The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
lunchstealer

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2015, 11:05

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:By the way, for people who live in places where ice is common in winter months, how the living fuck do you wear dress shoes without dying? I can barely wear sneakers because they don't have enough tread to keep my feet under me. Dress shoes with a flat leather sole just seems like you might as well just coat them with grease for all the difference it will make to traction.

Perhaps this is related to the whole I-can't-use-Dyson-Blade-hand-dryers-or-play-Operation thing, but seriously, they seem like deathtraps.
Places that get ice all the time are good about de-icing. Places that don't get it much but get it, you just have to freak the fuck out and bunker down for a week.
Denver gets ice regularly, and de-icing is pretty common, and pretty consistent on commercial sidewalks, but unless you're just on top of it, you're not going to keep your front walk perfectly clear. Parking lots are rarely perfectly de-iced. Worst was when some dipshit neighbors renting a duplex next to my bus stop forgot to turn off the water to their sprinkler system, which sprung a leak and coated the sidewalk in two inches of slick ice. It was shaded by their house, so even in my most ice-tractiony boots I had to walk super-gingerly to get to the bus stop.

Maybe people who wear dress shoes in icy winter weather go to their attached garages, get in their SUVs, drive to work, and park in their under-ground garages to get into the office. Dunno.

When I was in Dallas, these were my cold-weather bidness casual boots:

http://redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/1 ... boot-brown

Then again - A - Texas, and - B - tech. No one wore actual dress shoes below a Director title except the salesdroids.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 02 Oct 2015, 12:43

lunchstealer wrote:What, by the way, is the purpose of the third piece in modern society?
Where the hell else does one put their monocle and pocket watch?
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 02 Oct 2015, 13:36

Jasper wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:What, by the way, is the purpose of the third piece in modern society?
Your fanny pack?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Oct 2015, 13:51

JasonL wrote:I feel like the boot should be a boot. Dress it up with clean lines and trim laces and a good polish, but the lower should look like a boot not a blucher. I also feel like shitty weather is why we have ecco. This is nice for example:

http://us.shop.ecco.com/men-boots/ecco- ... =men-dress
a boot is a boot is a boot, bruh. it's also why i have a pair of duck boots and a beat up pair of bass chelseas for shitty weather days.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2015, 14:09

tr0g wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Your fanny pack?
Whoa, dude. You took it dark really quickly there.

ETA: Jasper makes a strong point, although the counterpoint is 'If one's butler has properly trained the footmen, that's their concern, not mine.'

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Oct 2015, 14:16

lunchstealer wrote:
tr0g wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Your fanny pack?
Whoa, dude. You took it dark really quickly there.

ETA: Jasper makes a strong point, although the counterpoint is 'If one's butler has properly trained the footmen, that's their concern, not mine.'
Three pieces and monocle might be the libertarian in your minds eye, but black mock turtleneck, tucked, black or very faded blue jeans, whit e walking shoe sneakers, fanny pack and fedora are generally the reality.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Oct 2015, 15:47

I have become a convert of the slightly stretchy jeans. Not the full on skinny jeans or the yoga pants painted like jeans abomination. But the ones with some stretch are surprisingly comfortable and still look good.

I've always had to buy jeans too large so my thighs and hips had some room in them as I have kind of a squatter frame. So my jeans were always a little too baggy. If I got what my waist size actually is they would always be way too tight and uncomfortable. The stretch gives just enough so that it gives where it needs to. It isn't plastered right on your skin and still maintains nice folds in it.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Oct 2015, 16:22

Painboy wrote:I have become a convert of the slightly stretchy jeans. Not the full on skinny jeans or the yoga pants painted like jeans abomination. But the ones with some stretch are surprisingly comfortable and still look good.

I've always had to buy jeans too large so my thighs and hips had some room in them as I have kind of a squatter frame. So my jeans were always a little too baggy. If I got what my waist size actually is they would always be way too tight and uncomfortable. The stretch gives just enough so that it gives where it needs to. It isn't plastered right on your skin and still maintains nice folds in it.
Will have to explore this option. I have to get loose fitting jeans because 501s and their ilk make sitting, kneeling, squatting, and any of a number of similar movements either impossible or at least uncomfortable. I used to be able to get away with relaxed fit, but these days the only ones that I can find that give me enough butt/hip/thigh room are straight up loose-fit options.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Oct 2015, 16:28

Due to a failure of packing coordination, when we went to Europe this summer I would up with hiking pants but no jeans. Bought jeans in Amsterdam. They were stretchy, snug in the sense of leg grippy, and very long. Dude was all nobody here worries about leg fit with these, just scrunch on your calf above your shoe and you'll look great. Wife loves these jeans on me, but I am very self conscious. They are not uncomfortable other than I'm not used to the leg being that form fitting. The stretchy thing is not as bad as I thought it would be and the skinny jeans look is considerably moderated by the scrunch of extra leg above the shoe.

7.5 would do again but would also have other jeans available.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Oct 2015, 16:31

lunchstealer wrote:
Painboy wrote:I have become a convert of the slightly stretchy jeans. Not the full on skinny jeans or the yoga pants painted like jeans abomination. But the ones with some stretch are surprisingly comfortable and still look good.

Will have to explore this option. I have to get loose fitting jeans because 501s and their ilk make sitting, kneeling, squatting, and any of a number of similar movements either impossible or at least uncomfortable. I used to be able to get away with relaxed fit, but these days the only ones that I can find that give me enough butt/hip/thigh room are straight up loose-fit options.
Not to go Peak Jadagul, but (1) I've had really good luck with custom jeans from makeyourownjeans.com (also not as expensive as you'd think--like 65 including shipping)

and (2) where do I find these jeans that are plastered on? I need more pants that hug my ass.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Oct 2015, 17:14

Jadagul wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

Not to go Peak Jadagul, but (1) I've had really good luck with custom jeans from makeyourownjeans.com (also not as expensive as you'd think--like 65 including shipping)

and (2) where do I find these jeans that are plastered on? I need more pants that hug my ass.
I saw some at Nordstrom and Target. I can't wear things that close fitting. I would look ridiculous with my body shape. Definitely only for lean body types.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Oct 2015, 19:02

Painboy wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

I saw some at Nordstrom and Target. I can't wear things that close fitting. I would look ridiculous with my body shape. Definitely only for lean body types.
I got asked if I was anorexic last weekend. (I'm not--and I would like to lose a bit more weight, because I only have a four-pack, but I'm ending my diet for a while starting this weekend). But I have a nice butt and lots of girls seem to like it and like grabbing it, so I would like to continue to display it as I can.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 03 Oct 2015, 05:04

Jadagul wrote: I got asked if I was anorexic last weekend. (I'm not--and I would like to lose a bit more weight, because I only have a four-pack, but I'm ending my diet for a while starting this weekend). But I have a nice butt and lots of girls seem to like it and like grabbing it, so I would like to continue to display it as I can.
Yeah all that butt groping. Such a distraction. When will they ever stop.

So I have this mental image of your life being something along the lines of this.

Highway

Post by Highway » 03 Oct 2015, 10:27

Painboy wrote:
Jadagul wrote: I got asked if I was anorexic last weekend. (I'm not--and I would like to lose a bit more weight, because I only have a four-pack, but I'm ending my diet for a while starting this weekend). But I have a nice butt and lots of girls seem to like it and like grabbing it, so I would like to continue to display it as I can.
Yeah all that butt groping. Such a distraction. When will they ever stop.

