Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

Hugh Akston

Re: Fragments of an avotoast anthropology

Post by Hugh Akston » 11 Aug 2017, 12:24

'If there is hope,' wrote Winston, 'it lies in Generation X.'
The members of the in-between generation have moved through life squeezed fore and aft, with these tremendous populations pressing on either side, demanding we grow up and move away, or grow old and die—get out, delete your account, kill yourself. But it’s become clear to me that if this nation has any chance of survival, of carrying its traditions deep into the 21st century, it will in no small part depend on members of my generation, Generation X, the last Americans schooled in the old manner, the last Americans that know how to fold a newspaper, take a joke, and listen to a dirty story without losing their minds.
Irony and a keen sense of dread are what make Generation X the last great hope, with its belief that, even if you could tell other people what to say and what not to say, even if you could tell them how to live, even if you could enforce those rules through social pressure and public shaming, why would you want to? I mean, it’s just so uncool.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Aug 2017, 19:28

Which was more damaging to the arts: Gen-X's dopey obsession with "authenticity", or Millennial obsession with phony moral virtue?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Aug 2017, 19:51

i just tried watching the trailer for empire records so...both are terrible.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Aug 2017, 21:27

I'm an anti authenticity xer and I'd say phony moral virtue has more traction outside of a narrow hipster type band that obsessed about authenticity. It's worse for that reason.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 14 Aug 2017, 10:26

dbcooper wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 19:28
Which was more damaging to the arts: Gen-X's dopey obsession with "authenticity", or Millennial obsession with phony moral virtue?
I'd say millennials are obsessed with both, and have an inflated sense of their own accomplishments and importance, a la boomers, so millennials as a whole are much worse.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Mar 2018, 12:13

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Mar 2018, 13:31

Preach canadian brothers. They are high earners with favorable market conditions but they are doing every single thing right to build wealth early and coast on compounding over time. Also, no kids, but house and car are forces of destruction far beyond what they are given credit for.

nicole

Post by nicole » 13 Mar 2018, 14:18

At first I was like wait, if I have $500k I can retire? But then I saw that it was actually $1 million and also that they are only going to be living a $40k/year lifestyle forever and...it's a lot less attractive.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Mar 2018, 14:22

nicole wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 14:18
At first I was like wait, if I have $500k I can retire? But then I saw that it was actually $1 million and also that they are only going to be living a $40k/year lifestyle forever and...it's a lot less attractive.
You can bump that to $60k/year fairly easy with a side hustle. Which I guess would just be a hustle.
JasonL wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 13:31
Also, no kids, but house and car are forces of destruction far beyond what they are given credit for.
I can see how you could burn cash in your car, but I think the value of personal transportation can pay its own way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Mar 2018, 14:40

I've never lived in a place where going carless was even a feasible option, if you wanted to live an ordinary non-recluse life.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Mar 2018, 15:14

Think not “no house, no car” necessarily, but more like “sharply limited house/rent and transportation costs when young”.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Mar 2018, 16:22

When you don't work, your transportation costs go down.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Mar 2018, 17:15

If they lived in America rather than Canada they'd also have to budget for their health insurance premiums, which would increase their monthly minimum outlay.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 21:00

If inflation ever rises above 2% or the market eats it, they’re kinda screwed. Retiring on $40k a year withdrawals from a $1M doesn’t leave a lot of room for white swans, let alone black ones.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Mar 2018, 22:49

They quit too soon for security yes. They aren’t worried about medical savings which US people should. But they are closer to being exactly where you’d want to be than most people.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 23:34

JasonL wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 22:49
They quit too soon for security yes. They aren’t worried about medical savings which US people should. But they are closer to being exactly where you’d want to be than most people.
For their age, they're way ahead of 98% of folks (with $1M in the bank). It's the stopping that's bonkers.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Jul 2018, 11:41

At its sale price of $289,000, their three-storey townhouse cost around a quarter of what it would in their old stomping grounds of Shaw – a historically black neighborhood where median home prices have more than quintupled since 1995, making it one of DC’s fastest-appreciating real estate markets in recent years.

They haven’t made new friends yet and Charla misses her old ones in the city, whom she now drives half an hour just to meet for brunch. She doesn’t expect to be doing it long.

Most of her friends are still single and they give her no grief for leaving. “I was lucky,” she says of meeting Brian as an undergrad. “When they find someone, they’ll be out in the suburbs too.”

Suburban life may be once again in ascendance, as millennials, pushed away from exorbitant city prices and finally able to afford their first houses, are rediscovering suburbs’ spacious charms.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ban-exodus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Jul 2018, 12:24

This maps to my local friends/acquaintances in the late 20’s demo. 4 recent cases of moving. 3 to burbs 1 to city. Once they had to write the check it was just hard to justify despite 3 years prior being never burbs people.

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Jul 2018, 12:32

Yeah. Dubs says a lot of the slightly-younger-than-us dudes he does BJJ with are in the phase of either moving or wanting to move to the suburbs, sometimes complaining about various urban annoyances and all saying they want more space. A young couple among our new neighbors here, in a condo in the building next door, were saying the same thing. We have not followed that path, obviously. (We did talk about it.)

There's also a couple here now that I work with, a couple years younger than us, and they happened to buy at the same time we did this spring (I found out right after they closed and we were about to). They also bought in the city, but also quite different from us, they bought new construction, and a detached house. And she said her husband was totally all "I don't want to share walls with people anymore."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 26 Jul 2018, 12:53

Once you've walked around the yard naked, you can't go back.

nicole

Post by nicole » 26 Jul 2018, 13:09

Dangerman wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 12:53
Ha but I grew up in suburbs where you could NEVER do this.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jul 2018, 13:52

nicole wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 13:09
Dangerman wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 12:53
Ha but I grew up in suburbs where you could NEVER do this.
Yeah. The Mrs. Kravitz's would be on 911 before you made it across the deck.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Jul 2018, 14:16

A three story townhouse is not our parent's suburbia. Bowie was just barely our parents suburbia. (it has its own minor league baseball team)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jul 2018, 14:26

But you do get that hybrid city/faux redneck thing in the bowie area so that's worth.... Uh
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 26 Jul 2018, 14:50

dhex wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:26
But you do get that hybrid city/faux redneck thing in the bowie area so that's worth.... Uh
I thought that was Carroll County. Cause they are really try-hard rednecks there.

More and more of the suburb construction is attached homes. That's where the profit's at: You can put in 3 times the homes at 80% of the price per unit.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."