To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Fin Fang Foom

Re: To Infinity War and Beyond: the MCU Thread with Spoilers

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Aug 2017, 13:12

Jon Bernthal is the only Punisher I have liked. None of the others (actors and comic book) seem like broken men.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Aug 2017, 22:53

I loved the Punisher on Daredevil season 2.

I'm 7 episodes into Defenders and I really, really want to like it, but UGGGGHHHHHHHH. So much talking. The Defenders argue about what they're going to do. The Hand argues about what they're going to do. The Hand talk about their plan. The Defenders wonder what the Hand's plan is, which we the audience now already know. Various Defenders split into small groups and discuss how crazy this all is. The police talk to the Defenders. The Defenders talk to each other about what they should say to the police. The Defenders argue about what they're going to do ...

Interspersed with "fight scene! take your pick: ten random mooks in black pajamas or a big baddie that we know will get away to fight another day! it's so poorly lit for most of the fight you can only see your reflection in your computer monitor!"

It's not helping that I'm not the target audience for this kind of story. Immortal ninjas want to blow up the island of Manhattan to return to their transdimensional city! Give me Fisk or even Cottonmouth -- even Kilgrave locking kids in closets -- any day. Give me hard dirty flawed closeup man versus man conflicts, not this "global faceless conspiracy" bullshit because no1currrrrrrrr

Edited to add: also, Danny Rand is still a super whiny little bitch.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Aug 2017, 23:45

In a blank moment, I assumed the revival of this thread was a response to Trump's Afghanistan speech last night.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 22 Aug 2017, 23:50

Wait, that's it? There's only 8 episodes? It's not going to get a chance to find its stride and stumble onto any actual story arcs? Nooooooo. This was a complete waste of potential. COMPLETE. WASTE.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Aug 2017, 12:56

Disappointing final episode. Guys, even without the sarcophagi full of blood, nobody stays dead in the MCU, so we know he's not dead. Just stop.

Colleen has gotten just as bitchy and whiny as Danny. He is not a good influence on her!

Also -- this annoyed me way more than it should have -- that stupid scene when the heroes are getting back to the police station, and Karen and Foggy are watching the door in slow motion, and eventually realize Matt's not coming. Bullshit. Danny Rand would be a twat like that, but Luke and Claire would be sitting down to break the news gently, not cuddling up in the corner letting Karen and Foggy twist in the wind. It was just out of character and pointless for the sake of trying to be all artsy and dramatic.

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 23 Aug 2017, 14:17

Yeah, that moment in the police station was hilariously wrong. Unless Matt was actually going to walk through the door. But he didn't, so why wouldn't Claire break the news to her friend Foggy? Or use it as an opportunity to signify that the Defenders became a team, as the three come together to comfort their fallen partner's loved ones.

I feel like book could be written about all the things wrong with The Defenders. The villains are boring and ineffective. Alexandra appears to have no skills or plan beyond siccing Elektra on her enemies. Boring, time-wasting B-stories; I started to doze off during Cage's scenes about that kid and his mother. Taaaaaaaalking. So much talking with so little clarity of motives, threats, and plans.

The show really only entertained me when it was making fun of itself or upending its own cliches. Killing Sowande may not have been the best story decision, but it was fun.
Guess I should find a funny sig, huh?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Nov 2017, 11:09

I didn't like Thor: Ragnarok. Other people have been praising it for its unusually frequent comic relief, but comic relief only works as a dramatic tool if it's actually relieving something like, um, oh, I don't know... suspense? tension? drama?

Yes, Jeff Goldblum is delightfully over-the-top. The Hulk scenes are, on average, better than from any Hulk movie and the opening scene with Doctor Strange was good. Using The Immigrant Song in a fight scene was clever. But what I can only call the patter between Thor and Loki is for the most part banal and the increasingly "humanized" Thor is just off-putting. Maybe because I grew up with the original Marvel version split character / secret identity of Donald Blake, but Thor should have gravitas, not be the funny partner in a buddy cop movie.

Hela was okay, the fight scenes were okay and the movie didn't drag on much past two hours. But almost everything other reviewers have liked about the movie annoyed or, worse, bored me. Your mileage ....

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Nov 2017, 15:32

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Nov 2017, 17:17

Mo wrote:
06 Nov 2017, 15:32
X-Men may join the MCU.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-ce ... urces.html
Yeah, it's super preliminary though.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Nov 2017, 13:10

So I finally got to see Thor:Ragnarok the other day. I enjoyed the hell out of it in a "This was the best Guardians of the Galaxy movie yet" kind of way, but the whole time I felt like it was a missed opportunity and even a serious misstep in the way DAR describes.

I never read the comic books for various reasons, so I can't speak to whether zany Thor has any grounding in canon, but in the films he has always been either immature-and-irresponsible-and-boastful/prideful Beowulf from the Grendel bit, or sober I have to be strong kind-of-brooding Beowulf-vs-the-dragon Beowulf, but never the just fratbro parody we got this time. Had he been overserious fish-out-of-water it might have worked a bit better. Dunno.

Still, two beers and it was a fun ride.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL