The Well-Dressed Man

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: The Well-Dressed Man

Post by dhex » 18 Apr 2017, 21:38

Never trust a guy in a French blue dress shirt.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Apr 2017, 21:41

I like French blue for a certain kind of fancy! Don't do the cuffs tho.

Oh ... wait

dhex

Post by dhex » 19 Apr 2017, 08:41

I'm just saying.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 20 Apr 2017, 01:58

Not even if he covers it up with a navy sport coat and body armor labeled "Kush"?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jun 2017, 10:59

"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2017, 14:27

so i liked reading that, (boyer is generally entertaining) but the last graf is hard to describe
If Lewis is right that a sense of occasion encourages humility, we should not be surprised to find that a society that no longer wants to dress up also gives more leeway to the strong than it does support to the weak. Fifty years on from the Casual Revolution, the dream of wearing shorts forever has faded. Frustrated by the demands of individual expression, some have begun to yearn again for a shared and public happiness. Behind their desire lies a realization that was once universal: A society hospitable to the down and out will not be afraid to dress up.
ok, i got it - this is fundamentally stupid as hell. like, i can't even begin to unpack how fucking stupid this is.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jun 2017, 14:50

The assertion that 21st century Western is especially insensitive/oppressive to [group] is one of the most annoying tropes in public discourse.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2017, 15:03

the more formal the dress, the more fucked towards the "down and out" behavior was. i mean, shit, people dressed nice as hell in the 1840s (by boyer's formality measure).

it's a fucking stupid stretch.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Jun 2017, 15:33

Yeah the idea that fancy clothes are the bulwark against strongmen ignores that most of the people in history who wore fancy clothing they spent their time sucking up to strongmen.
But then, if these outward signs are socially discouraged today, what makes an occasion special? And how do we know? Can an event be an occasion if there’s no attempt to outwardly manifest it? ­Ritualized behavior of one sort or another may be considered an outward sign of our inward disposition. But how complete can this be if it is not expressed in our appearance? We need not agree with Nicolás Gómez-Dávila’s claim that evening dress is the first step toward civilization to think that something has gone amiss. Is it possible to believe that when we now wear polo shirts, khakis, and hyper-designed athletic shoes to weddings, funerals, and graduations, it’s a sign that we have forgotten how to enjoy the events by which we measure life?
Is it possible that people can enjoy events without dressing like jerks?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Jun 2017, 15:44

dhex wrote:so i liked reading that, (boyer is generally entertaining) but the last graf is hard to describe
If Lewis is right that a sense of occasion encourages humility, we should not be surprised to find that a society that no longer wants to dress up also gives more leeway to the strong than it does support to the weak. Fifty years on from the Casual Revolution, the dream of wearing shorts forever has faded. Frustrated by the demands of individual expression, some have begun to yearn again for a shared and public happiness. Behind their desire lies a realization that was once universal: A society hospitable to the down and out will not be afraid to dress up.
ok, i got it - this is fundamentally stupid as hell. like, i can't even begin to unpack how fucking stupid this is.
I love when people don't realize the point of manners is a shared and public *unhappiness.*

I mean the point is distance. Because you recognize distance is the only real thing. Like with the ideology of intimacy piece the other day.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2017, 16:01

you are a bit more goth topic than i am on that subject, to put it mildly.

but tying the social fates of billions to the manner of clothing (rather than the meaning and interaction of power of class with said clothing) is, like, dang bruce...dang. just stick to your lane. it's bad enough to be a ted talk.
Is it possible that people can enjoy events without dressing like jerks?
well...i have mixed feelings on that because there are issues like formality and respect which can (and, i believe, should) be communicated via behavior. dress is a part of behavior. if you wear shorts to a funeral you are either honoring the last wishes of a surfer or you are a fuckface.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Jun 2017, 16:05

dhex wrote:but tying the social fates of billions to the manner of clothing (rather than the meaning and interaction of power of class with said clothing) is, like, dang bruce...dang. just stick to your lane. it's bad enough to be a ted talk.
Is it bad enough to be a TEDx talk, though?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Jun 2017, 16:08

Meh. The point is insulation from too much of everything from randos. It's not shared unhappiness, its recognition of limited focus, attention span, etc that allows for development of relationships selectively.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Jun 2017, 16:19

I have a hard time squaring formality with respect, so I should probably recuse myself from this argument because I'm not unwaveringly loyal to crazy President Social Conventions.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jun 2017, 17:01

Some Wofford students were wearing sport-coat-/-blazer-and-tie to football games in the early '90s. I don't think most did, but I could be wrong - it was a long time ago, and I was among the dapper at the urging of my then roomate - but if the dapper were a minority, they weren't a small minority.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2017, 17:10

Sandy wrote:
dhex wrote:but tying the social fates of billions to the manner of clothing (rather than the meaning and interaction of power of class with said clothing) is, like, dang bruce...dang. just stick to your lane. it's bad enough to be a ted talk.
Is it bad enough to be a TEDx talk, though?
nah. dude knows what sentences are and shit. he's just also insane on this specific point.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jun 2017, 15:07

Giving my first pair of these a try. They look good and are very comfortable. Price point not bad for decent denim. Have some stretchiness to them but you can choose how much. In a Skinny / Slim / Straight 3 cut offering, the Slim cut looks pretty good on me, which, if you've met me, normally I can't do that. You can order a primary size and a trial size one size up or down from that then return the one you don't like. Seems pretty good.

https://www.mottandbow.com/

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Jun 2017, 15:11

Keep us posted on the quality, I have been thinking about trying them out myself.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Jun 2017, 15:07

The birddog guys amused me sufficiently to buy a pair. I feel like real bro now.

FAQ has helpful diagrams: https://www.birddogs.com/pages/faq

To get new style you have to buy a $54 bag of chips:

https://www.birddogs.com/blogs/the-week ... tato-chips

nicole

Post by nicole » 20 Jun 2017, 15:16

Oh man, I love that, I want to interview them.

Also Ll needs a pair but he will NOT be able to handle that marketing.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Jun 2017, 15:19

It's a former IBM sales exec and one of the head designers at lulu lemon.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Nov 2017, 16:42

My new chinos are the darkest navy ever to walk the earth. They look straight up black. Until you put on a black belt. Then very slightly blue. Shoe color / belt color / pants color heuristic has been disrupted.