now, what we *really* need is an Elo ranking for pro-social behavior.
It's not like you need to be on Facebook or connected to people on Facebook for them to know who you spend time with. There just has to be one person in your social circle uploading photos.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Highway
Posts: 12828
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2017, 09:29

nicole wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 09:28
Dangerman wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 23:51
Re:social credit, if it's responsive, you can game it at no cost by unfriending someone. And why would I join or stay on a platform with IRL consequences for posting habits?

Now, what we *really* need is an Elo ranking for pro-social behavior.
It's not like you need to be on Facebook or connected to people on Facebook for them to know who you spend time with. There just has to be one person in your social circle uploading photos.
Hah! I'll show them! I never go anywhere with anyone in my social circle...

...

Awwwwww, nuts.....
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman
Posts: 6151
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Dangerman » 15 Dec 2017, 10:30

nicole wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 09:28
Dangerman wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 23:51
Re:social credit, if it's responsive, you can game it at no cost by unfriending someone. And why would I join or stay on a platform with IRL consequences for posting habits?

Now, what we *really* need is an Elo ranking for pro-social behavior.
It's not like you need to be on Facebook or connected to people on Facebook for them to know who you spend time with. There just has to be one person in your social circle uploading photos.
How is that any more secure against gaming? I would start an account that just posted pictures of me with high value faces in the frame. There's no way to check reciprocity or authenticate the relationship.

What if I'm a credit counselor? I'd have tons of photos next to people with bad credit. It seems obvious from an actuarial standpoint.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 8797
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by nicole » 15 Dec 2017, 10:31

Dangerman wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 10:30
nicole wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 09:28
Dangerman wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 23:51
Re:social credit, if it's responsive, you can game it at no cost by unfriending someone. And why would I join or stay on a platform with IRL consequences for posting habits?

Now, what we *really* need is an Elo ranking for pro-social behavior.
It's not like you need to be on Facebook or connected to people on Facebook for them to know who you spend time with. There just has to be one person in your social circle uploading photos.
How is that any more secure against gaming? I would start an account that just posted pictures of me with high value faces in the frame. There's no way to check reciprocity or authenticate the relationship.

What if I'm a credit counselor? I'd have tons of photos next to people with bad credit. It seems obvious from an actuarial standpoint.
I'm not saying it can't be gamed. I'm saying it can't be escaped.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15304
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dhex » 15 Dec 2017, 10:43

get your credit score based upon the big sort. wooooot
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Dangerman
Posts: 6151
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Dangerman » 15 Dec 2017, 12:14

But if it's easy to game, you won't have to escape it, because it won't be used because it's not accurate.

This all assumes that FB lasts as an institution, which seems unlikely to me.

User avatar
JD
Posts: 10172
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by JD » 15 Dec 2017, 12:51

Dangerman wrote:
14 Dec 2017, 23:51
Re:social credit, if it's responsive, you can game it at no cost by unfriending someone. And why would I join or stay on a platform with IRL consequences for posting habits?

Now, what we *really* need is an Elo ranking for pro-social behavior.
Alternately, I see another way this can be used. "Hi, guys, I have a really high credit score. For a small monthly fee, I will be your Facebook friend..."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Dangerman
Posts: 6151
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by Dangerman » 15 Dec 2017, 13:02

I mean people make money by exploiting in-game item mining, and having a 'public Facebook account' that is moderated by a third party is already common. My CEO has a Facebook profile, but it's not a accurate view of her own actions at all, even the keystrokes and clicks are physiologically from another person.

User avatar
dhex
Posts: 15304
Joined: 05 May 2010, 16:05
Location: 'murica

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dhex » 15 Dec 2017, 13:15

Dangerman wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 12:14
But if it's easy to game, you won't have to escape it, because it won't be used because it's not accurate.

This all assumes that FB lasts as an institution, which seems unlikely to me.
it'll be easy to game for me, sure.

other folk not so much. thinking about the big sort, aa will suffer a lot because even if the individual has a college degree and good earnings, what about their friends? their family? or the working class folk around here. all you need is a few pill cousins and bam. it's a very good way to further lock in various pitfalls in the system.

that said, will it be implemented here? eh. i could see it getting hammered by various lawsuits and the like.

besides, credit scores are not a function of pinpoint accuracy so much as they are a revenue opportunity/hacking opportunity (as we've seen this year).
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 940
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Worthwhile intertubez finds

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Dec 2017, 13:31

dhex wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 13:15
all you need is a few pill cousins and bam. it's a very good way to further lock in various pitfalls in the system.
If we are to live up to our national myths, it has to be possible for an individual to rise above their circumstances. It's already more expensive to be poor, we should work to make that less, not more. Risk pricing based on demographics rather than individual behavior sure can look an awful lot like collective guilt and punishment.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Highway and 7 guests