The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
Warren

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by Warren » 30 Aug 2019, 20:04

Ellie wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 19:59
Anyway, I don't know why I keep trying to talk myself into watching Season 2, because my understanding is that it's very child-murdery so I'll just end up noping out hard.
I've watched two episodes. BTK is now on their radar and he murdered some kids, but they don't dwell on that. The most emotional scene is when they interview a boyfriend (of one of BTK's victims) that got away.
They interview Berkowitz in the second episode. I really enjoyed that scene.

ETA
DO NOT watch episode 3.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 31 Aug 2019, 14:51

One question that occurred to me when watching Mindhunter: when has all this profile/psych stuff actually caught someone? BTK sent letters to the media and police which contained metadata which eventually led to his arrest. Green River was caught by DNA matching, as was Golden State recently.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 31 Aug 2019, 17:20

Everything about Season 2 that could be interesting happens off screen, unless you really care about some guys marriage.

Also, spoiler, the season ends without any resolution for any plot line.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 31 Aug 2019, 17:58

Andrew wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 14:51
One question that occurred to me when watching Mindhunter: when has all this profile/psych stuff actually caught someone? BTK sent letters to the media and police which contained metadata which eventually led to his arrest. Green River was caught by DNA matching, as was Golden State recently.
I sure don't know of any such case. In the real world, it doesn't seem much much more than a source of statistical generalities ("the killer is a white guy between about 20 and 50..", blah blah), but it makes for more dramatic stories than just working the evidence until something finally comes up.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Aug 2019, 18:33

Eric the .5b wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 17:58
Andrew wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 14:51
I sure don't know of any such case. In the real world, it doesn't seem much much more than a source of statistical generalities ("the killer is a white guy between about 20 and 50..", blah blah), but it makes for more dramatic stories than just working the evidence until something finally comes up.
I am highly skeptical of psychological profiling. I did like the series about catching the unibomber off his writing style. That struck me as much more solid detective work.

I'm half way through season 2 of Mindhunter and it's really disappointing. I don't give a shit about the 'autistic psycho kid' plot that is consuming the show.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Aug 2019, 19:55

Serial killers are an auto disqualifier but lots of people seem to think I’d like it.

Warren

Re: The son of

Post by Warren » 31 Aug 2019, 19:57

JasonL wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 19:55
Serial killers are an auto disqualifier but lots of people seem to think I’d like it.
Then you should probably skip it. The best part about it, are the in-prison interviews.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 31 Aug 2019, 21:04

Warren wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 18:33
I did like the series about catching the unibomber off his writing style. That struck me as much more solid detective work.
Even that was based on the media publishing his manifesto and his brother turning him in.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Aug 2019, 21:54

Good point.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Sep 2019, 15:01

Dangerman wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 17:20
Everything about Season 2 that could be interesting happens off screen, unless you really care about some guys marriage.

Also, spoiler, the season ends without any resolution for any plot line.
Well it's hard to do long-form storytelling in only 9 episodes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Sep 2019, 15:53

JasonL wrote:
I hate serial killer crap but I love the series. I would definitely recommend it.

The series is more about discovery and questioning what is often the common understanding of things. Trying to understand the patterns in things that seem chaotic. Or looking deeper into something that most give a simplistic answer. In an other lesser series this would turn into smart people have all the answers, but this one is good at playing with the narrative, so you don't know if their theories are right or they just got lucky due to happenstance. There's constant back and forth on the show about who's ideas are right or wrong and you rarely get a clean answer.

Additionally because this is based on historical events there is the benefit of hindsight. Many of the theories that they developed have since been debunked and the show often plays on this knowingly.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Sep 2019, 16:38

Painboy wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 15:53
JasonL wrote:
I hate serial killer crap but I love the series. I would definitely recommend it.

The series is more about discovery and questioning what is often the common understanding of things. Trying to understand the patterns in things that seem chaotic. Or looking deeper into something that most give a simplistic answer. In an other lesser series this would turn into smart people have all the answers, but this one is good at playing with the narrative, so you don't know if their theories are right or they just got lucky due to happenstance. There's constant back and forth on the show about who's ideas are right or wrong and you rarely get a clean answer.

