The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
D.A. Ridgely

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Apr 2016, 12:19

JasonL wrote:
dhex wrote:
JasonL wrote:Got caught in a snowfall that turned to slush in Boston. Punchline is my good brown shoes now have watermarks in the leather - a bit of stain but also a bit of swelling near the seam. Am I basically screwed or will that polish out somehow? I can't believe getting them wet just the once would be irreparable, but neither can I find a great online solution to the swelling part.
bring it to a cobbler asap. it's salt and stuff.
I think I'm frakked. Got them to a guy but his expression was more like "what the hell we'll try" than "I got this". Those are my Grensons!!!
If you get the salt out through methods described above, I'd just start polishing them a darker color. The darker they are, the less likely anyone will notice them and, as a rule, men shouldn't want others staring at their shoes, anyway.

I have a pair of Church's wingtips I bought in, oh, geez, the early 80s? I don't wear them much now, obviously, because I rarely wear anything more formal than chinos and a polo shirt, but I used to wear them extensively, have had them "rebuilt once" and they're still in terrific shape. But they started out very light tan and by now they're a medium-dark brown from a combination of aging and polish.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Apr 2016, 10:23

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
JasonL wrote:
dhex wrote:
JasonL wrote:Got caught in a snowfall that turned to slush in Boston. Punchline is my good brown shoes now have watermarks in the leather - a bit of stain but also a bit of swelling near the seam. Am I basically screwed or will that polish out somehow? I can't believe getting them wet just the once would be irreparable, but neither can I find a great online solution to the swelling part.
I think I'm frakked. Got them to a guy but his expression was more like "what the hell we'll try" than "I got this". Those are my Grensons!!!
If you get the salt out through methods described above, I'd just start polishing them a darker color. The darker they are, the less likely anyone will notice them and, as a rule, men shouldn't want others staring at their shoes, anyway.

I have a pair of Church's wingtips I bought in, oh, geez, the early 80s? I don't wear them much now, obviously, because I rarely wear anything more formal than chinos and a polo shirt, but I used to wear them extensively, have had them "rebuilt once" and they're still in terrific shape. But they started out very light tan and by now they're a medium-dark brown from a combination of aging and polish.
They got the salt out! Very close inspection of the area right above the sole on the side shows a bit of residual effect, but dark polish took it out.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Apr 2016, 10:23

Allen Edmonds sale: $100 off top line shoes

https://www.allenedmonds.com/

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Apr 2016, 08:21

JasonL wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
JasonL wrote:
dhex wrote:

They got the salt out! Very close inspection of the area right above the sole on the side shows a bit of residual effect, but dark polish took it out.
congratulations!
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Apr 2016, 14:03

JasonL wrote:Allen Edmonds sale: $100 off top line shoes

https://www.allenedmonds.com/
Last day of sale - 5th Ave Oxfords $150 off. That got me to buy. Trying the rubberized sole that still allows shoe to be rebuilt because rain is bad. Salt is bad.

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Apr 2016, 20:04

I got the Lake Bluff woven loafers for $100 off. Lovely looking shoes.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Sep 2016, 11:15

best strategy for adding new belt holes to a belt? I have some nice narraganset (sp? no fucking idea) bridle leather belts that are a few inches too big now. i was thinking awl, going low and slow and increasing bore size until i'm at where i need to be.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 09 Sep 2016, 11:57

dhex wrote:best strategy for adding new belt holes to a belt? I have some nice narraganset (sp? no fucking idea) bridle leather belts that are a few inches too big now. i was thinking awl, going low and slow and increasing bore size until i'm at where i need to be.
Punch. The specialized belt hole punches that make slightly oval holes are probably a bit much for the casual user, but something like this will work great.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 Sep 2016, 16:20

dhex wrote:best strategy for adding new belt holes to a belt? I have some nice narraganset (sp? no fucking idea) bridle leather belts that are a few inches too big now. i was thinking awl, going low and slow and increasing bore size until i'm at where i need to be.

Narragansett Beer. The PBR of New England hipsters.

Also, +1 on the leather punch.
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

dhex

Post by dhex » 09 Sep 2016, 17:56

Thanks!

Also dang what a subtle advertisement.

JD

Post by JD » 10 Sep 2016, 11:12

Honestly, if they're "a few inches too big" your best bet may be getting new belts. You can add holes, but the end of the belt is now going to wrap around your waist that much further, which may or may not be noticeable on your frame; only you can decide that.

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 Sep 2016, 20:34

i want to hold off for another six months or so at least. however, you're right in that at a certain point it's just going to look stupid(er).

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 11 Sep 2016, 09:16

I've done pretty well keeping one eye on Allen Edmonds sales for belts. They will occasionally go 25% off good leather belts that are worth it at that price.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Sep 2016, 11:08

If you have lost weight and it's not about the cancer, you should reward yourself with a new expensive belt.

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 22 Sep 2016, 08:40

JasonL wrote:I've done pretty well keeping one eye on Allen Edmonds sales for belts. They will occasionally go 25% off good leather belts that are worth it at that price.
Heads up - AE belt clearance. $49 is not bad at all for the Manistee. I have that one.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/clearance/

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Dec 2016, 10:16

I bought a pair of 34 Heritage jeans. I can't believe how much I paid, and I can't believe how well they fit. They're the best pair of pants I've ever owned. They might be the best thing I've ever stuck my dick in.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2016, 10:50

Andrew wrote:I bought a pair of 34 Heritage jeans. I can't believe how much I paid, and I can't believe how well they fit. They're the best pair of pants I've ever owned. They might be the best thing I've ever stuck my dick in.
That's great Andrew. I'm happy, and also sad, for you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Dec 2016, 10:52

Andrew wrote:I bought a pair of 34 Heritage jeans. I can't believe how much I paid, and I can't believe how well they fit. They're the best pair of pants I've ever owned. They might be the best thing I've ever stuck my dick in.
Your pathetic sex life aside, what makes them better than Levis?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 Dec 2016, 11:02

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Your pathetic sex life aside, what makes them better than Levis?
If Levis (or most jeans) fit my waist, they're much too small for my thighs and ass. If they fit my thighs and ass, they're massively oversized for my waist. These fit all 3, and they also fit my thighs without being bulky around the ankles. They've got 1 or 2% spandex, so they flex enough that I can sit/crouch/move and have them move with me. Even the Levi 541 athletic fit jeans don't fit or move the same way.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Apr 2017, 17:11

I bought a new pair of jeans that fit well but oddly they also have an internal draw string (or what looks like one). What's the purpose of this? I assumed it was there if you didn't have a belt maybe?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 07 Apr 2017, 23:55

?

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Apr 2017, 18:43

JasonL wrote:?
That's the inside of the jeans. It has two drawstrings.Image

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Apr 2017, 19:47

That's not right.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Apr 2017, 21:33

The fuck? Take them back and demand an explanation.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Apr 2017, 22:26

They are extremely comfortable jeans so I'm not getting rid of them. I was planning on just pulling the drawstring out but I wanted to find out if there was some justification for it I wasn't aware of before I did.