Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: Mo's moderately interesting sci/tech thread

Post by Warren » 03 Sep 2015, 23:41

Kolohe wrote:Since it's killing Crown of Thorns starfish, would one call this a Pilate program?
harumph
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 04 Sep 2015, 00:11

Do you wash your hands of that joke?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 04 Sep 2015, 13:45

I will deny it three times, times if need be.

Also, does a joke need a punchline to rise above punhood?

JD

Post by JD » 06 Oct 2015, 18:06

There's a new bio-remediation project on the Gowanus Canal - specifically, a phyto-remediation project in which floating drums of plants are being used to absorb pollutants. For those not familiar with NYC geography, the Gowanus is a small waterway that for a long time was used as an industrial dumping site and for sewage overflow, leaving it both unsafe and really smelly.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Oct 2015, 18:10

JD wrote:There's a new bio-remediation project on the Gowanus Canal - specifically, a phyto-remediation project in which floating drums of plants are being used to absorb pollutants. For those not familiar with NYC geography, the Gowanus is a small waterway that for a long time was used as an industrial dumping site and for sewage overflow, leaving it both unsafe and really smelly.
And a fucking expensive area if they clean it up.

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Oct 2015, 20:29

even without cleaning it up it's an incredibly expensive area. and the smell is overwhelmingly bad (i used to live in the area back when) even during the winter. the water is slightly green, oily, and gurgles.

and people kayak in it!

eta: also a dolphin died in it once. not a joke.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Oct 2015, 01:45

dhex wrote:even without cleaning it up it's an incredibly expensive area. and the smell is overwhelmingly bad (i used to live in the area back when) even during the winter. the water is slightly green, oily, and gurgles.

and people kayak in it!

eta: also a dolphin died in it once. not a joke.
Dolphins die everywhere. It's their way of protesting if you don't let them rape you.

Seriously, Flipper's a fucking asshole.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Nov 2015, 11:23

[urlhttps://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/f ... story.html]FDA approves genetically engineered salmon[/url].
According to AquaBounty, the advantages of the fish, which will be grown in inland facilities in Canada and Panama, are that it reaches market weight in about half the time taken by conventional salmon, and requires 25 percent less feed to get there.
The escape issue is critical, as escaped fish could outcompete or interbreed with native fish, and AquaBounty says it has several layers of safeguards to prevent this. The fish are raised in land-based, contained facilities, and the fish grown for food (as opposed to breeding) are all female, and sterile.
Where have I heard that before?
Some retailers have already expressed reservations. A few supermarket chains, including Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, have pledged not to sell the salmon, and others, like Safeway and Kroger, have issued less definitive statements indicating that they’re not planning to stock the fish. The 2014 Safeway statement, for example, says that, “we are not considering nor do we have any plans to carry GE salmon.”
::sigh::
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Nov 2015, 13:39

Hugh Akston wrote:
The escape issue is critical, as escaped fish could outcompete or interbreed with native fish, and AquaBounty says it has several layers of safeguards to prevent this. The fish are raised in land-based, contained facilities, and the fish grown for food (as opposed to breeding) are all female, and sterile.
Hugh Akston wrote:
Some retailers have already expressed reservations. A few supermarket chains, including Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, have pledged not to sell the salmon, and others, like Safeway and Kroger, have issued less definitive statements indicating that they’re not planning to stock the fish. The 2014 Safeway statement, for example, says that, “we are not considering nor do we have any plans to carry GE salmon.”
::sigh::
That's because they haven't seen the MSRP yet. Greed also finds a way.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Nov 2015, 14:19

The fact that any grocer who carries GM fish will be surrounded by several thousand 'green' protesters probably deters stores from stocking it as well.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Nov 2015, 14:28

Aresen wrote:The fact that any grocer who carries GM fish will be surrounded by several thousand 'green' protesters probably deters stores from stocking it as well.
Well, technically, it doesn't have to be labeled as such, per the FDA, but they'll know which brands have it. I say step off, assholes, I'll take my salmon 10% cheaper.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Nov 2015, 14:35

Highway wrote:
Aresen wrote:The fact that any grocer who carries GM fish will be surrounded by several thousand 'green' protesters probably deters stores from stocking it as well.
Well, technically, it doesn't have to be labeled as such, per the FDA...
Yeah, about that.
http://www.akbizmag
.com/Government/Murkowskis-Frankenfish-Labeling-Provision-Passes-Committee/
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 20 Nov 2015, 14:54

The Slate article I linked in the other thread makes the pretty good point that it's not just the true-believer anti-GMO folks against AquaBounty. It's also the salmon fishing industry pushing anti-competition stuff, which is a lot less sympathetic, I'd think.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 20 Nov 2015, 14:59

Oh absolutely. From the local perspective, farmed fish of any stripe is an anathema. Let's not discuss Barents sea king crab either.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 20 Nov 2015, 15:11

Hugh Akston wrote:FDA approves genetically engineered salmon.
According to AquaBounty, the advantages of the fish, which will be grown in inland facilities in Canada and Panama, are that it reaches market weight in about half the time taken by conventional salmon, and requires 25 percent less feed to get there.
It appears your skepticism is warranted, if I understand you correctly, and I'm not sure I do. From the article:
Consumers Union...expresses concern that the sterilization process isn’t 100 percent successful. (That’s true; the FDA requires that the rate be at least 95 percent, and AquaBounty chief executive Ron Stotish says that rates, in practice, are generally over 99 percent.)
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Nov 2015, 23:46

Long John Silver's, McDonald's, and the like, aren't going to give a fuck and neither are their customers.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 21 Nov 2015, 01:06

Painboy wrote:
Long John Silver's, McDonald's, and the like, aren't going to give a fuck and neither are their customers.
Those guys don't serve salmon, though.

If anyone still eats at Red Lobster by the time this actually gets to market...
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 21 Nov 2015, 09:46

lunchstealer wrote:
Painboy wrote:

They don't serve salmon probably because the profit margin doesn't exist. Lower the input cost and maybe it does.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Nov 2015, 10:21

And the protesters will last about a week
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Nov 2015, 10:23

Mo wrote:And the protesters will last about a week
They might be able to stick it out a little longer if they got more protein.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Nov 2015, 11:16

lunchstealer wrote:
Painboy wrote:

I've had salmon at Long John Silver's.
Ain't nothing wrong with Red Lobster.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Nov 2015, 11:32

Highway wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Painboy wrote:

They don't serve salmon probably because the profit margin doesn't exist. Lower the input cost and maybe it does.
That was what I was going for. Could even be a seasonal thing like the McRib.

Of course I'm not up on what can and cannot be done with salmon as I have never found a preparation where I particularly liked it.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Nov 2015, 20:42

The fishing industry will subsidize them longer than that.

Plus, that is less than the amount of time it takes a major chain to cave.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Nov 2015, 23:40

Aresen wrote:
The fishing industry will subsidize them longer than that.

Plus, that is less than the amount of time it takes a major chain to cave.
I don't think so. By the time it's a menu item they've already invested in megatons. They won't walk away till they empty the pipeline.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Nov 2015, 09:17

Painboy wrote:
Highway wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
Painboy wrote:

That was what I was going for. Could even be a seasonal thing like the McRib.

Of course I'm not up on what can and cannot be done with salmon as I have never found a preparation where I particularly liked it.
I don't know what to say to that Jadagainboy
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex