The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
JD

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by JD »

Dangerman wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 11:52
JD wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 09:08 Harakiri, from 1962. I think it may be the best damn samurai movie ever made, but I can only watch it every so often because of the emotional impact.
You should watch The Twilight Samurai, it'll give any other Japanese samurai movie a run for its money.
Hm. Now I'm torn between watching that and Kagemusha tonight. Maybe I can fit both in this weekend.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
dbcooper

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Fatal Attraction?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

What We Do in the Shadows was a lot of things, but funny ain't one of 'em.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JD

Post by JD »

Hugh Akston wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 22:12 What We Do in the Shadows was a lot of things, but funny ain't one of 'em.
I'm just going to go ahead and assume you also hate puppies and chocolate and rainbows.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

JD wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 07:35
Hugh Akston wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 22:12 What We Do in the Shadows was a lot of things, but funny ain't one of 'em.
I'm just going to go ahead and assume you also hate puppies and chocolate and rainbows.
No no. He has a point.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 07:51
JD wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 07:35
No no. He has a point.
*nods*
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

We saw Fargo this weekend, I had never seen it before. It was ok, but I’m not sure why people rank it in the top tier of Coen brothers movies. Perhaps the passage of time has made many of the elements cliche to me, e.b Steve Buscemi doing the standard Steve Buscemi.
I did appreciate the subtlety in the writing and performance of Francis McDormand’s character.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:17 We saw Fargo this weekend, I had never seen it before. It was ok, but I’m not sure why people rank it in the top tier of Coen brothers movies. Perhaps the passage of time has made many of the elements cliche to me, e.b Steve Buscemi doing the standard Steve Buscemi.
I did appreciate the subtlety in the writing and performance of Francis McDormand’s character.
Between this and your recent ST:DIS posts, I'm seriously wondering how your brain even learn human speech.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I think Fargo probably suffers from a lot of "Seinfeld is Unfunny" if you're watching it for the first time now. The whole woodchipper thing, for instance, was immensely unexpected. But now it's such a standard joke you can get subpoena'd in a comments section.
"Ellie is the Warren of comedy." -Shem
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Warren wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 16:49
Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:17 We saw Fargo this weekend, I had never seen it before. It was ok, but I’m not sure why people rank it in the top tier of Coen brothers movies. Perhaps the passage of time has made many of the elements cliche to me, e.b Steve Buscemi doing the standard Steve Buscemi.
Between this and your recent ST:DIS posts, I'm seriously wondering how your brain even learn human speech.
Wait till you hear my opinion on the Mandalorian.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 19:25
Warren wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 16:49
Wait till you hear my opinion on the Mandalorian.
Have at it. I put Star Wars in the rear view mirror.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Mandalorian is Firefly written by an adult.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 19:29 Mandalorian is Firefly written by an adult.
Now I know you're just trying to piss me off.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 19:32
Kolohe wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 19:29 Mandalorian is Firefly written by an adult.
Now I know you're just trying to piss me off. 流口水的婊子和猴子的笨儿子。
Better.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Does Mandalorian S2 get better? I'm gonna be real honest ... I thought the execution of that show was in the last half of S1 pretty horrific. That ep with the "lets go raid the prison ship haha betrayal" was so awfully produced I kept looking for robots mocking it in the front row.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I am on team "Wheadon doesn't age well" though. Uniformly.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

The Mandalorian is worth watching right now because it's not in any particular competition with anything except ST:Discovery. They've done a good job recreating Lucas's Star Wars worlds, but speaking of hokey robot shadows eating popcorn and watching, the hokey robots in the show are off putting as is that stupid jet pack. Christ, it's one thing to throw a little homage to Flash Gordon serials, another to make heavily armored guys zoom around less plausibly than Iron Man. Frankly [spoiler alert], the best thing because it's so idiotically 'controversial' in the series so far is Baby Yoda eating the frog eggs.
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

JasonL wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 11:15 Does Mandalorian S2 get better? I'm gonna be real honest ... I thought the execution of that show was in the last half of S1 pretty horrific. That ep with the "lets go raid the prison ship haha betrayal" was so awfully produced I kept looking for robots mocking it in the front row.
The first episode of season 2 has layers never really seen in star wars. The second episode is IMO weaker, because it’s just a monster of the week episode. The third episode dives into some lore, but is perfectly ok if you are not familiar with it (as I was not prior to episode). Ep 3 (of season 2) also guest stars a stalwart of 21st century so far sci-fi TV, and does an exemplary job. (Though is playing a bit to type. But that was totally appropriate, and perhaps necessary)
Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

You should try the TV series. The first two seasons are really really excellent IMO, and the newest (4th) season has Chris Rock giving a solid dramatic performance. All seasons are interconnected, and they all have the Coen Bros. feel for characters and dialogue.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Dangerman wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 16:05
You should try the TV series. The first two seasons are really really excellent IMO, and the newest (4th) season has Chris Rock giving a solid dramatic performance. All seasons are interconnected, and they all have the Coen Bros. feel for characters and dialogue.
Blech :P
I watched the first season and maybe the second. Season 1 was a Billy Bob Thornton shitshow. And season 2 I don't even remember, I think I probably stopped watching half way through.

Season 4 however, I can recommend. Set in Kansas City in the 50's, Italian vs Black mob war, very noir with lots of Coenesque side characters and twists. Can second Cris Rock putting in a solid performance.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dhex

Post by dhex »

Baby Yoda sucks.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

dhex wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 16:57Baby Yoda sucks.
Boooo! Everyone boo this man!! Boooooooooooo!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 18:59
No no. He has a point.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 19:39
Pham Nuwen wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 18:59
No no. He has a point.
The point being that's how Baby Yoda eats.