The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 10:32
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 23:37
I get a kick sometimes out of the names these things get. Maybe I'm wrong, but I kinda doubt Jefferson ever wore wingtips.
Thomas or George?
Well we're movin on up....
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake »

So I've got a meeting at the White House next week (really!). I really want this "changing landscape of suits" thing to mean I can show up in jeans and a Star Wars t-shirt, but I suspect I'm gonna need to wear a suit and tie anyhow.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren »

Jake wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 11:47
So I've got a meeting at the White House next week (really!). I really want this "changing landscape of suits" thing to mean I can show up in jeans and a Star Wars t-shirt, but I suspect I'm gonna need to wear a suit and tie anyhow.
Pew Pew Pew
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I thought nowadays you are only supposed to wear a suit if you're not the one in power. Presumably to establish yourself as the most powerful person in the room, you should be naked.
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Warren

Post by Warren »

Ellie wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 12:08
I thought nowadays you are only supposed to wear a suit if you're not the one in power. Presumably to establish yourself as the most powerful person in the room, you should be naked.
Suit, tie, socks, shoes, and nothing else.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Ellie wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 12:08
well the birthday suit is a pretty powerful suit, you're still not as powerful as someone who takes off their birthday suit.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex »

I'm in the minority here but I view novelty ties with tremendous suspicion.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

dhex wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 13:02
As a general rule, if it doesn't look like you bought it at Brooks Brothers, I agree. I'm rather fond, however, of some of those extraordinarily garish ties that were in fashion in the 40s and 50s and have been known to wear one of the few such vintage ties I've acquired over the years now and then. Otherwise, painted ties of any sort and holiday ties immediately remind my of one of my favorite P.G. Wodehouse lines: Bertie, "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?" Jeeves, "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 14:11
dhex wrote:
As a general rule, if it doesn't look like you bought it at Brooks Brothers, I agree. I'm rather fond, however, of some of those extraordinarily garish ties that were in fashion in the 40s and 50s and have been known to wear one of the few such vintage ties I've acquired over the years now and then. Otherwise, painted ties of any sort and holiday ties immediately remind my of one of my favorite P.G. Wodehouse lines: Bertie, "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?" Jeeves, "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."
One of the Fry/Laurie ones had Jeeves literally have to leave the room in dismay after seeing on of Bertie's friends wearing a tie with 'little horseshoes on it. One is simply not prepared for such things.'

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

dhex wrote:
They are awful.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JasonL wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 18:19
dhex wrote:
They are awful.
I had a roommate with a Starry Night tie in college, but that was college, and even he knew not to do that at for-reals coat-and-tie events. I have an Escher tie but I don't think I've ever worn it. Don't recall if it was a gift or if I impulse-bought it thinking I'd wear it to the same kinds of things, but didn't. The 90s were a time of garish ties, so there are a couple in my collection that I'd never think of wearing again.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Were I invited to the White House under the current administration, I'd definitely wear one of those parody Trump ties that's about eight feet long. Even Jeeves would probably approve.

dhex

Post by dhex »

Yeah that'd be good. Very shiny red tie down to the balls.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I think what you're calling "novelty ties" I hold in disdain. But I do like very colorful non-conservative ties.

I have this lovely hypersaturated purple swirl tie that I like and wear whenever it matches the outfit. Which is rarely.

nicole

Post by nicole »

I’m a big Thomas Pink proponent
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

TIL why you don't spend $90 on a shirt. When they rip, they are worth exactly as much as a $25 ripped shirt.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 12:18
TIL why you don't spend $90 on a shirt. When they rip, they are worth exactly as much as a $25 ripped shirt.
I think they're worth less actually. Or perhaps actually worthless. Because if you rip a $25 shirt, you can sew/patch it and still wear it around the house. But you're not going to wear a $90 dress shirt around the house, and you're not going to wear a ripped $90 dress shirt out of the house. So it's a rag.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I'm not opposed to spending money on good clothing, but by far the best value for the money in basic dress shirts I've ever found are the Lands End Hyde Park button-down oxford cloth shirts. They're not as good as they used to be, but then I don't buy many dress shirts these days, anyway. Back in the day, they were made with significantly heavier cloth and sewn as well as, say, the same type shirt from Brooks Bros. for considerably less.

Once upon a time, Lands End and Jos E Banks were the poor man's Brooks Brothers. The quality was high and the prices were reasonable. Well, nothing's forever and now they're on a par with J Crew and similar cut-rate and shoddy "preppy" clothes. But the Hyde Park shirts remain a good value even if the cloth isn't as heavy as it used to be and the tailoring isn't as careful as it used to be.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Hugh Akston wrote:
Okay, Bruce Banner. ;)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Ellie wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 13:46
Hugh Akston wrote:
Okay, Bruce Banner. ;)
The worst part is finding a shirt at any price that goes with purple pants.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 12:55
I'm not opposed to spending money on good clothing, but by far the best value for the money in basic dress shirts I've ever found are the Lands End Hyde Park button-down oxford cloth shirts. They're not as good as they used to be, but then I don't buy many dress shirts these days, anyway. Back in the day, they were made with significantly heavier cloth and sewn as well as, say, the same type shirt from Brooks Bros. for considerably less.

Once upon a time, Lands End and Jos E Banks were the poor man's Brooks Brothers. The quality was high and the prices were reasonable. Well, nothing's forever and now they're on a par with J Crew and similar cut-rate and shoddy "preppy" clothes. But the Hyde Park shirts remain a good value even if the cloth isn't as heavy as it used to be and the tailoring isn't as careful as it used to be.
Significantly heavier cloth is a major downside, though! I'm always looking for the lightest cloth I can get in my shirts.

It reduces the lifespan but it makes them so much nicer and more pleasant to wear. (Especially in Los Angeles.)

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I had a Hamilton wristwatch for a long time that I liked very much because it was small (38mm diameter) and unobtrusive, but the quartz movement finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago, so it went lying in in a dresser drawer ever since. I could have replaced it, of course, but the Hamilton brand has just enough lower-than-luxury cache that I'd be looking at $400 or more and I have other perfectly serviceable watches. Plus, and I can't explain why but this is a thing, they started calling that line of watches "Khaki" and putting that word on the dial and I just don't like it.

So I stumbled across a place that sells replacement watch movements. Maybe not for a Rolex, but you know. I'm not really good with my hands but I can follow directions reasonably well. Anyway, it cost under $50, so why not give it a try? It arrived today and I've so far successfully removed the back, removed the winding stem and removed the old movement from the case. So far, so good. But the hands are far too delicate for me to be able to remove without a special tool, which I of course don't have. So now I'm going to have to buy that special tool and I'm figuratively kicking myself for not having done so in the first place. It's only another $20 and if I can get this watch back up and running for under $100 I'll consider it well worth it. So, we'll see.

Odd thing about the movement, it has a day and date wheel on the front but the watch dial has no openings to show the day or date. So now I have a small mystery. Has that wheel been turning all along or was it just cheaper to slap them on all their movements but there's no actual mechanism to move it?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 19:19
I had a Hamilton wristwatch for a long time that I liked very much because it was small (38mm diameter) and unobtrusive, but the quartz movement finally gave up the ghost a couple of years ago, so it went lying in in a dresser drawer ever since. I could have replaced it, of course, but the Hamilton brand has just enough lower-than-luxury cache that I'd be looking at $400 or more and I have other perfectly serviceable watches. Plus, and I can't explain why but this is a thing, they started calling that line of watches "Khaki" and putting that word on the dial and I just don't like it.

So I stumbled across a place that sells replacement watch movements. Maybe not for a Rolex, but you know. I'm not really good with my hands but I can follow directions reasonably well. Anyway, it cost under $50, so why not give it a try? It arrived today and I've so far successfully removed the back, removed the winding stem and removed the old movement from the case. So far, so good. But the hands are far too delicate for me to be able to remove without a special tool, which I of course don't have. So now I'm going to have to buy that special tool and I'm figuratively kicking myself for not having done so in the first place. It's only another $20 and if I can get this watch back up and running for under $100 I'll consider it well worth it. So, we'll see.

Odd thing about the movement, it has a day and date wheel on the front but the watch dial has no openings to show the day or date. So now I have a small mystery. Has that wheel been turning all along or was it just cheaper to slap them on all their movements but there's no actual mechanism to move it?
You couldn't take it to a jeweler to repair it? They'd have the tool.

My dad got a Hamilton at his 25th year of employment, but he was picky about watches and had one he liked so he passed it to me. It was gold (plated) the face said I. E. duPont de Nemours & Company, so it was a little gaudy, but with a metal mesh band and the thinnest/lightest body I've had in any watch, it was incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately the clasp was a little finicky and it came off one night and I didn't notice it until we'd been a few places, and I couldn't find it. But ever since I haven't found a reasonable dress watch in my price range that's anywhere near as comfortable - most are just too heavy and bulky, or perhaps that was just the style in the mid-aughts the last time I tried.

If I could get that watch back - especially in a more neutral silver tone - I would probably be more likely to wear a watch regularly.

Warren

Post by Warren »

You people. Wearing watches in 2020.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote:
16 Jun 2020, 11:57
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 19:19

You couldn't take it to a jeweler to repair it? They'd have the tool.

My dad got a Hamilton at his 25th year of employment, but he was picky about watches and had one he liked so he passed it to me. It was gold (plated) the face said I. E. duPont de Nemours & Company, so it was a little gaudy, but with a metal mesh band and the thinnest/lightest body I've had in any watch, it was incredibly comfortable. Unfortunately the clasp was a little finicky and it came off one night and I didn't notice it until we'd been a few places, and I couldn't find it. But ever since I haven't found a reasonable dress watch in my price range that's anywhere near as comfortable - most are just too heavy and bulky, or perhaps that was just the style in the mid-aughts the last time I tried.

If I could get that watch back - especially in a more neutral silver tone - I would probably be more likely to wear a watch regularly.
An honest-to-god horologist would have the tools and could do it in a minute but would charge me more than it's worth. Many jewelers' expertise ends at replacing batteries. Even the best quartz movements are relatively cheap and therefore easier and cheaper to replace than repair, which is why I'm giving it a shot. I know I'd ruin the hands if I tried it without the tool, but the tool isn't all that expensive and is certainly cheaper than getting a professional to do the job.

Sorry you lost your dad's watch. I don't know what your price range is but my sense is that there are broadly three categories of watch price points: disposable watches costing $100 or less, upscale watches with some name or fashion cache ranging from $500 to over $1000 and luxury watches, e.g., Omega, Rolex, Patek Philippe, etc. where the entry point even at discount for a new watch is $5000 and up. You can find a decent dress watch in the middle price range if that's not too much for you to spend.

You'd probably be able to hunt down a comparable watch to your dad's presentation watch. There's a huge market. Plus these days if you're not a stickler for authenticity, you can get a mechanical watch with good to excellent outside condition and have the movement replaced with a quartz movement.

I'm sure many here don't get why I or anyone would want a good watch, especially these days, and I feel roughly the same about collectors. I like nice personal effects of the sort a man would own 50 to 100 years ago and I'm willing to splurge occasionally to own one or two such items. So I've got, for example, two nice fountain pens though these days I just don't use pens of any sort very often. But people who own a dozen or more luxury watches just strike me as batshit crazy. *shrug*