Additionally because this is based on historical events there is the benefit of hindsight. Many of the theories that they developed have since been debunked and the show often plays on this knowingly.
I'd say that's right for the first season. But the second season dealt much more with the fictional personal lives. Dr. Carr's arc was devoted almost entirely to a romantic relationship. It looked like she was going to be more involved with the work, actually interviewing convicted serial killers, but that got cut off as soon as it got going. The Manson interview by itself was quite good, but irrelevant to everything else, save it's value to glad handing the muckety mucks. Even the whole Atlanta business was all about bureaucracy politics with no insights or developments regarding psychological profiling despite the back and forth.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Sep 2019, 17:23

Warren wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 16:38
Painboy wrote:
01 Sep 2019, 15:53
JasonL wrote:

I'd say that's right for the first season. But the second season dealt much more with the fictional personal lives. Dr. Carr's arc was devoted almost entirely to a romantic relationship. It looked like she was going to be more involved with the work, actually interviewing convicted serial killers, but that got cut off as soon as it got going. The Manson interview by itself was quite good, but irrelevant to everything else, save it's value to glad handing the muckety mucks. Even the whole Atlanta business was all about bureaucracy politics with no insights or developments regarding psychological profiling despite the back and forth.
I guess I watched a different show than you did. I thought this one was excellent and did an even better job of not giving easy answers to things. The whole Atlanta plot with it's police bureaucracy thing was dare I say Wire like. It's what often happens when theory runs into reality.

Also much of the subtext of the Manson interview was about Tench's relationship with his kid. But you said didn't care about that so I could see why that fell flat for you.

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Sep 2019, 00:17

The Epilogue for sticks and stones is better than sticks and stones, which was really uneven.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

JD

Post by JD » 13 Sep 2019, 11:20

Finished up the second season of Mindhunter. I'm on the side that it was pretty good, although I felt that Carr's romantic arc and Tench's kid drama felt a bit forced.

Also tried watching the first episode of Carnival Row. Meh. I wanted to like it, but everything about it feels like it was borrowed from some other show. (Oh look, it's Victorian England. Oh look, there's a racist cop. Oh look, there's an insightful maverick detective. Oh look, there's a naively superior rich person. Oh look, there's an explicit sex scene for little apparent reason.) It's very steampunkish, which automatically makes it feel about ten years too late. And the writing is incredibly anvilicious: there are ethnic minority refugees in the capital city, except that these refugees are fairies and ram-people! and there's an anti-immigrant movement, and people have "clever" ethnic slurs for the refugees, etc. etc.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Sep 2019, 11:22

Some of the clunkiness gets better after a few episodes, but probably not the part where you feel like it's sewn together from lots of things you've seen before. I'll probably finish it.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Sep 2019, 11:29

OHMYFRIGGINGAWD is The I Land bad!!!!!

OTOH, I guess it's nice to see Tommy Wiseau finally getting another shot.*

* -- Actually, I think Tommy could have done it better.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Sep 2019, 13:52

I mean, "The I Land" should've been your first warning sign.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 13 Sep 2019, 14:38

I saw a trailer for it last night, and immediately said, "Didn't they already make this, but it was called Lost?" The reviews are pretty hilarious, though.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Sep 2019, 14:44

I was up late at night, as usual, looking for something to watch before I got sleepy, but jeebus it's a piece of shit! Multiple pieces of shit, actually. I actually sat through the first three episodes because I couldn't bring myself to believe that dialogue that stilted and character development, such as it was, so flimsy could be kept up at that pace, but by gawd they managed! I was frankly shocked the credits didn't include "Reason Commenters" for the writing.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Sep 2019, 14:48

If you google it, as i had to, "Netflix's The I Land may be the worst show I've ever seen" comes to the top of goog results.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 13 Sep 2019, 15:52

This land's not your land
This land is my land
It's not a you land
It's just an I land

JD

Post by JD » 13 Sep 2019, 16:37

Jadagul wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 15:52
This land is my land
It's not a you land
It's just an I land
Reminds me of the version we used to sing at summer camp...

I got a shotgun
And you don't got one
If you don't get off
I'll blow your head off
This land is private property

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Sep 2019, 17:33

JD wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 16:37
Jadagul wrote:
This land is my land
It's not a you land
It's just an I land

I got a shotgun
And you don't got one
If you don't get off
I'll blow your head off
Ahh perverted camp songs. That takes me back. You can sing this one in a round.
Marijuana, maijuana
LSD, LSD
Scientist make it, counselors take it
Why can't we? Why can't we?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Sep 2019, 02:06

Warren wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 17:33
JD wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 16:37
Jadagul wrote:
This land is my land
It's not a you land
It's just an I land

I got a shotgun
And you don't got one
If you don't get off
I'll blow your head off
Ahh perverted camp songs. That takes me back. You can sing this one in a round.
Marijuana, maijuana
LSD, LSD
Scientist make it, counselors take it
Why can't we? Why can't we?
The version I learned said "teachers" instead of "counselors," but otherwise was exactly the same.

I wonder how those versions started and spread, in Ye Ancient Days before the internet?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b