So I have this mental image of your life being something along the lines of this.
What, with vampires and aliens and devils? That would be awesome. :)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Oct 2015, 10:53

JasonL wrote: Dude was all nobody here worries about leg fit with these, just scrunch on your calf above your shoe and you'll look great.
Please, please post a pic of this.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Oct 2015, 11:37

Jasper wrote:
JasonL wrote: Dude was all nobody here worries about leg fit with these, just scrunch on your calf above your shoe and you'll look great.
Please, please post a pic of this.
It's less material than I think you are imagining because it's fitted to the leg. The effect is really to break up skinny jeans look own the leg while still having ... other advantages to a fitted jean.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 05 Oct 2015, 11:59

C'mon, man. We just wanna see your leg with funny pants on.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Oct 2015, 12:49

Let's all post photos of ourselves wearing pants! And then also with no pants. Just to compare. *looks innocent*
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 05 Oct 2015, 20:22

lunchstealer wrote:By the way, for people who live in places where ice is common in winter months, how the living fuck do you wear dress shoes without dying? I can barely wear sneakers because they don't have enough tread to keep my feet under me. Dress shoes with a flat leather sole just seems like you might as well just coat them with grease for all the difference it will make to traction.

Perhaps this is related to the whole I-can't-use-Dyson-Blade-hand-dryers-or-play-Operation thing, but seriously, they seem like deathtraps.
I handle this with a spare pair and these.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jan 2016, 22:36

I want a pair of dressy shoes to wear to work. I like dark brown, and I typically wear them with jeans and a dress shirt.

I'm willing to spend up to $200 if they'll actually last. My current pair is almost 2 years old and has already needed a few repairs. I'm thinking of not making the next repair, and just buying new ones. If I can get something that will last 2+ years I'm willing to spend $150 or so.

Recommendations of sturdy brands?
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jan 2016, 22:38

Allen Edmonds hits the sweet spot of look, quality and timelessness. Though they're a bit higher than your price range.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Jan 2016, 23:05

Yah. Edmonds. The big jump is from glued shoes made from "corrected leather" to goodyear welted made from full grain leather. Goodyear welted shoes can be re-soled. Edmonds is the US price point leader in that kind of shoe.

ETA: I've recently heard of these guys who sell some shoes just south of the $200 mark using these methods. Can't vouch for them but they look nice.

http://www.beckettsimonon.com/collectio ... ck-leather

Also ETA: the key point here is there's a dead spot for men's dress shoes. I call it the Cole Hahn Zone. These are glued corrected leather shoes that can run in to the $120 zone at which point what the hell just get real quality shoes. So, to me, you work with those brands like Florsheim or Cohe Hahn but get their inexpensive ones in the $80's or try to catch them on sale for cheaper OR you step up to goodyear welt and full grain in the near $200s. There's no point in the expensive glued shoe.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 20 Jan 2016, 06:24

Serious best advice, buy a pair of shoes twice or three times as expensive that will last 10 to 20 years, e.g., Alden and Church's. Treat them correctly by (1) not wearing them every day, (2) always using shoe trees, at least when at home, every night, and (3) keep them reasonably clean and polished. Yeah, the sole and heel will wear down as they will with any shoe, at which point you have the decision whether to send them to their manufacturer for a compete refurbishment (pricey, but they come back looking brand new) or to the usual shoe repair shop. If the latter, find one fairly close to the most affluent neighborhood in your area; shoe repairmen who can't properly repair high quality shoes don't stay in business.

People who have never bought shoes at this price point will consider it an extravagance and you'll probably wonder if it was money well spent for the first few years, but your feet will appreciate it from day one and you'll see the wisdom in buying quality five years from now.

Aesthetically, I don't think what I consider bona fide "dress shoes," e.g., cap toe or wingtip or even plain tie Oxfords, work well with jeans, while more casual leather shoes such as boat shoes (e.g., Top Siders), penny loafers (e.g., Weejuns) and chukka boots work splendidly. I see Europeans wearing dress shoes with jeans quite often, though, a signal to me that they are Europeans and quite likely only own two or three pair of shoes.

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Jan 2016, 07:58

Shoebank.com

Will likely hit or fit under your budget. And if the error that made it a second is too much for you, you can return.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Jan 2016, 09:42

The dark jeans okay option for dress shoes is the brown blucher with at least semi brogue going on (that's the dot patterns - semi brogue covers the toe cap area whereas wingtip is full brogue and has hole patterns going all down the side).

Bluchers are more casual than oxfords following the general concept that lumpier stuff is more casual that streamlined stuff.

Like this:

http://effortlessgent.com/all-in-the-de ... es-part-3/