The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Music, books, movies, TV, games, hobbies, food, and potent potables. And forum games! Pour a drink, put on your smoking jacket, light a pipe (of whatever), and settle in.
dhex

Re: The son of "What the hell are YOU staring at?"

Post by dhex » 07 Jun 2018, 10:54

This was last year.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jun 2018, 04:05

Finally got around to watching the Ghostbusters reboot. Not great, but not bad -- and certainly not worth the vitriolic rage it inspired in some quarters.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jun 2018, 11:25

Jennifer wrote:Finally got around to watching the Ghostbusters reboot. Not great, but not bad -- and certainly not worth the vitriolic rage it inspired in some quarters.
Wrong thread

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

lunchstealer

Re: The son of

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Jun 2018, 11:57

thoreau wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 11:25
Jennifer wrote:Finally got around to watching the Ghostbusters reboot. Not great, but not bad -- and certainly not worth the vitriolic rage it inspired in some quarters.
Wrong thread

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
The requested topic does not exist.
Whatterya tryin' to say, T?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jun 2018, 12:03

Well shit. I created a thread titled "It's true, your honor, these Ghostbusters have no dicks" a while ago. It exists, but linking from Tapatalk is hard.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Re: The son of

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Jun 2018, 14:02

thoreau wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 12:03
Well shit. I created a thread titled "It's true, your honor, these Ghostbusters have no dicks" a while ago. It exists, but linking from Tapatalk is hard.
Hell's hottest place is reserved for those who demand thread resurrection.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Jun 2018, 02:50

I watched They Live the other night. (I was already familiar with the story, and saw bits and pieces of it, but I don't think I ever actually watched the whole thing from start to finish before.)

I would really like to read or watch a well-done sequel that picks up exactly where the movie ends, and shows what happens in the days and weeks afterward.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Jun 2018, 07:22

You can't ruin perfection by strangling ambiguity. I mean you can but no one should.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Jun 2018, 10:09

Logan Lucky

I was expecting better.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 11 Jun 2018, 13:32

Watched The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. Great cast- Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, Kirk Douglas. Miklos Rosza did the music. Felt a little slow at times but a great ending payoff.

Also watched Beat the Devil. Humphrey Bogart, Peter Lorre, Robert Morley, Gina Lollobrigida. I felt it loses some steam near the end but still, entertaining movie, great lines, and one gets the sense that everyone was having a good time with it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jun 2018, 00:52

dbcooper wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 08:19
dhex wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 07:48
i know someone who taught basic instinct for a feminism and film class.
I think it's a popular "text" for that. She exploits the male gaze and ego, and leads them around by their dicks.
See, also, Body Heat.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jun 2018, 06:19

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 00:52
dbcooper wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 08:19
dhex wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 07:48
i know someone who taught basic instinct for a feminism and film class.
I think it's a popular "text" for that. She exploits the male gaze and ego, and leads them around by their dicks.
See, also, Body Heat.
Indeed. Steamy as hell.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jun 2018, 06:19

JD

Post by JD » 12 Jun 2018, 10:16

Watched the new Fahrenheit 451 last night. It's OK, but I feel like it could have benefited from another round of sitting down and thinking about before it was created. The good: Michael Shannon is great, Michael B. Jordan is pretty good, and some of the cinematography is really stunning. The not-so-good: A lot of stuff seems to have been thrown in for flavor but not really thought out or explained well; there are a few major plot changes that don't work so well.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Jun 2018, 17:30

dbcooper wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 06:19
Reverse image search gives me "architecture".

Which kinda makes sense; that's totally an angle a lot of architectural beauty shots use.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 16 Jun 2018, 10:48

Ohhhhhh ...

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jun 2018, 12:29

Incredibles 2
I don't know why I had to wait 15 years for this. It's a worthy squeal. Stays in it's lane but on a different road.
Edna Mode Edna Moded, which is nice. But not as much as the first movie. Edna needs more screen time. In fact, you know what? Edna needs her own movie.

Bud Luckey who was the voice of government liaison Rick Dicker in the first movie, passed away this year and gets a dedication. He was replaced by Jonathan Banks. Between him and Bob Odenkirk, there was a Better Call Saul vibe that I found distracting, but that may be just me as I'm gearing up for the return in Aug.

Trailers were all for children's movies. Ugh, kids movies look dismal. LEAVE THE GRINCH ALONE GODDAMNIT The Chuck Jones version was definitive. The sole bright spot is Ralph Breaks the Internet.

From the posters, They remade and gender flipped Overboard. Really? Show of hands, who thinks this was a good idea.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Jun 2018, 11:57

Watched The Limey again. It'd been a while. Such a good movie. Getting Stamp, Fonda, and Newman all in it was an amazing trick.

Also, this was the first time I noticed that "King Midas in Reverse" is played when Fonda's character is introduced. Cleverness on someone's part.

Until reading just now on wiki, I had no clue that Nicky Katt's sidekick is Joe Dallesandro. Holy shit.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Jun 2018, 01:05

I finally saw American Graffiti.

I think it's the best film that Lucas ever directed.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2018, 18:09

Saw the "Rise" and "Dawn" of the Planet of the Apes reboot, which were pretty good, and also likely to make good fodder for some student 100 years hence writing terms papers about the American zeitgeist back in the day -- IIRC, in the original Planet of the Apes movie, what ruined humanity and gave rise to the rest of the apes was a nuclear war; in the reboot, it was a genetically engineered virus.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 Jun 2018, 00:36

Don Johnson was good fun in the otherwise mediocre Guilty as Sin.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2018, 01:28

Went on a John Carpenter kick and watched Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. I know the latter is not very popular among Carpenter fans, but I'd always thought it was one of the better Lovecraft-style movies I've seen. Hadn't seen PoD before; had I seen it when it was new, it definitely would've scared the hell out of me.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 28 Jun 2018, 12:41

Jennifer wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 01:28
Went on a John Carpenter kick and watched Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness. I know the latter is not very popular among Carpenter fans, but I'd always thought it was one of the better Lovecraft-style movies I've seen. Hadn't seen PoD before; had I seen it when it was new, it definitely would've scared the hell out of me.
Along with his The Thing, they make what he calls his "apocalypse trilogy". Fan of all of them.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jun 2018, 13:49

dbcooper wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 10:48
Ohhhhhh ...

Criterion is generally one of the best cover art outfits in the biz

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 28 Jun 2018, 14:13

Jasper wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 12:41
Jennifer wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 01:28
Along with his The Thing, they make what he calls his "apocalypse trilogy". Fan of all of them.
Yeah, I only learned about PoD when reading about Madness and The Thing (both of which I'd seen already). I especially liked the whole "alien Jesus/subatomic evil" angle of PoD; I don't know if there's an actual name for the trope "taking longstanding legends or stories and inventing a new explanation for them," but I've always liked it.