Open wide for some soccer!

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Highway

Re: Open wide for some soccer!

Post by Highway » 17 Jun 2015, 11:22

Aresen wrote:FWIW, Canada is currently hosting the Women's FIFA World Cup. I think the US is one of the favorites.

The only thing that is mildly interesting to me is that games are being played from Vancouver (where the final will be played) to Montreal. That means the players sometimes have a four hour flight to get to their next game.
That's typical. The Brazil World Cup was ludicrous about travel, and the Russia World Cup was forced to keep it to European side cities to make sure it was at least doable. The USMNT for 2014 in Brazil had selected a base camp in Sao Paolo, in the middle of 8 of the 12 venues, geographically, but then had to play their Group games in three northern locations (drawn after they set where the base camp was). So they had a total travel of something like 9000 miles for those three games.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jun 2015, 11:25

US World Cup in 1994 was coast to coast.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jun 2015, 11:33

As was the Women's world cup in 1999. (I saw Women's World Cup games at Jack Kent Cooke (now Fedex) before I saw any Redskin's games there)

Last night's match was kinda blah, but the USA Swedish match was pretty intense. I mean, it literally had bloody Viking women battling it out.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Jul 2015, 19:48

Usa blasted Japan so hard in the opening, I feared godzilla might waken

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Oct 2015, 23:31

2015 is looking to be the worst year for Germany in about 70 years.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 May 2016, 19:40

Thanks to Tottenham Hotspur failing to beat Chelsea today, Leicester City has clinched the Premiere League championship for this season. In case you hadn't seen any of the articles in the last couple weeks, this is probably the most unlikely single event that you could have ever taken a bet on, with all the bookmakers giving 5000:1 odds at the beginning of the season back in August. This is also after they made an amazing climb out of the relegation zone at the end of last year, from last place on April 3, 2015, 7 points from safety, winning 7 of their last nine to stay up, and leading almost wire to wire this year and now clinching the title.

They certainly won't be considered the most dominant winners ever, and it's one of those lucky years for all involved, but given how stacked the deck is for anyone who's not a perennial winner, it's still quite the achievement. There have only ever been 5 teams to win the Premier League - ManUtd, Chelsea, Arsenal, and ManCity, with Blackburn winning one time more than 20 years ago. And Leicester City brought a payroll total of 54 million pounds, while the top 6 teams probably have at least one player who cost that much individually.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jun 2016, 22:34

This Argentina curbstomping of the US has been worse than the score suggests.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Jun 2016, 07:18

well god damn it, the DC United game I was supposed to go to tonight with my nieces has been rescheduled for Saturday, when their actual soccer camp is happening. Hopefully I'll be able to resell the tickets and only be out about 10 bucks in service fee

And it would have been nice for Stubhub to push some kind of alert to my email when the event date changed.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Dec 2016, 19:33

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Dec 2016, 20:43

Hahaha! I love it.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Dec 2017, 16:25

Egypt got a draw with the 17th, 63rd and 65th ranked teams in the world. Holy crap the Pharoahs may advance.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 02 Dec 2017, 13:20

Mo wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 16:25
Egypt got a draw with the 17th, 63rd and 65th ranked teams in the world. Holy crap the Pharoahs may advance.
Meanwhile Costa Rica (wife is from there so that's my team) got the 2nd and 8th ranked teams. Well, it was nice qualifying anyway.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Jul 2018, 20:20

If England beats Croatia tomorrow, that sets up an England vs France final on Sunday.

Any Harry Plantagenets around?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Jul 2018, 10:21

The English talking about The Cup is Coming Home is hilarious though. I think they've only won once on a goal that wouldn't survive review today. As someone put it "it's like the Jets talking about Lombardi coming home".

Highway

Post by Highway » 11 Jul 2018, 11:23

Well, you gotta cash in on those failed dreams from the 90s when you can. Especially with a bad song that half talks about how much of a failure you've been.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Jul 2018, 19:33

Highway wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:23
Well, you gotta cash in on those failed dreams from the 90s when you can. Especially with a bad song that half talks about how much of a failure you've been.
Yay Croatia! nice to see a small country (that didn't exist until the 90s) underdog have a great run.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Jul 2018, 19:48

dead_elvis wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 19:33
Highway wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 11:23
Yay Croatia! nice to see a small country (that didn't exist until the 90s) underdog have a great run.
If Croatia beats France, that will sure ruin Bastille Day weekend. :D

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jul 2018, 11:58

Re: England's loss to Croatia: I love this front page from an English rag:

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jul 2018, 19:48

So France won. Tant pis.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Jul 2018, 11:12

Ha, I hadn't heard that expression before, I like it.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Jul 2018, 12:47

It looks like "taint piss" (hello, I am super mature)
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Jul 2018, 11:46

Ellie wrote:It looks like "taint piss" (hello, I am super mature)
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Jul 2018, 13:55

I just like the wording of the definition google gave me, more colorful than just "too bad".
the situation is regrettable but now beyond retrieval.
Which accurately describes "taint piss", whatever one imagines that to be (*shudder*)