The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by JasonL » 23 May 2019, 09:45

I don’t think you could find any list of classic sneakers going 5 or more deep that didn’t include the Stan Smith.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 May 2019, 11:56

Mo wrote:
23 May 2019, 09:43
JasonL wrote:
23 May 2019, 09:34
GTFO Stan Smith whites are classics.
Classic dad shoes. ;)
Those are not New Balance. Refuted.

Unless New Balance are now granddad shoes.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2019, 16:04

I'm confused on how "well dressed" = sneakers but that's just me I guess.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 May 2019, 16:24

Kwix wrote:
23 May 2019, 16:04
I'm confused on how "well dressed" = sneakers but that's just me I guess.
You are not alone
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 May 2019, 17:08

You don't know the difference between casual, business, evening and formal? I bet you wear a tuxedo during the day.

The appropriateness of the apparel to the activity, and the iconography of the apparel, are what makes you well-dressed. And all the critics here were pretty silent when I asked for suggestions, but since I need more shoes, this is your time to shine.

Show me your picks or STFU.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 May 2019, 17:09

I don't have the patience to do a whole glowing brain enlightenment meme, but something like:

No Awareness - shoes are shoes - flip flops and new balance and cargo shorts ahoy
Some Awareness - gym shoes are for the gym or weekend sloppy dress, stylish shoes are dress shoes
High Awareness - there's a set of sneakers that are high style and entirely different from "I'm actually going to the gym". Gym shoes are for the gym, stylish sneakers or trainers or whatever are for dressing up your casual look and increasingly corporate casual.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2019, 17:24

Dangerman wrote:
23 May 2019, 17:08
And all the critics here were pretty silent when I asked for suggestions, but since I need more shoes, this is your time to shine.
I was silent because sneakers are a shit look. Here's my suggestion if you're going to go casual, do so with taste that's not following after a hip hop star. But if that's your gig I'll defer to people like JasonL who seem to have a nuanced opinion on what brand of crappy swoosh looks best with pants.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 May 2019, 17:29

If you're wearing any sort of athletic shoes with any sort of non-jeans long pants, even or maybe especially if they're khakis, you're probably a high school teacher, most likely math or gym.

Aside from their value while doing something, you know, athletic (even including walking for exercise), athletic shoes are about fashion, not style.

My probably great-granddad idea of sneakers (I'd rather waste my money on a new set of speakers...) goes roughly as follows: low cut Chucks, high-top Chucks, whatever is the most comfortable and reasonably priced shoe without any endorsements or day-glow trim at some discount store.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 May 2019, 17:35

And now for something completely different, my wife actually didn't remember to ask me not to wear the madras sports coat at our son's graduation tomorrow. However, because there's likely to be expensive cigar smoking on a hot day at some outdoor locale, I'm going with the seersucker suit, instead. The following day we drive down to Houston for a wedding of a good friend of our older son. They invited us out of courtesy, but I decided to accept so I could spend some more time with the person who seems increasingly likely to be our daughter-in-law someday. Beyond that, no one knows or cares about us, so I'll wear dressy khakis and a blue blazer.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 May 2019, 17:42

Kwix wrote:
23 May 2019, 17:24
Dangerman wrote:
And all the critics here were pretty silent when I asked for suggestions, but since I need more shoes, this is your time to shine.
I was silent because sneakers are a shit look. Here's my suggestion if you're going to go casual, do so with taste that's not following after a hip hop star. But if that's your gig I'll defer to people like JasonL who seem to have a nuanced opinion on what brand of crappy swoosh looks best with pants.
It wasn't hip hop that made the look I'm looking for, it was a certain hardcore/punk scene, and the ensuing echoes of that which reoccur in the fashion of various edge/outlaw cultures like tattoo and barbershops, graffiti and skate.

I mean, you could just show me a casual look that you think is attractive and we could talk about that?

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 May 2019, 17:45

I’m personally not a fan of sneakers and my bias is that all white tennis shoes are dad shoes. I got these as my casual/nice rubber soled lace ups.

https://www.trouva.com/products/maians- ... gKmJ_D_BwE

And the lace up version of these

http://www.thatchamwriters.co.uk/cheap- ... p-193.html

Though admittedly the price I paid was way lower than this because I got them in Spain
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 May 2019, 17:48

I like the second pair for a beach trip, but the texture on the soles of the first pair look like LL Bean Boots.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 May 2019, 17:59

I've been rocking these. I think they're a nice blend between sneaker and leather shoe. Very comfy too.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/ecco ... m8QAvD_BwE

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 23 May 2019, 18:22

I wear a pair of black Altra Escalante running shoes at the office 3 days a week along with jeans. No one has asked me yet to go home and change.

https://www.rei.com/product/138016/altr ... shoes-mens
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 May 2019, 18:23

To be fair to Warren, I am going to need to re-lace the new sneakers.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 May 2019, 18:40

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 May 2019, 18:40

Kwix wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the wardrobe!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 May 2019, 18:57

Ellie wrote:
23 May 2019, 18:40
Kwix wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
No fight. Fashion is (very) subjective and my tastes are different than others on this thread.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 May 2019, 19:01

I'm sorry if it sounded like I got my back up. I asked for input and got it, and it's good to hear criticism.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 May 2019, 19:39

JasonL wrote:
Allbirds are nice.

https://www.allbirds.com/products/mens- ... 2233661614
OK, that's very interesting.

My only problem is that I have wide-ass duck-feet, and I see nothing about width in the sizings.

ETA: Apparently, as with other brands, just size up. So I'd end up using 11 or 12s...bleh.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 May 2019, 02:53

In general I do prefer some color on my casual sneakers. My favorite pair were a pair of green canvas Nikes from the mid-90s but I was down walking around the Dallas West End and someone stepped on the back edge of my heel as I was taking a step and the canvas tore from the heel to the ball on both sides. Green canvas lace-up flip flops were not what the doctor ordered for that day.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 May 2019, 15:51

Ellie wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Dangerman wrote:
Tow the lion witch.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 24 May 2019, 17:54

JasonL wrote:
Allbirds are nice.

https://www.allbirds.com/products/mens- ... 2233661614
I don't really like these kind. It just looks like someone took a tennis shoe and made it out of wool. So it just looks like a weird tennis shoe to me. Of course judging by how many people I've seen with these that's not a popular opinion.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Sep 2019, 06:16

Guys while looking for knockabout suits last week in scenic dover DE I found a very sturdy suit coat and I flip open the label. It's a Zegna. Not z Zegna but from the regular line. In my size.

The fuck dover DE?

Discretely google the label to make sure I'm not nuts.

Fits well. Feels almost heavy. Sturdy. Con fuerte.

OK ask the poor 14 year old clerk my son is harassing (e.g. "what goes well with a green shirt? Orange ties? Do you have orange ties?) for a price check. Price is right - too right.

OK so where are the pants?

Hahahahajahahahajahahajahahaha they can't find it.

The suit was a bit much - a blue check that lived south of gaudy - but I have an absurd Zegna tie I thrifted a bunch of years ago on the UES and I mean it would have been fun.

ETA MOST IMPORTANT PART THIS WAS AT A FUCKING MEN'S WEARHOUSE IN DOVER DELAWARE
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 20 Sep 2019, 07:02

Your son is quite the joker.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex