The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Regarding the late Powers Boothe, I liked his Philip Marlowe in the 1980s HBO miniseries. Also, the shows hewed closely to the original stories and captured, albeit with a touch of parody, Chandler's Noir L.A.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Regarding the late Powers Boothe, I liked his Philip Marlowe in the 1980s HBO miniseries. Also, the shows hewed closely to the original stories and captured, albeit with a touch of parody, Chandler's Noir L.A.
Ooh, will have to check those out.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Warren wrote:Say db, have you ever seen Tampopo? Just curious what your take would be.
Nope, but it's now on the list.
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Regarding the late Powers Boothe, I liked his Philip Marlowe in the 1980s HBO miniseries. Also, the shows hewed closely to the original stories and captured, albeit with a touch of parody, Chandler's Noir L.A.
I remember those from my childhood. My dad was a big fan. I don't recall specifics, but whenever someone mentions noir of that genre, the world I picture is less Maltese Falcon and more HBO's Phillip Marlowe.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
JD

Post by JD »

I saw a revival of Near Darkat a theater the other night and really loved it. I can only describe it as "grimy vampire Western" - kind of Lost Boys meets Natural Born Killers. And it stars Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen, and Jenette Goldstein, and was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who also did The Hurt Locker!
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

JD wrote:I saw a revival of Near Darkat a theater the other night and really loved it. I can only describe it as "grimy vampire Western" - kind of Lost Boys meets Natural Born Killers. And it stars Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen, and Jenette Goldstein, and was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who also did The Hurt Locker!
Best American vampire movie, except maybe for Only Lovers Left Alive, and that may not be 'Merican Enuf. Definitely not thematically.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
JD wrote:I saw a revival of Near Darkat a theater the other night and really loved it. I can only describe it as "grimy vampire Western" - kind of Lost Boys meets Natural Born Killers. And it stars Bill Paxton, Lance Henriksen, and Jenette Goldstein, and was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, who also did The Hurt Locker!
Best American vampire movie, except maybe for Only Lovers Left Alive, and that may not be 'Merican Enuf. Definitely not thematically.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

I seem to remember Ravenous was pretty enjoyable, and was *quasi*-vampirish.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

dead_elvis wrote:I seem to remember Ravenous was pretty enjoyable, and was *quasi*-vampirish.
Wendigos ain't vampires.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

That one in alaska wasn't too bad.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

It's a really good movie. Definitely the best US vampire movie. Same screenwriter as The Hitcher (who may be a lunatic).

Hopefully the revival means a decent blu-ray release is on its way.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Watching Kinsey. Neeson as Data wanting to become a real, fully functional boy isn't remotely convincing.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

dbcooper wrote:Watching Kinsey. Neeson as Data wanting to become a real, fully functional boy isn't remotely convincing.
Also he's way too old to play a mid-twenties virgin. He's about 40(?) and playing an awkward young nerd who just wants to fuck, but looks like a 40 year old prude. Come on!
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I mean shit, he would just want to nut! He would have the instinct.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Yeah, this movie is garbage.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:I seem to remember Ravenous was pretty enjoyable, and was *quasi*-vampirish.
Wendigos ain't vampires.
Indeed. I had it stuck in my memory as a vampire movie, but google was *mostly* saying cannibals; In my memory's defense, Ebert's review starts off with:
Of course a vampire is simply a cannibal with good table manners
and ends with:
"Ravenous'' is clever in the way it avoids most of the cliches of the vampire movie by using cannibalism, and most of the cliches of the cannibal movie by using vampirism.
and this site at least considered it close enough to be a question:

http://taliesinttlg.blogspot.com/2015/1 ... enous.html
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Well the first episode of the new Twin Peaks was very Mulholland Drive.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

dbcooper wrote:Well the first episode of the new Twin Peaks was very Mulholland Drive.
That would be a recommendation from my point of view.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
thoreau

Re: The son of

Post by thoreau »

Kolohe wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Well the first episode of the new Twin Peaks was very Mulholland Drive.
That would be a recommendation from my point of view.
If it has that one scene with Naomi Watts and Laura Harring I'll be in my bunk...
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Sounds like this year's Cannes selection is pretty dire. They seem to have really embraced film's irrelevance.

It's also amusing, in an eye-rolling way, listening to a bunch of wanky film critics talk about how an experimental, non-narative Agnes Varda "film" is "profoundly democratic".
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

All I keep seeing about Cannes is the dust up over Netflix movies not following their goofy theater rules.
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Painboy wrote:All I keep seeing about Cannes is the dust up over Netflix movies not following their goofy theater rules.
Yeah, that's probably the only thing newsworthy this year, and a motivation behind my "embracing irrelevance" comment.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Notably, Netflix seems to be following the US theater rules for the Oscars.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

I guess the other thing of note is that there are quite a lot fewer screenings this year, as all require tight, airport style, security, which is expensive and a real pain ...
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

An idiot on Twin Peaks wrote:The violence against women in the first two episodes, especially in comparison to what was experienced by men, stands out as perhaps the most antiquated element of the new series--a series we’re looking forward to following, but hoping that it remembers women deserve as much a chance to be heroes as men.
Shut up, you baby.