Observations of the Random sort

the innominate one

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by the innominate one » 18 Nov 2017, 19:07

Power Girl is one of the worst superheroes.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Mo

Observations of the Random sort

Post by Mo » 18 Nov 2017, 20:00

Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 23:13
The giant menu means that the food is all reheated frozen pre-prep food.
If your choices are all chains, that's pretty much what you're getting at any of them, I think. So of that kind of choice, I'd also give Cheesecake Factory a nod for being a little better than most. Their operation actually reminds me of a DisneyWorld restaurant: pack as many tables in as possible and turn them over as quickly as possible. But they manage to do that without making you feel particularly rushed.
Sure. Cheesecake Factory is definitely in the high tier of its division. Though IIRC, it’s pretty expensive too. Like I’d go to a Carrabas or something else in the high end chain before Cheesecake Factory. Also, the portions are way too fucking big.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 Nov 2017, 20:29

Mo wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 20:00
Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 23:13
The giant menu means that the food is all reheated frozen pre-prep food.
If your choices are all chains, that's pretty much what you're getting at any of them, I think. So of that kind of choice, I'd also give Cheesecake Factory a nod for being a little better than most. Their operation actually reminds me of a DisneyWorld restaurant: pack as many tables in as possible and turn them over as quickly as possible. But they manage to do that without making you feel particularly rushed.
Sure. Cheesecake Factory is definitely in the high tier of its division. Though IIRC, it’s pretty expensive too. Like I’d go to a Carrabas or something else in the high end chain before Cheesecake Factory. Also, the portions are way too fucking big.
One of the big draws with Cheesecake Factory, especially as group size increases, is the breadth of the menu. The group isn't stuck with a single type of food that maybe half don't want to have.

We actually end up sharing portions at Cheesecake factory. Or my wife will just get an appetizer instead of an entree.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Nov 2017, 22:02

Wtf is Carrabas

How are there more chain restos I haven’t even heard of
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Nov 2017, 22:18

nicole wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 22:02
Wtf is Carrabas

How are there more chain restos I haven’t even heard of
Carrabas Is between Pasta House and Olive Garden. I don’t know what Mo is smoking. The Cheesecake Factory definitely doesn’t reheat prepep food. Their ingredients are ridiculously fresh.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Nov 2017, 22:29

Cheesecake Factory noise level makes it undoable. I dunno pasta house but Carrabas is north of OG in quality

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Nov 2017, 22:34

JasonL wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 22:29
Cheesecake Factory noise level makes it undoable. I dunno pasta house but Carrabas is north of OG in quality
Hmm
It’s been a few years since I’ve been to a Carrabas. When was the last time you tried OG?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Nov 2017, 22:37

Carrabas is expensive.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Nov 2017, 22:44

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 22:29
Hmm
It’s been a few years since I’ve been to a Carrabas. When was the last time you tried OG?
Pretty long time ago tbh

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 18 Nov 2017, 23:11

I don't know Carrabbas.

All of the chain restaurants are too loud.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 18 Nov 2017, 23:37

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 23:11
All of the chain restaurants are too loud.
Strewth.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Nov 2017, 23:46

Joe's Motherfuckin' Crab Shack does, however, demonstrate that there are still degrees of loudawfulness among the chains.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Nov 2017, 00:22

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 23:46
Joe's Motherfuckin' Crab Shack does, however, demonstrate that there are still degrees of loudawfulness among the chains.
Dont be dissin Joe’s. Joe’s serves up steamed crab by the bucket. Who cares what it sounds like when you’re cracking crab?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 20 Nov 2017, 09:25

James Herriot's stories on life as a country vet in England gives some real perspective on how relatively easy life is now. I can't imagine driving in winter without a functional heater in the vehicle, among many other difficulties.

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Nov 2017, 09:39

the innominate one wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 09:25
James Herriot's stories on life as a country vet in England gives some real perspective on how relatively easy life is now. I can't imagine driving in winter without a functional heater in the vehicle, among many other difficulties.
Are you reading All Creatures? Have you watched it yet? HAVE I MENTIONED I LOVE ALL CREATURES???

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 20 Nov 2017, 09:52

You haven't mentioned that I've seen, but you're conveying your sentiment very well now.

I read All Creatures and now I'm on to All Things. The three ebook volumes go on sale periodically. I got them for $4. Not watching it, but I might. I assume you recommend watching?

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Nov 2017, 10:19

20 Nov 2017, 09:52
You haven't mentioned that I've seen, but you're conveying your sentiment very well now.

I read All Creatures and now I'm on to All Things. The three ebook volumes go on sale periodically. I got them for $4. Not watching it, but I might. I assume you recommend watching?
I mean, it's definitely not for everybody, but I would imagine anyone who liked the books would like the show as well. I could imagine some Americans having a hard time with some of the accents. But I think it's just about impossible to stream in the US at the moment; at least, I haven't found a way to. I'm thinking about getting the DVDs for Christmas because it's been years now since it's been on Netflix or anything.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Nov 2017, 15:28

nicole wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 09:39
Are you reading All Creatures? Have you watched it yet? HAVE I MENTIONED I LOVE ALL CREATURES???
All Creatures Grunt and Smell?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 20 Nov 2017, 15:36

nicole wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 09:39
+1 on the show. Really well done, especially the first series.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Nov 2017, 21:35

I still can't see Fudge any other way than Siegfried, and I have a hard time seeing Fifth Doctor as anyone but Tristan.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jason S.

Post by Jason S. » 21 Nov 2017, 09:48

I've not been to the Cheesecake Factory, but getting your cheesecake directly from the factory and cutting out the middleman seems like a good idea.
"I'm sure Jason S. is a fine fellow..." -JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 21 Nov 2017, 09:52

nicole wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 10:19
I mean, it's definitely not for everybody, but I would imagine anyone who liked the books would like the show as well. I could imagine some Americans having a hard time with some of the accents. But I think it's just about impossible to stream in the US at the moment; at least, I haven't found a way to. I'm thinking about getting the DVDs for Christmas because it's been years now since it's been on Netflix or anything.
It appears that whole seasons are posted on YouTube.

JD

Post by JD » 22 Nov 2017, 13:06

On a similar note, I was recently having a conversation with a somewhat older Englishman, and he mentioned that his father, who was born in the UK in 1916, grew up in a house without a toilet; there was instead an outhouse at the bottom of the garden. Kind of stunning to realize how much the world has changed in a relatively short time.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 22 Nov 2017, 13:11

The house my mom lived in in her childhood didn't have indoor plumbing. KY.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Nov 2017, 14:32

22 Nov 2017, 13:11
The house my mom lived in in her childhood didn't have indoor plumbing. KY.
KY or Detroit?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer