The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
tr0g

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by tr0g » 28 Jun 2018, 14:25

Jennifer wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 01:28
Went on a John Carpenter kick and watched Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. I know the latter is not very popular among Carpenter fans, but I'd always thought it was one of the better Lovecraft-style movies I've seen. Hadn't seen PoD before; had I seen it when it was new, it definitely would've scared the hell out of me.
The only failure of In The Mouth of Madness was they showed the monsters in that one gratuitous shot where Sam Neill is running down the hallway. If Carpenter had just skipped that and gone with pieces of monster and subliminal shots, it would have been better.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 28 Jun 2018, 14:28

PoD is sneakily one of the best Carpenter films.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2018, 14:40

tr0g wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:25
Jennifer wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 01:28
Went on a John Carpenter kick and watched Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. I know the latter is not very popular among Carpenter fans, but I'd always thought it was one of the better Lovecraft-style movies I've seen. Hadn't seen PoD before; had I seen it when it was new, it definitely would've scared the hell out of me.
The only failure of In The Mouth of Madness was they showed the monsters in that one gratuitous shot where Sam Neill is running down the hallway. If Carpenter had just skipped that and gone with pieces of monster and subliminal shots, it would have been better.
The one standalone detail I most liked about Madness was the blue-bus scene, because (IMO) it's a great example of the Lovecraftian idea "This thing is only scary in context." Most scary-movie stuff is scary regardless of context: you need not know the who-what-when-where-why to be frightened of something like a deranged man coming after you with an axe dripping blood off the blade. But that blue bus scene reminded me of something I read about Lovecraft (link goes to previous Gryll-post because the original article seems to be down):

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13&p=232748&hilit=u ... ft#p232748
Lovecraft's stories haven't remained popular so long just because his monsters are scary. They endure because his monsters are metaphors for existential alienation. It's not the appearance of the monsters in his stories, it's the reality of them, the fact that they exist. Their existence alone proves that humanity is doomed and that all our hopes and dreams are stupid. Running into one of Lovecraft's Elder Gods is like finding a strange pair of underwear in your bed and realizing that your spouse is cheating on you. It's not the underwear itself that's stabbing you in the heart; it's the betrayal it represents. Lovecraft's monsters are proof to the protagonist that the universe is not benevolent. Finding strange underwear might mean that your spouse never loved you; stumbling upon a Lovecraft creature means that God never loved you.
Likewise, there's nothing inherently scary about the color blue, or a bus where everyone is wearing it; what made it frightening in context was the complete betrayal of reality it represents.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 28 Jun 2018, 14:46

I think most Carpenter fans consider POD the beginning of his flawed but good era and MOM the end of it.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 29 Jun 2018, 06:11

JasonL wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 14:28
PoD is sneakily one of the best Carpenter films.
Co-sign.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 02 Jul 2018, 22:37

Has anyone seen Sicario 2: The Sick-ario?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 03 Jul 2018, 09:24

dbcooper wrote:
02 Jul 2018, 22:37
You mean James Bond vs. The Cartels? Not yet.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 03 Jul 2018, 11:02

Andrew wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 09:24
dbcooper wrote:
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2018, 05:55

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 11:02
Andrew wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 09:24
dbcooper wrote:
Nice. Was talking to my buddy tonight and he was talking about del Toro in that movie.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2018, 05:56

China Moon (very young Del Toro in a supporting role) looks good, but Madeleine Stowe is such a bloodless dud as a femme fatale.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 06 Jul 2018, 06:28

Also some of the transfer is fucked up - blurry, like it is out of focus, at times, and harsh static on the soundtrack.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 06 Jul 2018, 15:03

dbcooper wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 05:56
China Moon (very young Del Toro in a supporting role) looks good, but Madeleine Stowe is such a bloodless dud as a femme fatale.
LOL...Madelieine Stowe as a femme fatale. Was the casting director drunk? She might be a good actress but she has all the sexual electricity of a school marm.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jul 2018, 07:36

Wow.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Jul 2018, 22:16

dbcooper wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 07:36

Wow.
Wow what?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jul 2018, 22:26

That was exceptionally bad.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Jul 2018, 22:35

What odds do you give it that it's still better than Amazon's upcoming "Jim Halpert IS Jack Ryan!" series?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 12 Jul 2018, 22:40

Anyway, what more exciting way for an action movie to start than to show a guy waking up and blearily wandering around a college campus for a full minute?

And exposition should always be delivered at full volume hollering over helicopter noise.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Jul 2018, 23:58

The opening on the campus isn't bad, and the hospital bit is dull but serviceable. The sequence in the helicopter is a mess, trying to convey too much information without much elegance or entertainment value (Jack Ryan is a Regular Dude who talks about football with his subordinates, Jack Ryan's pestering command about Intelligence Bullshit but being ignored, Jack Ryan's an officer who wants to be on the front lines, etc.) and then throwing in a broadly telegraphed random severe injury to justify him not being in the military, anymore.

All that for a character who, when played by Ford and Baldwin (at least, never saw Sum of All Fears), implored people to remember that he was "just an analyst", not an action hero. But then, I suppose his background being, "I have a way of getting drone strikes to hit the actual bad guys 12% of the time instead of 10%!" might not come off as cool.

Or, put another way, why, in a movie about a CIA agent, do we have to have a series of events to justify the agent actually joining the CIA?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem