The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JasonL

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by JasonL » 21 Jun 2018, 14:43

I'm giving medium khaki denim a try. I feel like with the state of corp casual, the time may be now for that look with untucked button down and maybe ECCO chukkas or something.

https://www.mottandbow.com/mens/straigh ... khaki.html

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Sep 2018, 14:04

I am normally pretty far on the casual side of "Whatever, man, times change! People wear comfy clothing now! No need to dress up every time you go out in public and fly on an airplane or whatever! Big deal!"

But when I was waiting for a traffic court hearing the other day I was the only person not in a T-shirt or sweats, and just now I saw someone come in for a job interview wearing ripped jeans and flip-flops. I am CLUTCHING MY (nonexistent) PEARLS, PEOPLE. What is this world coming to?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Sep 2018, 14:05

Ellie wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 14:04
I am normally pretty far on the casual side of "Whatever, man, times change! People wear comfy clothing now! No need to dress up every time you go out in public and fly on an airplane or whatever! Big deal!"

But when I was waiting for a traffic court hearing the other day I was the only person not in a T-shirt or sweats, and just now I saw someone come in for a job interview wearing ripped jeans and flip-flops. I am CLUTCHING MY (nonexistent) PEARLS, PEOPLE. What is this world coming to?
fuuuuuuu. I thought that degree of grooming apathy only existed in rural areas.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 05 Sep 2018, 14:28

Warren wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 14:05
Ellie wrote:

I work in an office setting and t-shirts, jeans and xtra tufs are the work staple here. Okay, I keed about the boots, only like 20% of the folks wear them daily.

But flip flops should be a death sentence. Disemboweling by rats if with socks.

ETA: a linkity link.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 05 Sep 2018, 15:09

Ellie wrote:

Yeah it's kind of annoying to me as well.

Where it really bugs me is when upper management types dress like that. I mentioned in another thread about a big demo we had to do with various executives in the company. We as presenters dressed fairly nicely. No ties or slacks but button downs, nice jeans, leather shoes and the like. Most of the executives dressed likewise but a few were really dressed down. One of the senior executives was wearing old ripped jeans, a hoodie, and converse sneakers with no laces. It was like something you wear when you go to the laundromat.

She actually provided a lot valuable feedback and clearly knew her stuff. So it was no reflection on her capabilities. But her outfit kind of a annoyed me as we had made an effort to look nice and had busted our ass to make the demo the best we could, and here's this person who looks like they just rolled out of bed and threw on whatever she had on lying around the room. I know it shouldn't have bothered me but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Sep 2018, 06:11

Kwix wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 14:28
Warren wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 14:05
Ellie wrote:

I work in an office setting and t-shirts, jeans and xtra tufs are the work staple here. Okay, I keed about the boots, only like 20% of the folks wear them daily.

But flip flops should be a death sentence. Disemboweling by rats if with socks.

ETA: a linkity link.
yeah but you live in a place where bald eagles are practically pest birds so business casual is going to have a different odor than elsewhere
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Sep 2018, 16:36

Painboy wrote:Most of the executives dressed likewise but a few were really dressed down. One of the senior executives was wearing old ripped jeans, a hoodie, and converse sneakers with no laces. It was like something you wear when you go to the laundromat.

She actually provided a lot valuable feedback and clearly knew her stuff. So it was no reflection on her capabilities. But her outfit kind of a annoyed me as we had made an effort to look nice and had busted our ass to make the demo the best we could, and here's this person who looks like they just rolled out of bed and threw on whatever she had on lying around the room. I know it shouldn't have bothered me but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Sorry/notsorry.

Actually, when meeting with external folks I’ll at least try to have a polo or an untucked button down at worst.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Oct 2018, 21:10

Levi's now makes an athletic cut pair of jeans (the 541). I recommend checking them out if you fall into the big thighs/big ass/small waist demographic. Because they're new and can't be found at outlets, they're outrageously overpriced for a pair of Levi's, but still way cheaper than fancy brands.

The one catch is that all the different washes have different material blends (which makes the fit and feel vary widely). Lots have polyester, which I hate in jeans. A couple of the basic dark blues are cotton with a few percentage elastane/spandex, though.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Oct 2018, 16:47

I found a small boutique menswear store here in best Portland that carries a variety of selvage denim, woven and sewn in the US. Pretty nice stuff but way out of my budget.