The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Andrew

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by Andrew » 22 Dec 2017, 16:06

Kolohe wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 15:39
I don't like it frankly.
Does it gall you?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Dec 2017, 17:08

I thought it was salian't.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Dec 2017, 17:13

lunchstealer wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 15:45
It's a bit like Hemorrhage's mustache but if you're gonna go there, own it.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Dec 2017, 17:43

Dangerman wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 17:13
lunchstealer wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 15:45
It's a bit like Hemorrhage's mustache but if you're gonna go there, own it.
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's genius unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
Is that a raincoat?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 26 Jan 2018, 23:20

I went to a tailor and got measured for shirts. I wish I had done that years ago. It would've probably saved me all kinds of back/shoulder pain. And money.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Mar 2018, 16:20

What makes a shoe a loafer, and, by today's standard, (as innovative or degenerate as it may be) can they worn for business but not formal?

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Mar 2018, 16:42

Dangerman wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 16:20
What makes a shoe a loafer, and, by today's standard, (as innovative or degenerate as it may be) can they worn for business but not formal?
Broadly, any shoe without shoe laces (or, I'm sorry to have to include, Velcro straps) is a loafer. Using that definition, there are loafers that are acceptable for business attire, albeit not the most conservative sort of business attire, and in fact patent leather slip on shoes are the 'preferred' shoe for actual formal wear. That said, I've always found that a good pair of well shined black oxfords go perfectly well with a dinner jacket.

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Mar 2018, 20:54

I wouldn’t consider a monk strap a loafer
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Mar 2018, 23:40

Mo wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 20:54
I wouldn’t consider a monk strap a loafer
Maybe not. I strongly dislike monk strap shoes, didn't consider them and wouldn't wear them to a dog fight. But to each....

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Mar 2018, 08:36

Single monk ftw. Double monk starts looking Keebler esque

dhex

Post by dhex » 14 Mar 2018, 09:13

I like both but they're not loafers. Dubs are good for upping the casual formality of a suit. With jeans they signal a certain kind of creepy divorced dad aesthetic.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Mar 2018, 09:54

I feel like my pant cuff would hide the 2nd strap on a pair of doubles, but there does seem to be an uncanny divide where the double strap begins to look like a Lands' End water shoe.

I'm going to try and find it, but I saw a double strap with a derby sole that would take years off your life.

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Mar 2018, 10:02

I have these and they are gorgeous and not at all Keeblery.

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Mar 2018, 10:09

Those are handsome, and I'd wear them if I had more occasions for black shoes.

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Mar 2018, 10:37

The come in brown and suede, which is even less practical. BTW, I got my C&Js from here and they were way cheaper than anywhere else. Looks like their supplies are limited now though.

http://plal.com/store/index.php?page=crockett-and-jones

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Mar 2018, 11:29

:lol:
Team DAR
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Mar 2018, 11:36

I have Alden Adamses in black
IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1538.JPG (107.64 KiB) Viewed 573 times

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Mar 2018, 11:44

And how do you tie your cravat?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Mar 2018, 11:50

Warren wrote:And how do you tie your cravat?
How should Jason know? Do you pry into your valet’s business that much?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 14 Mar 2018, 13:52

Warren wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 11:29
:lol:
Team DAR
Ditto.

I mean they're fine if your 4. And a girl.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Mar 2018, 17:25

Monk straps seem like they would be unpleasant to wear over a long period, since they don't look like you could crank them really tight. I tend to like my shoes to be hugging my feet really aggressively.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Mar 2018, 18:20

Jadagul wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 17:25
Monk straps seem like they would be unpleasant to wear over a long period, since they don't look like you could crank them really tight. I tend to like my shoes to be hugging my feet really aggressively.
I will buy you a pair of concrete shoes. They'll be the last shoes you ever wear.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Mar 2018, 18:29

Warren wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 18:20
Jadagul wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 17:25
I will buy you a pair of concrete shoes. They'll be the last shoes you ever wear.
Those also don't seem like they'd be easy to tighten snugly around my feet.

Besides, I skipped over the other requirement, which is that they should be really flexible.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Mar 2018, 18:51

I slip on my monks without adjusting buckles. One buckle position in its quite tight. I’d point out that overall it’s the last - the shape mold of the toe box down to the opening - that determines fit of any kind of slip on where the opening isn’t at the top of the foot sealed by laces. My oxfords may pinch at my big toe because the last is narrow, but my monks will fit or not fit the entire length of my foot based the shape of the last.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 14 Mar 2018, 19:25

Yeah, this was an argument against all non-laced shoes, basically.

I don't just want them to fit, I want them to grip. I want them to be much tighter when I'm wearing them than would physically allow me to put them on or take them off. This is why I carry a shoehorn: I have shoes that I genuinely can't get on without it.