The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 18 Sep 2019, 13:54

Glenn Garvin sold me on Burns' Country Music. I do enjoy watching a Ken Burns documentary, even when I think he's pushing a political agenda I oppose. Most often I'm annoyed at his propensity to make everything about race. And in the time of NYT's 1619 project, I was deeply worried. I was also not a fan of country music. But Glenn convinced me I didn't need to be, that the signature Burns doco style was enough by itself.

So the first thing that struck me was what a pass Ken gave to Country's racist roots. We're not talking "gentleman's agreement" here. This is the deep south, poor white trash, don't let the sun set on you nigger, shit. The fucking Klan FFS.

Now when it comes to the actual subject matter. I was surprised at how moved I was. As stated, I was not a fan of country music. Now I really hate it. My god it's garbage. Not all of it mind you. I really dig the Appellation picking Bluegrass stuff. And also when it veers into Jazz. And some of the more rocking stuff. But fuck me, the story so far (1920's-1953) is just painful. Everything from the absurd yodeling, to the singing cowboys, to the ridiculous "western" costumes. And above all, the tunelessness of it all. How the fuck a no talent ass-clown like Hank Williams became so popular amongst an audience that could choose from Motzart, Charlie Parker, and Frank Sinatra, I'll never understand. The man couldn't sing, couldn't play guitar, and couldn't arrange a melody. He could write a good lyric though. Many other artists have covered his songs. They are all better than the original.

It's going to get better though. We're coming up on what I would call the golden age of country, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Roy Clark, Charlie Pride and others, before it disintegrates into Southern Rock and Bro Country.

Still better than disco though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Sep 2019, 16:58

Warren wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 13:54
Glenn Garvin sold me on Burns' Country Music. I do enjoy watching a Ken Burns documentary, even when I think he's pushing a political agenda I oppose. Most often I'm annoyed at his propensity to make everything about race. And in the time of NYT's 1619 project, I was deeply worried. I was also not a fan of country music. But Glenn convinced me I didn't need to be, that the signature Burns doco style was enough by itself.

So the first thing that struck me was what a pass Ken gave to Country's racist roots. We're not talking "gentleman's agreement" here. This is the deep south, poor white trash, don't let the sun set on you nigger, shit. The fucking Klan FFS.

Now when it comes to the actual subject matter. I was surprised at how moved I was. As stated, I was not a fan of country music. Now I really hate it. My god it's garbage. Not all of it mind you. I really dig the Appellation picking Bluegrass stuff. And also when it veers into Jazz. And some of the more rocking stuff. But fuck me, the story so far (1920's-1953) is just painful. Everything from the absurd yodeling, to the singing cowboys, to the ridiculous "western" costumes. And above all, the tunelessness of it all. How the fuck a no talent ass-clown like Hank Williams became so popular amongst an audience that could choose from Motzart, Charlie Parker, and Frank Sinatra, I'll never understand. The man couldn't sing, couldn't play guitar, and couldn't arrange a melody. He could write a good lyric though. Many other artists have covered his songs. They are all better than the original.

It's going to get better though. We're coming up on what I would call the golden age of country, Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Roy Clark, Charlie Pride and others, before it disintegrates into Southern Rock and Bro Country.

Still better than disco though.
I haven't watched the show, but I'm going to assume you meant Appalachian, not Appellation.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Sep 2019, 19:33

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 16:58
I haven't watched the show, but I'm going to assume you meant Appalachian, not Appellation.
Of course. I don't even know what Appellation means. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Sep 2019, 19:37

Helps to know that the proper pronunciation has the third 'a' short rather than long, and the ch is actually pronounced as ch rather than sh. The northern variant is a weird corruption from the Native American root word. Southern pronunciation is closest.
Last edited by lunchstealer on 20 Sep 2019, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Sep 2019, 20:41

Warren wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 19:33
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 16:58
Of course. I don't even know what Appellation means. :)
So, naturally, you confused a name with naming. Very meta.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 22 Sep 2019, 13:23

Amazon Prime has a movie called Dreamchild from 1985. It's about an old woman who was, in her childhood, the Alice of Alice in Wonderland and muse of Charles Dodgson, as she remembers and reevaluates their relationship. It's a rather unique movie. About the only thing I could compare it to is Death in Venice, in that it shows an older person obsessed with a child and that the nobleness or innocence or lack of physical requitedness doesn't make it any less creepy as fuck.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 26 Sep 2019, 03:50

The "Mexican Joker"/ICE concentration camp episode of South Park was brilliant and brutal. Looks like Trey Parker has outgrown his "it's uncool to think anything matters" phase.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Sep 2019, 19:54

Rock & Rule. An older 80's animated movie. I was mildly fascinated with it when I was younger. It was dark and edgy compared to most stuff of the time, but not to Heavy Metal's level.

It's an odd mash up of concepts. It's setting is kind of post-post-apocalyptic. Humans are gone but rats and other varmints have mutated into humanoids and now have towns and cities and the like. So it's basically just humans with various rat features. That being said the backstory to the setting is not really necessary as it's never really touched on.*

The plot revolves around a popular and powerful musician named Mok who is trying to raise a demon from hell (A natural progression). Mok is a like an evil David Bowie crossed with Mick Jagger.**
mok.jpg
mok.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 927 times
In order to summon the demon he needs to find someone with a specific vocal frequency. This of course turns out to be a girl in a local dive bar band. And of course said band is lead by a head strong guy who doesn't appreciate her contributions. Mok entices/abducts girl to join him kicking her old band aside. Band goes after her. Various hijinks and shenanigans ensue. Mok manages to summon the demon but the girl and the guy sing together proving their unspoken love and respect which banishes the demon.

As plot and script go it's pretty thin. Mok is really the only character who's interesting. You can tell the animators and vocalist had lots of fun with him. The "leads" are fairly bland and don't really show much character development. The guy is a jerk at the beginning and slightly less of a jerk in the end. The girl is not confident in herself at the beginning and is slightly more confident of herself in the end. The other band members, and Mok's henchmen, are basically the comedy relief without a lot of success.

Despite all this I found myself enjoying it. The animation holds up well even today and it has a nice Don Bluth on acid kind of feel to it. There are a couple sequences that are almost psychedelic and a lot of fun. The music features Debbie Harry, Cheap Trick, Earth Wind & Fire, Iggy Pop, and others. Not normally my kind of thing but it works well with the film.

Part of my fascination I think is that I'm kind of amazed something like this even exists. It apparently cost a lot of money for the time and made almost nothing back. Clearly someone's passion project.

* There are apparently are two versions of the movie. The original doesn't bother with the explanation which makes more sense to me.
**According to IMDB his name was going to be Mok Swagger but someone from Mick Jagger's representation had a word with them.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Sep 2019, 20:14

Oh man. I loved Rock & Rule

I like when she's trying to seduce him and she says "Lets go away together. Just you, and me" and he says "MMmmmmmeeeeeee". Such a villain.
And the other thing I remember is when the summoned a demon at a concert and in the news reporter 'man on the street' interview is a couple guys outside the arena going "We couldn't sell any of these I SURVIVED THE MOK CONCERT t-shirts"
heh

ETA
Oh hey. It's on YouTube
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Sep 2019, 21:39

80% of what I remember about the movie:

"You think he's acting, but he's not."

I think I saw the version where they didn't bother explaining, and so the only importance of the post-apocalypse was a couple of place names and even less dialogue. (I couldn't even swear that there were any other spoken mentions beyond "I'm the greatest thing since World War 3".)

That and Nimoy's old show, Standby...Lights! Camera! Action! covered some of the VFX, this being back during the days when if you wanted a cool swirly light effect, you had to work for it.
Painboy wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 19:54
It's an odd mash up of concepts. It's setting is kind of post-post-apocalyptic. Humans are gone but rats and other varmints have mutated into humanoids and now have towns and cities and the like. So it's basically just humans with various rat features. That being said the backstory to the setting is not really necessary as it's never really touched on.
Right, it's more of something from the "funny animal" genre, where animal appearances are basically visual styling, not anything relevant to the setting, story, or characters.

Ultimately, I wonder if it was an attempt to distance the movie from projects like American Pop and Hey Good Lookin'. Or if post-apocalyptic animal-people made the plot point of "demon-summoning rock star" seem less weird to somebody, or the drug binge scene less objectionable.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Sep 2019, 22:42

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 21:39
80% of what I remember about the movie:

"You think he's acting, but he's not."

I think I saw the version where they didn't bother explaining, and so the only importance of the post-apocalypse was a couple of place names and even less dialogue. (I couldn't even swear that there were any other spoken mentions beyond "I'm the greatest thing since World War 3".)

That and Nimoy's old show, Standby...Lights! Camera! Action! covered some of the VFX, this being back during the days when if you wanted a cool swirly light effect, you had to work for it.
Painboy wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 19:54
It's an odd mash up of concepts. It's setting is kind of post-post-apocalyptic. Humans are gone but rats and other varmints have mutated into humanoids and now have towns and cities and the like. So it's basically just humans with various rat features. That being said the backstory to the setting is not really necessary as it's never really touched on.
Right, it's more of something from the "funny animal" genre, where animal appearances are basically visual styling, not anything relevant to the setting, story, or characters.

Ultimately, I wonder if it was an attempt to distance the movie from projects like American Pop and Hey Good Lookin'. Or if post-apocalyptic animal-people made the plot point of "demon-summoning rock star" seem less weird to somebody, or the drug binge scene less objectionable.
Well according to Wikipedia the studio that made it also made a short called The Devil and Daniel Mouse previously (based on the Devil and Daniel Webster). So that might be where the rat angle came from.

Fun fact they were also the studio behind the Care Bears and Bettejuice cartoons as well as Droids.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Sep 2019, 22:44

Painboy wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 22:42
Well according to Wikipedia the studio that made it also made a short called The Devil and Daniel Mouse previously (based on the Devil and Daniel Webster). So that might be where the rat angle came from.

Fun fact they were also the studio behind the Care Bears and Bettejuice cartoons as well as Droids.
That's a range.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Sep 2019, 08:58

Jennifer wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 03:50
The "Mexican Joker"/ICE concentration camp episode of South Park was brilliant and brutal. Looks like Trey Parker has outgrown his "it's uncool to think anything matters" phase.
I honestly wonder how much Parker and Stone are involved in the creative direction of the show and how much they just say 'yes' to other people's ideas. (Honestly i'd have been doing the latter for a good while now)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 27 Sep 2019, 10:13

Watched the first season of Russian Doll in a two-segment binge and really liked it.

Almost done with Preacher - man, they just keep ramping up the weirdness on that show.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 27 Sep 2019, 10:45

A trusted friend saw the new Rambo movie and claimed that it was nearly as good as Taken.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 27 Sep 2019, 12:22

Mr. In-between is pretty good, first season is on Hulu.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Sep 2019, 17:44

Kolohe wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 08:58
Jennifer wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 03:50
I honestly wonder how much Parker and Stone are involved in the creative direction of the show and how much they just say 'yes' to other people's ideas. (Honestly i'd have been doing the latter for a good while now)
I haven't seen anything to disprove the theory that it's still Trey Parker doing it all.

FWIW, since at least the time of the second "Manbearpig" episode (with 'Manbearpig' being a stand-in for manmade climate change, of course, and the gist of the second episode being "Shit, Al Gore was right after all"),I've had the impression Trey is somewhat regretting some of the stuff he pushed in earlier seasons, and trying to undo it. Dunno how much of that is just due to his being older, how much due to his being a dad, and how much simply comparing America 2019 to America when South Park started and realizing "Shit, some things really have gotten worse -- including many things for which, back in the day, we'd mock people for caring about it and saying 'This is a problem'."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Sep 2019, 18:30

Their original takes are much closer to right than wrong.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Sep 2019, 18:43

Some of their earlier stuff still holds up, sure. But not all of it.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Sep 2019, 20:33

Jennifer wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 17:44
FWIW, since at least the time of the second "Manbearpig" episode (with 'Manbearpig' being a stand-in for manmade climate change, of course, and the gist of the second episode being "Shit, Al Gore was right after all"),I've had the impression Trey is somewhat regretting some of the stuff he pushed in earlier seasons, and trying to undo it. Dunno how much of that is just due to his being older, how much due to his being a dad, and how much simply comparing America 2019 to America when South Park started and realizing "Shit, some things really have gotten worse -- including many things for which, back in the day, we'd mock people for caring about it and saying 'This is a problem'."
This all vaguely reminded me of something else discussed here, and I finally remembered it was this (context: some young adult who hadn't even been born when the movie "Heathers" first came out watched it for the first time and wrote about her impressions):
Jennifer wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 16:46
lunchstealer wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 16:37
i think the biggest problem is that she has no fucking clue how much better things are these days. School shootings are WAY THE FUCK DOWN from the time of Heathers. If anything we should've been more triggered than kids these days. Bullying wasn't cyber, and school shootings were a more regular occurrence, not less. Columbine wasn't a thing yet, but Stockton was.
I was actually thinking about an apparently unrelated thing which might in fact be connected -- something about how humor (particularly black humor or dark comedy) changes based on what actual real (or perceived) threats are. Specifically, I was watching some early-season episodes of Family Guy and South Park, compared to recent episodes -- the early seasons, both had lots of "edgy" anti-Semitic humor (in both cases coming from characters who were clearly reprehensible -- Eric Cartman, Peter Griffin, Carter Pewterschmidt, etc.). But recent seasons don't seem to have that -- perhaps because now, the idea "Such blatant anti-semitism must surely be in the past" no longer holds, not when we have an actual sitting POTUS who says nice things about literal swastika-waving Nazis. And when Heathers first came out, the idea that any mere high school kid could be as thoroughly evil as Christian Slater's character seemed almost as ridiculous, perhaps.

In other words, maybe certain types of black comedy only work for things which are CLEARLY ridiculous and over-the-top -- and the Heathers plotline doesn't seem as ridiculous today as it did in 1989.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Sep 2019, 20:42

Was Gore right that climate should haven “the central organizing principle of humanity”?

lunchstealer

Re: The son of

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Sep 2019, 21:55

JasonL wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 20:42
Was Gore right that climate should haven “the central organizing principle of humanity”?
Well I haven't ever thought so, but at the same time we probably won't know for certain for another three decades, minimum.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Sep 2019, 23:41

Was George H.W. Bush right when, back in the days before Republicans decided to pretend climate change was merely a liberal plot to ruin a good thing, he said "The United States is strongly committed to the IPCC process of international cooperation on global climate change. We consider it vital that the community of nations be drawn together in an orderly, disciplined, rational way to review the history of our global environment, to assess the potential for future climate change, and to develop effective programs. The state of the science, the social and economic impacts, and the appropriate strategies all are crucial components to a global resolution. The stakes here are very high; the consequences, very significant"?

What about when he said "I believe we should make use of what we know. We know that the future of the Earth must not be compromised" -- was he correct, or merely engaging in hyperbolic doomsaying, to dare suggest (even metaphorically) that the Earth's future could possibly be "compromised" by the activities of mere humans?

JasonL

The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by JasonL » 27 Sep 2019, 23:56

So - no. He wasn’t right per se. it’s one thing. The continuing story of people making it an existential crisis who won’t tolerate any change to anything like gas prices tells you that there would be heavy, heavy costs to decades of throwing money at a problem and paying for it in growth.

ETA - in general politicians who feel like they know the central organizing principle of the species are fucking terrifying.

Jennifer

Re: The son of

Post by Jennifer » 28 Sep 2019, 01:05

JasonL wrote:
27 Sep 2019, 23:56
So - no. He wasn’t right per se. it’s one thing. The continuing story of people making it an existential crisis who won’t tolerate any change to anything like gas prices tells you that there would be heavy, heavy costs to decades of throwing money at a problem and paying for it in growth.
Except it does not follow that the only alternative to "decades of throwing money at a problem" is "ignore the problem or deny it even exists, and mock those who say otherwise."