The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
thoreau

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by thoreau » 30 Jan 2016, 20:57

I went to Nordstrom, bit the bullet, and bought some dark brown Allen Edmonds Oxfords.

Fingers crossed that they're worth it.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jan 2016, 21:33

Nice! Navy is a great match with brown. Gray to black at charcoal or darker should be avoided.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Feb 2016, 14:41

Anyone tried shirts from Hugh and Crye? Aside from the godawful name, I'm tempted by the tall/athletic shirts. It's so hard to find a shirt that fits my shoulders without being 3x too big in the waist.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Feb 2016, 01:26

Andrew wrote:Anyone tried shirts from Hugh and Crye? Aside from the godawful name, I'm tempted by the tall/athletic shirts. It's so hard to find a shirt that fits my shoulders without being 3x too big in the waist.
Oh, boo fucking hoo. :roll:

:D

I'm constantly infuriated that I can find shirts that match my shoulders and my waist, but not the distance between the two. I may be fat, but that doesn't mean I'm not still tall. I'd just as soon not be displaying my crack every time I bend over.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 Feb 2016, 04:03

lunchstealer wrote:
Andrew wrote:Anyone tried shirts from Hugh and Crye? Aside from the godawful name, I'm tempted by the tall/athletic shirts. It's so hard to find a shirt that fits my shoulders without being 3x too big in the waist.

I'm constantly infuriated that I can find shirts that match my shoulders and my waist, but not the distance between the two. I may be fat, but that doesn't mean I'm not still tall. I'd just as soon not be displaying my crack every time I bend over.
I have the same problem. Target boys' mediums fit great except for the length.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Feb 2016, 07:36

lunchstealer wrote:

My shoulder/waist ratio isn't even all that extreme, which is what makes finding a shirt so frustrating. Where do the roided-up 40-year-olds at the gym get dress shirts? And then my extremely long arms aren't helping things.

Hugh and Crye (good god I hate that name) has shirts in a tall/broad size. That might be something that'd work for you if you feel like dropping $95 on a shirt.

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Feb 2016, 09:22

If you are dropping $95 you can do Blank Label custom.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 02 Feb 2016, 10:13

I vaguely recall custom starts to be available in the 70 dollar range, but don't ask me why I think that. You may have to go with one of the HK outfits and order several to get that price point.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Feb 2016, 10:21

Blank Label used to run 3 grades of cloth, the lowest of which was shirts in the $75 zone. They discontinued the grades and settled on the middle tier of $95 cloth shirts only about two years ago. If you get your size right they are pretty good. My only gripe would be slightly puny button stitch on the small buttons like collar or sleeve. Not a deal breaker for me but I've had some come a little bit loose over the years.

ETA: they always have 3 for $250 as a deal.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Feb 2016, 10:54

Andrew wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:

My shoulder/waist ratio isn't even all that extreme, which is what makes finding a shirt so frustrating. Where do the roided-up 40-year-olds at the gym get dress shirts? And then my extremely long arms aren't helping things.

Hugh and Crye (good god I hate that name) has shirts in a tall/broad size. That might be something that'd work for you if you feel like dropping $95 on a shirt.
I can get XXL t-shirts that still only come an inch or two below my waist. When I was younger, I had a hard time getting dress and sport shirts (is that what button down shirts that go with sport coats are called? never bothered to find out) that were long enough without being a tent around the waist. The latter isn't a big problem anymore, but I still have some XL-Tall shirts along those lines that come untucked behind because the tail isn't long enough.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Feb 2016, 11:20

I find, sadly enough, that my torso has finally filled out the typically blousey Brooks Bros shirt. Most of my life, though, I could have fit another skinny person inside any shirt that fit my sleeve length and collar size.

I haven't done business with these people, but their reputation is pretty good and they have an online chat option so you could discuss shirt length with them.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Feb 2016, 11:42

For long t-shirts, http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... hirts.aspx ?

(They are a Midwestern J Peterman competitor, so it pains me to link to them! :lol: Also I am a short fat woman so I can't actually vouch for them personally.)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Feb 2016, 11:56

I've liked every piece of clothing that I've gotten from Duluth Trading, but I haven't tried the shirts. That might be the next thing I try.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Feb 2016, 12:06

Yeah I need shrink resistant undershirts. I buy large hanes and first they are too big, then almost right, then ... not good. The almost right phase is not long enough in duration.

The tommy johnses and meundies of the world are mighty expensive for undershirt tees.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 02 Feb 2016, 12:17

JasonL wrote:Yeah I need shrink resistant undershirts. I buy large hanes and first they are too big, then almost right, then ... not good. The almost right phase is not long enough in duration.

The tommy johnses and meundies of the world are mighty expensive for undershirt tees.
Mr Davis. They're expensive but worth it. I bought 5 over a year ago and I'm still using them. They haven't shrunk and the "tone" colored v-neck disappears under all color of dress shirts. My only complaint is that the sleeves are a little too short, so they bunch up if the arm holes on a dress shirt are too small.

Re custom stuff, my last custom experience was Raj, and that was a shit show. I'm leery of custom for that reason.

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Feb 2016, 23:25

i can vouch for charles tyrwhitt (on sale) for tall/broad. 37" sleeves are not an issue, their french cuffs are ok enough, and i only ever buy if i'm paying 35/shirt.

they have slim and very slim iirc.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

dhex

Post by dhex » 04 Mar 2016, 14:43

is there a good way to travel with suits (plural) on a plane?
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2016, 14:48

hanging bag
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 04 Mar 2016, 14:48

dhex wrote:is there a good way to travel with suits (plural) on a plane?
Depending on how often this is an issue, you can get a garment bag, which is a suitcase designed to let you leave your clothes basically hung up inside the suitcase. Too big to carry on but if you don't mind checking it can be pretty effective in my experience.

Alternative, there are like a million youtube videos on "how to fold/pack a suit," but I can't vouch for any of them.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Mar 2016, 14:57

If you are doing multiple jackets to go with multiple pants you are best served with a garment bag. My preferred option is single jacket multiple pants in which case I wear the jacket on the plane and the pants stay neat in a carry on.

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Mar 2016, 15:48

JasonL wrote:
If you are doing multiple jackets to go with multiple pants you are best served with a garment bag. My preferred option is single jacket multiple pants in which case I wear the jacket on the plane and the pants stay neat in a carry on.
Madness. Wearing the jacket on the plane is a sure way to dishevel the jacket and pittstain your shirt to the elbows. A sturdy garment bag is your best bet.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Mar 2016, 18:17

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Madness. Wearing the jacket on the plane is a sure way to dishevel the jacket and pittstain your shirt to the elbows. A sturdy garment bag is your best bet.
A proper bemonocled libertarian flies first class and has the flight attendant hang up their jacket.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Mar 2016, 18:29

Most dry cleaners will press a suit in less than an hour.

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Mar 2016, 21:00

i fell into a business carry on luggage review k-hole like two hours ago and i still have no idea what to buy, just that it'll cost more money than i think it will.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 28 Mar 2016, 10:02

Went down to the new tony shopping area that just opened. They have a John Lobb store, which I vaguely recalled as being similar to Church's, so I went in. Those are some pretty shoes, but for $1750 a pair they'd goddamn well better be.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL